Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
We have 37 contracts signed for next season. 13 spots remaining

8 Pending RFA - (Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Baptiste, Gagne, Carcone, Subban, McAdam)
9 Pending UFA - (Hutchinson, Olesky, LoVerde, Jooris, Mueller, Marincin, Hainsey, Gardiner, Ennis)
I dont see any of the UFA Back, and from the RFA, Marner, Kap, AJ and Carcone get contracts. Although AJ and Kap could be moved..

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We have 37 contracts signed for next season. 13 spots remaining

8 Pending RFA - (Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Baptiste, Gagne, Carcone, Subban, McAdam)
9 Pending UFA - (Hutchinson, Olesky, LoVerde, Jooris, Mueller, Marincin, Hainsey, Gardiner, Ennis)
Assume the obvious Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and Carcone re-sign. Everyone else is likely let go, unless they dump Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown and squeeze in Jake Gardiner, which I think is highly unlikely. 41 contracts with at least 2 bodies going out the door.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Great signing, congratulations. Reminiscent of Nutivaara for Columbus Blue Jackets.

Best D of Kärpät, who were the best team in Liiga(even though they finished second). Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more successful than Oliwer Kaski in the end.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Great signing, congratulations. Reminiscent of Nutivaara for Columbus Blue Jackets.

Best D of Kärpät, who were the best team in Liiga(even though they finished second). Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more successful than Oliwer Kaski in the end.

He has had a really positive reception here on the boards and in certain media outlets, but I wish I knew more of him.

Hopefully he translates to the NHL.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
The Marlies will have Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak, Holl, Lindgren and Rasanen on the right side next season. Potentially Jordan Subban as well if tendered an offer. So far, they only have Sandin on the left. Now, they have added Kivihalme. Potentially Fedor Gordeev as well if tendered an offer. To balance pairings it made sense to grab a good LHD pro ready prospect. They are still likely in on Kaski, as of now he won't sign until after the World Championships and Detroit is the favorite. What if they miss on Kaski? Now they have options in house.

As a secondary option to Kaski, Chase Priskie becomes FA on August 15th. He's another RHD.

Borgman is the front runner for the #7 D.
I thought it was reported that Detroit has signed Kaski.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Assume the obvious Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and Carcone re-sign. Everyone else is likely let go, unless they dump Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown and squeeze in Jake Gardiner, which I think is highly unlikely. 41 contracts with at least 2 bodies going out the door.

What is wrong with you, we are not signing Jake Gardiner, let that be some other GM's 7 Million dollar mistake! If we are lucky enough to get somebody to take Zaitsev and Marleau without it costing us an arm and a leg I will be building a statue of Dubas

Reactions: teddygmr

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I don't think that's a given. AJ may price himself out, they may find a RHD as part of a kap deal. Who knows

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Uhh... he looks like he could be Nylander's brother...

Teemu+Kivihalme+NHL+Draft+Portraits+7jL9VUkbErjl.jpg

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
My good buddy George might have some insight on this.

@GeorgeLeafer12 - what are your thoughts on this?

Few things, nothing profound... :)

Great skater, tons of offensive skill, is pretty aggressive, well... can be (at times)
isn't afraid of physical situations (d-zone, front of net, corners), even if is far away from physical type
tries hard on his own end.

I think his 2-way game is underrated (although he is offensive minded d-man), i think he is pretty versatile d-man

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Few things, nothing profound... :)

Great skater, tons of offensive skill, is pretty aggressive, well... can be (at times)
isn't afraid of physical situations (d-zone, front of net, corners), even if is far away from physical type
tries hard on his own end.

I think his 2-way game is underrated (although he is offensive minded d-man), i think he is pretty versatile d-man
Thanks George.

How do you think his skillset translates to the NHL?

Should we expect him to play? Is he more of an AHL guy?

In comparison to Ozhiganov, should we be expecting more? Less?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Lilejgren, Rosen, Borgman start the season in the NHL:

Sandin-Hollowell
Kivihalme-Lindgren
???-Duszak

??? = Gordeev, Rasanen or an AHL vet.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Thanks George.

How do you think his skillset translates to the NHL?

Should we expect him to play? Is he more of an AHL guy?

In comparison to Ozhiganov, should we be expecting more? Less?

At this point, nothing can be certain but uncertain :) All of you can just hope for the best and wait and see :)

Personally, i think he is NHL ready, (even thou ive been more right than wrong, this is only my take, pretty sure others would disagree)
- its not like he needs to learn how to play on a smaller ice or anything, he was after all born and raised in US, is NCAA " made man "
in a sense that, he has gone trough the whole NCAA route.

Reactions: diceman934

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's possible that both Rosén and Sandin move up, which means we'll need a next wave coming in. This seems like a signing in the same vein as Rosén. Someone approaching their prime who is good but needs to take another step to be an NHLer. Worst case scenario, he'll provide some quality to the Marlies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
What is wrong with you, we are not signing Jake Gardiner, let that be some other GM's 7 Million dollar mistake! If we are lucky enough to get somebody to take Zaitsev and Marleau without it costing us an arm and a leg I will be building a statue of Dubas
He's a Dubas type player. If they have the cap space, the deal is reasonable, there aren't better options and those mentioned are gone, I could see it. Lots of ifs there. If they had the space I'd rather target Myers or Stralman on smaller contracts over less term than commit to Gardiner long term. It also brings in a right handed shot. I just felt if anyone came back, which I don't anticipate, it would be Gardiner in a world where all those things line up.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He has had a really positive reception here on the boards and in certain media outlets, but I wish I knew more of him.

Hopefully he translates to the NHL.
Comparable is Nutivaara, like I mentioned. In short, he's an offensive defenseman, good skating and positioning. A very significant small-ice background, hence no issues with transition. Greatest strength skating.

But wow, this signing was called 3 weeks ago on here. Nice sources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad