The Laine/Torts relationship

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Can someone paste that dispatch story to here? You can't see it in EU area without logging in. Or just main points?

Other than the main headline, that Laine was benched for mouthing off to an assistant coach, the article doesn't really add anything else. It has the quotes from postgame with Torts when he says he wants the reason to stay in house, but that it wasn't just because of a missed assignment. The Dispatch reporter reached out to Jarmo, and Laine's agents (Andy Scott and Mike Liut) and all parties declined to comment. The Jackets had an off day so neither Laine nor Torts spoke to the media. It ends with the quote by Roslovic saying he expects Laine to learn from the experience and be on the of the best players in the next game.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Other than the main headline, that Laine was benched for mouthing off to an assistant coach, the article doesn't really add anything else. It has the quotes from postgame with Torts when he says he wants the reason to stay in house, but that it wasn't just because of a missed assignment. The Dispatch reporter reached out to Jarmo, and Laine's agents (Andy Scott and Mike Liut) and all parties declined to comment. The Jackets had an off day so neither Laine nor Torts spoke to the media. It ends with the quote by Roslovic saying he expects Laine to learn from the experience and be on the of the best players in the next game.
It would be nice to know what that mouthing is. Here is an example about mouthing from another famous Finn. :D

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Can someone paste that dispatch story to here? You can't see it in EU area without logging in. Or just main points?

Athletic claims the cause for benching Laine was that he "verbally disrespected" an assistant coach at the bench.

No details.

What's a bit rotten in the story is that Tortorella claimed it stays in house and yet it was leaked to the media in 24 hours. That stinks.

But in any case, then I support the benching and I am sure they will have a good talk and come out stronger, unless that said assistant coach is a drama queen.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It would be nice to know what that mouthing is. Here is an example about mouthing from another famous Finn. :D

I am not surprise if it really is similar situation: Laine is already pissed of by the goal against and the assistant coach reaches him to say 1+1=2. Laine tells him to F O and forgets to add "sir".

As an introvert, Laine is his biggest critic already. He rarely needs to be told he has Effed it up when he knows it already.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Nothing is proven. This all could be a ducking hoax. This stupid drama was all over Winny forums soooo often it became boring.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Athletic claims the cause for benching Laine was that he "verbally disrespected" an assistant coach at the bench.

No details.

What's a bit rotten in the story is that Tortorella claimed it stays in house and yet it was leaked to the media in 24 hours. That stinks.

But in any case, then I support the benching and I am sure they will have a good talk and come out stronger, unless that said assistant coach is a drama queen.
Secrets don't usually stay secret for very long when there are a lot of people who have the information and a lot of people who want the information.

Reactions: Halberdier

swift

Dec 11, 2005
www.lentovelho.fi
When you start complaining or disrespecting a coach, in your 4th game in an new organization, I would call that a pretty a-hole move.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know if it's right or not. But one thing is as easy as pulling hens' teeth. I know Patrik fans don'l like it but they must know Patrik must behave like he-male and not like a spoled child.
Patrik is a part of a team and not a team is part of Patrik. Look at Kucherov, Ovechkin, Selänne or, for example P. Kane, their behavior.
That's a way I think Torts was right. If he wouldn't make it he could lost a team, have problems in the locker room.
By the way they who say Torts is ... and let he is fire absolutelly they detrimental to Patrik. Torts can make an excelent hockey player for ním who can be like I wrote not only a "spoiled child with great shot and hockey skill" but a player like Ovechkin. Patrik has this potential.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Didn’t one of the Finns say there was a story of Laine threatening to kill a coach in his junior career ?

Would not surprise me. Know people who knew him as a teenager. Said he was a real asshole to everyone

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
or, for example P. Kane, their behavior.

So you say Laine should drink more an be abusive outside of the rink?

This "disrespect" thing is so how to say it... North-American thing? Everyone is full of himself and keeps mouthing and bragging like no tomorrow. But if someone says something back it is disrespecting etc. We finns tend to mind our own busines and keep to ourselves. We know when we screwed up and we surely dont want someone else to come and start mentioning it or "turning the knive in the wound". We also dont have the same kind of hierarchy and "fear of the lord" as north americans have. So we are willing to tell our bosses to piss of if we disagree them.

But who knowst what is the truth in this. He might have only disagreed on something or told someone to go F himself. But so? I have followed NHL for 30 years and telling someone to F himself is quite a common phrase.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I could see Laine being pissed off about his performance and when a coach came to say something (which is his job actually) the fuse blew off. It can happen to most of us in the heat of the moment. Is it right? No. But I wouldn't call that disrespectful per se. Also, it's a thing that'll usually iron out when years go by (but not for everyone).

So IF something was said, it depends on what was said and why. It can be very disrespectful or it can be just a frustrated person's blurt. Latter one is probably wiped off very quickly with a brief conversation and an apology. Hell, Torts himself should know how a human mind works when frustrated :laugh:

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Since all we get is "Laine mouthed of an assistant coach" we have no idea if he did it unprovoked or not.

My guess is that the coach went to far with something he said and rightfully got something thrown back at him. But Tortorella seems to be the kind of donkey that thinks the screaming is a one-way street.

Reactions: hn777

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Jets fan here. Guess what.. it's Laine thats the drama queen. Quite apparent now that he's an entitled person who thinks he deserves more than he works for. Effort level has been a problem his whole career
It's not him being a drama queen. And it's not about the effort. He is simply too harsh to himself, if he doesn't score or hits the post he's basically raging to himself, he demands so much.

I can see the scenario when Laine is extremely frustrated to his own play, not able to score etc. and then he didn't agree with assistant coach about something and in the heat of the moment said something bad back to him. This is something he needs to work on and it probably get's better whith age but he's a winner type.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well at least it is out there now and can be dealt with. By contrast we still don't know why PLDouche wanted out of Columbus. I suspect this is something that can be worked out between Laine and Torts and the Asst. coach. If allowed to fester, this could have been a long term problem. Good for Torts to get it out on the table adn address it. Now Laine knows what is expected.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Well at least it is out there now and can be dealt with. By contrast we still don't know why PLDouche wanted out of Columbus. I suspect this is something that can be worked out between Laine and Torts and the Asst. coach. If allowed to fester, this could have been a long term problem. Good for Torts to get it out on the table adn address it. Now Laine knows what is expected.
Yes and if Laine said something he is going to apologize, most likely has already done it. Now perfect damage control would be public explanation from Laine is it was something like that, otherwise there is too many speculations running out. He did that in Little case also.

Reactions: Halberdier

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So you say Laine should drink more an be abusive outside of the rink?
I'm sorry but where I wrote about drink? In fact I understand why you wrote it.

This "disrespect" thing is so how to say it... North-American thing? Everyone is full of himself and keeps mouthing and bragging like no tomorrow. But if someone says something back it is disrespecting etc. We finns tend to mind our own busines and keep to ourselves. We know when we screwed up and we surely dont want someone else to come and start mentioning it or "turning the knive in the wound". We also dont have the same kind of hierarchy and "fear of the lord" as north americans have. So we are willing to tell our bosses to piss of if we disagree them
First, I wrote " If it's right".
Russians have an excelent proverb (I hope I wrote it right): "with your own rules, you can't go to someone else's monastery". Patrik plays in NHL and not Finland. Or would you like if I would behave in Finland like in Slovakia?

A lot of people said Patrik behaves like a spoiled child that's way I wrote it. But IMHO they're youthfull bobbles what every made it. Plus, again IMHO, journalists, as we say in Slovakia, made from fly an elephant.

P.S. if I understant right you think I say bad about Finns. If it's right tell me why I should do it? I don't like if somebody insulted our (Slovaks) so I don't any reason insult other national, countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garbox

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'm sorry but where I wrote about drink? In fact I understand why you wrote it.

I guess nowhere, but as you happened to mention Patrick Kane + behaving, I guess that was just too easy for @Snaibberi to bring up. Patrick Kane and his off-ice behavior is hopefully not a role model for Patrik Laine to follow.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
This is going great :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

If true, Laine deserves the benching. You don't mouth off to your boss and if you are so emotional that you let your emotions cloud your judgement and direct your actions, you need meditation. This is not how men should act.

But let's see what actually happened. Journalism today is often cringeworthy when you find out what actually went on.

Reactions: Ippenator

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
This is going great :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

If true, Laine deserves the benching. You don't mouth off to your boss and if you are so emotional that you let your emotions cloud your judgement and direct your actions, you need meditation. This is not how men should act.

But let's see what actually happened. Journalism today is often cringeworthy when you find out what actually went on.
Depends, if your boss mouths to you first then it is OK to answer. Boss is not a god and yelling goes both ways, if you start it then you should be man enough to get some back.

Reactions: hn777

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Depends, if your boss mouths to you first then it is OK to answer. Boss is not a god and yelling goes both ways, if you start it then you should be man enough to get some back.

If your boss acts like a tool, the correct response is not to become a tool yourself. There is a hierarchy in this relationship that needs to be respected at all times. Professionalism is another word for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad