The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
lol i dunno, earthquakes, or creeping danger or even NPCs noticin things are off. lol

Just saying "this is urgent" but not having the gameplay convey that is a failure.

You can't make a game this open and have urgency at the same time. They are diametrically opposed.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Got all the memories and did the last Beast yesterday. I'm ready to do beat it just for the sake of doing it, then I can load up a last save and do any late exploring to see if I missed anything.

Also I only found out last week that

[spoil]'Throwing' the Master Sword will shoot it's beam :facepalm: I obviously tried a charge attack and regular attack the second I found it but never did I think throwing it would not throw it so I didn't try :laugh: Oh well lol [/spoil]

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Just saying "this is urgent" but not having the gameplay convey that is a failure.

You can't make a game this open and have urgency at the same time. They are diametrically opposed.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I mean, I'm 55 hours into the game already, and I'm going to top 100 before I even think about going to Ganon. I don't want urgency.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They clearly didn't want any urgency.

It is the same "issue" as Bethesda games. The story claims urgency but you can take your sweet team to finish the main quest, if you even bother to do it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It had all the urgency it needed and could convey: a massive Castle you can see from almost anywhere being overrun by evil magic that killed you 100 years ago.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spoiler free: is the Castle worth exploring before Ganon? I have a couple of side quests to take care of.

For sure. The Castle is quite large.

I basically scaled the side of it and by-passed most of it and only found out how cool a place it is after I finished the game.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hyrule Castle is a great way to load up on quality weapons, shields, and bows. It is the coolest area in the entire game. Just don't go into the Sanctum at the top or you'll engage Ganon.

As far as the urgency goes, that was certainly not the intention of the way the game is designed. It is a departure from the linear experience of prior games and invites you to go your own route at your own pace. I felt a tad overwhelmed immediately after the plateau, but it went away quickly as I explored. I get urgency out of the battles with multiple enemies, guardians, or mini-bosses like Lynels and Moldugas. Do you maybe mean you need more purpose or direction?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have a Wii U and really want to pick this up. Is there any major difference between the version on the U and the Switch version?

some framedrops etc. it's funny. in my first playthrough i had ZERO problems.
the second playthrough i'm noticing what people were complaning about. but honestly. pick it up (if you can). a lot of places are out or have a big month+ wait.

Hyrule Castle is a great way to load up on quality weapons, shields, and bows. It is the coolest area in the entire game. Just don't go into the Sanctum at the top or you'll engage Ganon.

As far as the urgency goes, that was certainly not the intention of the way the game is designed. It is a departure from the linear experience of prior games and invites you to go your own route at your own pace. I felt a tad overwhelmed immediately after the plateau, but it went away quickly as I explored. I get urgency out of the battles with multiple enemies, guardians, or mini-bosses like Lynels and Moldugas. Do you maybe mean you need more purpose or direction?

i don't know. like maybe? I was watching a review and it was touching on what y'all were saying. if you have a huge open, go anywhere world, you do lose out on the story and "urgency/purpose" etc so maybe that bugs me. more than I thought. not enough to NOT to say it wasn't an amazing game, (because it is!), but there was a lot of "hey, this happened 100 years ago." and less "hey, it looks like ganon is getting stronger, omg, so skeered." etc. but then as it is basically Zelda 1 remastered for the most part - that's okay.

and if they have a sequel (so to speak) based on this i'd be okay too (pls less lynels even though i killed a white zebra one, yay!), because I like/love all Zeldas i've played but I think for me, i do like the TP/WW/MM inspired Zelda (because i LOVE the story) where this was really enjoyable for a let's go explore thing. if that makes sense.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
75 shrines of 120.
i'm almost there
(i have to say the shrine thing iis so tricky, because if you are literally on top of it, but it's under ground you look ALL over and it's like wtf?!) then you find something new and it's like ooohhhhh there. you. are.

(also having one shrine completely covered with Guardians? not cool, game.).

I've decided i am not gonna bother with the Koroks. if i find'em, i find'em.

Cyrus

Jan 20, 2007
Calgary, AB
Can anyone tell me what the spider/skulltulla situation in the game?

Basically every Zelda game since OoT (except for Windwaker) has had a forest temple filled with spiderwebs and spiders/skulltullas that make the games unplayable for me as an arachnophobe :cry:. I want to pick this up, but I don't want to make the investment if I'm going to have to shut it down at the first temple.

I've seen some pictures of the guardians that look mechanically spider-like, and they don't look too bad, but I can't find any info on whether there are any other spiders in the game.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
So I found a shrine within Hyrule Castle.

I can't just warp to it, can I? Because I need to refill on ancient arrows :laugh:

Also, I got a blood moon while I was there.....and I lost my mind, but nothing happened.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Can anyone tell me what the spider/skulltulla situation in the game?

Basically every Zelda game since OoT (except for Windwaker) has had a forest temple filled with spiderwebs and spiders/skulltullas that make the games unplayable for me as an arachnophobe :cry:. I want to pick this up, but I don't want to make the investment if I'm going to have to shut it down at the first temple.

I've seen some pictures of the guardians that look mechanically spider-like, and they don't look too bad, but I can't find any info on whether there are any other spiders in the game.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean, there's crabs? You might freak out thinking that's a spider? That's about it.

Cyrus

Jan 20, 2007
Calgary, AB
I don't remember seeing any spiders as enemies actually.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean, there's crabs? You might freak out thinking that's a spider? That's about it.

Awesome, thanks for the info! :handclap:

Crabs I can deal with - I usually try and trick myself into thinking spiders are crabs to help with video games (makes total sense, I know).

Time to find a Switch and get going!

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I am curious as to what controllers people used. I found the JoyCons extremely uncomfortable when attached to the Switch, but didn't try them otherwise. I used to Switch Pro Controller. It's a tad heavy, but one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I like the handheld mode.

Right now I'm using the Joycon holder and I've started to notice after extended play some thumb/wrist discomfort. Might have to get a pro just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad