The Laine/Torts relationship

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
All I know is this makes a TON more sense than benching a new superstar player for a few defensive lapses after 4 games. Hopefully the faucet continues to "leak" and we hear more about what was said and to whom. Regardless, this new info certainly changes my opinion on the benching.

Will be interesting to see how Laine responds and what the long term impact is.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
There was agreement with Jarmo and PLDs agent to not discuss and keep it in house, Jarmo told agent they agreed with this, and then Torts went on air, and took it personal, even calling pld out on air to tell his teammates why

I can understand how you might disagree with Torts' approach, that's reasonable. I just wanted to point out that you're misrepresenting the facts nearly to the point of making shit up.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Just to get the timeline straight...

There was some interaction between an assistant coach (sorry, I don’t know them)and Laine and Laine “mouthed off” this coach.
Then this coach goes to Torts and tells him the new guy swore at him.
(Obviously this was the most important thing to do during a close game.)
Torts then benched Laine based on this information.
Neither Torts nor the assistant coach speak with Laine after the match and Torts wants to keep everything in-house.
The next day the players have a day off, hence still no communication with Laine.
There is a meeting with Koivu (retirement) but still no meeting with Laine.
A few hours later this story makes the news.
But still no one talks to Laine?

So all is based on the information the assistant coach passed on to Torts?

Imho there is no issue between Laine and Torts (except not talking the same evening and clear things up) but between the assistant coach and Laine.

Is this coach any good? Is he responsible for PP and forwards? Has there been issues with this coach in the past?

Thanks in advance.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

There was some interaction between an assistant coach (sorry, I don’t know them)and Laine and Laine “mouthed off” this coach.
Neither Torts nor the assistant coach speak with Laine after the match and Torts wants to keep everything in-house.
The next day the players have a day off, hence still no communication with Laine.

Imho there is no issue between Laine and Torts (except not talking the same evening and clear things up) but between the assistant coach and Laine.

Is this coach any good? Is he responsible for PP and forwards? Has there been issues with this coach in the past?

Thanks in advance.
There's quite a lot of speculation in there and it seems to be leaning largely towards "can we pin everything on this assistant coach". While there's already a lot of folks here who would happily back throwing Larsen in particular out on a rail, I'd rather avoid that kind of speculation if it can be helped. :D It just adds to the drama.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
Too bad this story leaked while it was supposed to stay in house. In the end, Laine was humiliated by the CBJ organization twice: benched first then trashed in the media after only 4 games with CBJ.
I do not really see how he would like to sign a long term contract with Columbus in these conditions.

On the other hand, you definitely need respect between players and staff, so I understand the benching better under this light, even if a discussion can sometimes bring more than a raw punishment. However, respect needs to go both ways.

If the staff leaked the story, I really do not see how Laine would decide to stay more than a year with such a staff, which says a thing and does the opposite. And IMO, such a behavior is way worse than a mouth abuse..

If a player leaked the story, same story. Means that there is no group unity. If what happened between Laine and the staff was known by the players, it is strange that Cam talked about lack of effort to justify Laine's benching.

TBH, I am still sad that PLD is gone, whatever his faults are. Laine is a pure sniper, but PLD is a much more complete player, and there are some games where he was just amazing in any situations (defense, offense, with or without the puck). He fitted also way more with Torts style of play than Laine.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019

Thanks in advance.

I really hope that Koivu retired for the reason he mentioned and not because he could not stand the way he was coached here in Columbus.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I really hope that Koivu retired for the reason he mentioned and not because he could not stand the way he was coached here in Columbus.
I only mentioned his retirement because it happened on the day off.
Initially he signed with CBJ because he wanted to have success in the playoffs.
Then he caught covid, the #1 C left the team and both top2 D took a step backward.
And Koivu is no drama fan.
It all added up.
Both Torts and GMJK wanted to keep him but he roger murtaughed it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can understand how you might disagree with Torts' approach, that's reasonable. I just wanted to point out that you're misrepresenting the facts nearly to the point of making shit up.
What am I making up ? There were tweets by writers saying this was supposed to stay behind closed doors, and Torts when on the Radio and did the opposite and made situation nuclear

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What am I making up ? There were tweets by writers saying this was supposed to stay behind closed doors, and Torts when on the Radio and did the opposite and made situation nuclear

You implied that Torts was the leak - maybe that wasn't intentional.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
There's quite a lot of speculation in there and it seems to be leaning largely towards "can we pin everything on this assistant coach". While there's already a lot of folks here who would happily back throwing Larsen in particular out on a rail, I'd rather avoid that kind of speculation if it can be helped. :D It just adds to the drama.
So Laine’s disrespect was towards Larsen? And Larsen is more or less the worst offensive coach in the league? And he told Torts what Laine did, allegedly?
Or could it been some other coach? Or Torts himself?

If it was Larsen, I could understand if he feels threatened with Laine’s arrival.
Suddenly players start to shoot, they admire Laine’s shot and they even score on PP.
Domi wants to see Laine’s shot. Roz is like “wait and see, you won’t be disappointed” and even Mr. Powerperimetercircle himself shoots on goal.
Sure, Laine is not the best player to carry the puck in, but he at least tries instead of dumping every puck.
And Rozies goal (sure lucky) was so not CBJ because he risked something only Atkinson is allowed on a PS.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You implied that Torts was the leak - maybe that wasn't intentional.
I implied the facts that happened ... doesnt matter if it was intentional or not. Agreement between front office and agent were to keep it (PLD TRADE REQUEST DETAILS) behind closed doors... Torts with his ego couldnt stand that it may be another player wanting out because of him.. which were the murmurs ... so in his on air interview in Columbus he torpedoed the agreement, and went as far as to publicy challenge PLD to tell his teammates why ? Now were suprised this leaked with Laine 1 day after he said it would stay behind closed doors this leaks out ?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I love how we're bending over backwards to side with Laine and blame Torts. So what if he DID think our power play strategy is stupid? (It is.) There's a right way and right time to express his concerns.

yeah the thing is everyone is blaminh Torts or Laine, but we don't have any ingormation except the result.

Did he offer interesting insights on some of the PP flaws in a respectful manner and it rubbed the coaches the wrong way? Or did he come in claiming his way is the best and that they don't know what they're talking about?

Or is it even PP related, perhaps something completely unrelated happened.

Also, that Columbus GM must have a ton of faith in Torts, seems like he's getting the "difficult" but talented players from other teams this season (Domi, Laine). Seems like a dangerous path to take but props on the guy for always trying to improve the team, I appreciate that with him

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I implied the facts that happened ... doesnt matter if it was intentional or not. Agreement between front office and agent were to keep it (PLD TRADE REQUEST DETAILS) behind closed doors... Torts with his ego couldnt stand that it may be another player wanting out because of him.. which were the murmurs ... so in his on air interview in Columbus he torpedoed the agreement, and went as far as to publicy challenge PLD to tell his teammates why ? Now were suprised this leaked with Laine 1 day after he said it would stay behind closed doors this leaks out ?

Right, so you don't like how Torts handled it, but he was not "the leak." Cool.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Torts didn't comment on it publicly (unless on a boring Zoom call that I missed) until it became public. Pierre LeBrun reported it first and I believe he said he got it from sources on different teams from around the league or something to that effect. So somebody, somewhere leaked it and it made its way to The Athletic and became public knowledge.

Now, if Torts wanted to keep it in house he shouldn't have done an extended radio interview where he complained about PLD (comparing him asking out to Bobrovsky/Panarin just riding out their contracts) and then called him out ("he needs to be a man and just tell his teammates directly"), etc. etc.

So Torts didn't break it first (unless he secretly leaked it to LeBrun), but he certainly piled on once it was out there. Of course, Torts loves himself some conflict and drama so he didn't shy away from it even though he loves to preach about how they keep the "locker room things" in the locker room.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts didn't comment on it publicly (unless on a boring Zoom call that I missed) until it became public. Pierre LeBrun reported it first and I believe he said he got it from sources on different teams from around the league or something to that effect. So somebody, somewhere leaked it and it made its way to The Athletic and became public knowledge.

Now, if Torts wanted to keep it in house he shouldn't have done an extended radio interview where he complained about PLD (comparing him asking out to Bobrovsky/Panarin just riding out their contracts) and then called him out ("he needs to be a man and just tell his teammates directly"), etc. etc.

So Torts didn't break it first (unless he secretly leaked it to LeBrun), but he certainly piled on once it was out there. Of course, Torts loves himself some conflict and drama so he didn't shy away from it even though he loves to preach about how they keep the "locker room things" in the locker room.
Would you like a link to his radio interview here in Columbus ?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Since all we get is "Laine mouthed of an assistant coach" we have no idea if he did it unprovoked or not.

My guess is that the coach went to far with something he said and rightfully got something thrown back at him. But Tortorella seems to be the kind of donkey that thinks the screaming is a one-way street.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I said it twice, and I’ll say it thrice:

I’d rather be bad and principled than good and entitled/lazy.

Laine talked a good game before arriving in Columbus. People don’t change overnight. Time will tell if he’ll take his medicine. This is the first dose. If it doesn’t work long term, he’ll be the guy whose selfish play got jettisoned from two teams by age 23. And I’ll still stand behind Torts. The preponderance of evidence shows he backs his players, doesn’t play favorites, and adheres to fundamental coaching principles. If all the “good” players in the modern NHL don’t want to be part of it, then I’m fine being bad, because how you win is just as important as winning. Unless you’re really just into lining the pockets of billionaires with your fandom. The spirit of the game matters.

Pretty sure owning the Jackets is a net loss for McConnell.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I still need more info before I would have an absolute opinion.
To me things happen in games with players and coaches. I think it was AFC Championship game Tyreek Hill pushed his position coach. It happens.
For the CBJ - we've seen Torts absolutely rip into players on the bench.
So at some point it would be good to know the whole story. What was said and what was said to him. At this point it's all speculation.

I do agree it's likely not a good way to get Laine excited about signing long term, but let's hope he take it constructively and maybe it doesn't hurt.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
People need to stop with this "he has a history of this stuff" "hes known for these kind of incidents" nonsense. It was one incident as a teenager, no more known history. I mean if he has such a history for it then why was there no talk at all about it here when the trade happened? Surely if it was so well known it would've been brought up no? Why is this history suddenly there now? Not defending Laine or saying he did nothing wrong here but some of these takes are just silly.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
If your boss acts like a tool, the correct response is not to become a tool yourself. There is a hierarchy in this relationship that needs to be respected at all times. Professionalism is another word for it.

It sure sounds professional to scream at people under you and then snap and assert authority when they scream back at you.

Is it a cultural difference between America and Europe?

Is it more American to be a bit more beta around the boss in the US?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad