The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There are four more parts of that gameplay session.

I'm loving what it looks like so far. I definitely get why people are comparing it Zelda 1.

All the major written impressions I've seen seem to also be extremely positive.

Some more exploring

Shrine footage, the games mini-dungeons. This build didn't have the any actual dungeons but there will be in the final game apparently.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The trailer reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus quite a bit. I love the art style and expansive environment.

The gameplay they showed during their streaming session was also impressive. The new systems they've added are also very intriguing.

In conclusion, 10/10 presentation. Hype Train is full speed ahead. Depending on how the actual console is I might get a Breath of the Wild + NX Console bundle.

JA

It looks beautiful.

More like Wind Waker in style than the realistic Zelda games.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
This was certainly best of show to me at E3, lived up to my expectations for sure!

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That is so...bizarre. Not in a bad way either.

In some senses, it doesn't even look like Zelda. No familiar Green tunic, no legendary macguffin in the form of a specific sword, completely different mechanics like multiple sword like weapons, crafting, alchemy. Then the stuff like multiple mounts, wildfires and all that other crazy ****

People wanted Nintendo to change it up. Well, here you go.

I know the first impressions are very good, but my big concern is if the game has become too "Western-ized." But seeing it's Nintendo, my fear is probably unfounded.

This game is a huge crossroad in the history of the francise. If this flops (which i seriously doubt), it could be a big blow. If it succeeds, it could convince Nintendo to actually take a risk with their other IP's.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

In some senses, it doesn't even look like Zelda. No familiar Green tunic, no legendary macguffin in the form of a specific sword, completely different mechanics like multiple sword like weapons, crafting, alchemy. Then the stuff like multiple mounts, wildfires and all that other crazy ****

I know the first impressions are very good, but my big concern is if the game has become too "Western-ized." But seeing it's Nintendo, my fear is probably unfounded.

This game is a huge crossroad in the history of the francise. If this flops (which i seriously doubt), it could be a big blow. If it succeeds, it could convince Nintendo to actually take a risk with their other IP's.

I would imagine - that instead of getting the tunic right away, you learn how to make it, or something like that. I did see the Sword in a trailer.

I think what they did was take all the skyword sword crafting - and just installed it into Link instead. so instead of running into a shop, you learn techniques to do it. (I'll admit - I didn't really like this aspect of SS - I don't mind the sidequests etc (Majora's Mask is one of my favourites for that) but the hunt/gather of items to get things you may need, and then finding the hylian shield in a battle royal irked me.

I remember long ago (ah, the delays), that Nintendo wanted to make this game the next Ocarina of Time. Before OoT - nothing like that was there, and now every game since was very much "get a companion, go to a training dungeon, figure things out, get 3 things, oh look the 3 things lead to piecing together something else, you need to go to 6-7-9 things, Zelda is in trouble, must save Zelda some how.
annnnndddd scene.

So I think what they wanted to do for the 30th was just reboot the franchise, and really re-imagine Zelda 1. (something they had wanted to do for a while, but never really had the path to go). well, I think here you go. you wake up, (for whatever reason), and you leave your house, and to go all Aladdin... it's a whole new world, shining, shimmering splendid, and you just let your heart decide which way to go. but now that it's 3D.. hey why not learn how to fish, (and make it mean something), or have the weather impact your health. We're not going to make it easy for you.

I can see the appeal (I know a lot of Zelda fans were complainng how easy it is, and this actual planning for night/weather/food does add difficulty. you just can't run all night and all day, etc. and find hearts when you get hit - you need to actually eat and heal). as a "new-ish" Zelda fan (even though I've played everything twice (Twilight Princess 3 times), ) i kind of liked the old way. lol. but i am open to this. I have the WiiU version pre-ordered. but I wouldnt mind getting the bundled version for the NX

I do love the art work. but I am finding it when they could have gone for art styles why not go back to the realistic TP version instead of a SS/WW blend.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Smart decision with the art style. Not that Nintendo has ever made Zelda a realistic-looking game, but I think it's a better direction to go to make it more artsy with cell-shading as Nintendo simply can't compete graphically with other systems. You look at something like The Wind Waker and it really hasn't aged at all due to the style of graphics.

I feel like this is the only game that makes me regret not having a Wii U. Still not enough to actually get me to purchase the system, but I'd assume it will be a system seller for some out there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Nintendo is not afraid to take risks with their IP's. Look at Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Wariors, Pokken Tournament, SMT x FE, Starfox Adventures, DK Jungle Beat, etc. Even going back 10 years they aren't afraid to spice things up, I don't know where this "rehash" narrative comes from.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nintendo is not afraid to take risks with their IP's. Look at Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Wariors, Pokken Tournament, SMT x FE, Starfox Adventures, DK Jungle Beat, etc. Even going back 10 years they aren't afraid to spice things up, I don't know where this "rehash" narrative comes from.

They have been really safe with Mario this gen. While the games they released are fun, most really want something like another galaxy which was a fresher experience.

They haven't broken the Zelda mode since Zelda 2 and they put it right back afterward. Some might say OoT but at its heart it really is just Link to the Past in 3D.

There is a reason they have stuck to the formula for so long. It works so it is risky to stray away with that. He'll just the idea of hunting and killing game for food is kind of dark for a Zelda game.

It seems the big idea in place here was "what if we let people climb everywhere?" And you get the giant nature reserve that is this game's hyrule and you literally can climb everywhere.

Astetiticly the game reminds me more of journey on PSN than Colossus to be honest. It has a much more vibrant color palette than Team Ico's game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Mario is a platformer at it's core, hard to change that up a ton.

At the end of the day, what they seem to be doing with Breath of the Wild is sort of a reboot: Zelda was always about exploration but they've decided to double down on it while ditching the Link to the Past model which had run it's course.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Mario is a platformer at it's core, hard to change that up a ton.

At the end of the day, what they seem to be doing with Breath of the Wild is sort of a reboot: Zelda was always about exploration but they've decided to double down on it while ditching the Link to the Past model which had run it's course.

It looks like they'd already experimented with this a couple years ago with Link Between Worlds.

LBW was the first Zelda game since the original where it was really designed to be able to do dungeons in any order. Looks like they have taken that concept now and applied it to the big console.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It looks like they'd already experimented with this a couple years ago with Link Between Worlds.

LBW was the first Zelda game since the original where it was really designed to be able to do dungeons in any order. Looks like they have taken that concept now and applied it to the big console.

Which is encouraging because A Link Between Worlds is probably the second best Zelda game (after A Link to the Past).

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Which is encouraging because A Link Between Worlds is probably the second best Zelda game (after A Link to the Past).

I love LttP. It's a great game. But I have LttP as the 2nd best Zelda game (after Ocarina of Time) and the 2nd best game overall on the SNES (Super Metroid is impossible to top - it's basically a perfect game).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
what's a Link Between Worlds? I haven't played that one. (I've played 1, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Windmaker).

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm not sure I'm into the idea of technology in a Zelda game, but we'll see how it plays out.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Smart decision with the art style. Not that Nintendo has ever made Zelda a realistic-looking game, but I think it's a better direction to go to make it more artsy with cell-shading as Nintendo simply can't compete graphically with other systems. You look at something like The Wind Waker and it really hasn't aged at all due to the style of graphics.

I feel like this is the only game that makes me regret not having a Wii U. Still not enough to actually get me to purchase the system, but I'd assume it will be a system seller for some out there.

I don't think it's so much about Nintendo hardware not being able to do realistic graphics, but rather the art style itself. No matter how many years/generations pass by, the fundamental idea has always been the same: games with realistic art styles tend to age poorly compared to animated/cartoony art styles. For instance, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask opted for a more realistic looking style and it has aged like milk compared to Wind Waker's unique and cartoony style.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I recognize evolution and change as being positive things, but I'm reading posts in this thread that say stuff like "people wanted change and now they've got it" and stuff like that

Am I alone in being ready and willing to pay money to play OoT 2.0 for the rest of time? Like it is great that they are giving us this huge new game with all of these features but I'd play new Oracle of ____ games on 3DS (even if they had same graphics as the other Oracle games) if it meant we got the games a bit closer together

I am hyped up for this game but I don't have this huge feeling like "oh man all this waiting is going to pay off!"

Last time we waited a few years and got Skyward Sword... not saying this game is going to be as underwhelming as that was, just that I don't need them to reinvent the wheel, just make a good Zelda game a bit more often

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I do love the art work. but I am finding it when they could have gone for art styles why not go back to the realistic TP version instead of a SS/WW blend.

In this regard Nintendo kind of has a kind of a funny history here with Zelda when you stop and think about it.

When they were launching the Gamecube, they showed off a Zelda demo that was basically adult Link in a souped up Ocarina of time... and people loved it. Then x(?) years later they showed off the Zelda they were actually making, Wind Waker with toon Link... and people lost their **** :laugh:. Zelda fans were crying, and non-Zelda fans were making fun of them.

Game design and concept art is typically started quite early in the process, so these reactions were probably a key influence in the style they chose for Twilight Princess. Yet in hindsight, despite all the fuss people loved Windwaker but were indifferent to Twilight Princess. I'm sure Nintendo learned a lesson here, and for Skyward Sword and now Breath of the Wild they've chosen an art style that's something inbetween WW and TP. A little closer to TP in SS, and now back a little more towards WW in BW.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I still think that Twilight Princess had the best art style, but this still looks pretty good. I probably won't end up getting it because I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the money for a WiiU or NX when this would be the only game I would get.

This is certainly different from previous titles and this looks like it could be a good challenge for long time fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->