The Laine/Torts relationship

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just to get the timeline straight...

There was some interaction between an assistant coach (sorry, I don’t know them)and Laine and Laine “mouthed off” this coach.
Then this coach goes to Torts and tells him the new guy swore at him.
(Obviously this was the most important thing to do during a close game.)
Torts then benched Laine based on this information.
Neither Torts nor the assistant coach speak with Laine after the match and Torts wants to keep everything in-house.
The next day the players have a day off, hence still no communication with Laine.
There is a meeting with Koivu (retirement) but still no meeting with Laine.
A few hours later this story makes the news.
But still no one talks to Laine?

So all is based on the information the assistant coach passed on to Torts?

Imho there is no issue between Laine and Torts (except not talking the same evening and clear things up) but between the assistant coach and Laine.

Is this coach any good? Is he responsible for PP and forwards? Has there been issues with this coach in the past?

Thanks in advance.

There’s a lot of stuff in there that is not in evidence. So I would say no, you do not have the timeline right.

I implied the facts that happened ... doesnt matter if it was intentional or not. Agreement between front office and agent were to keep it (PLD TRADE REQUEST DETAILS) behind closed doors... Torts with his ego couldnt stand that it may be another player wanting out because of him.. which were the murmurs ... so in his on air interview in Columbus he torpedoed the agreement, and went as far as to publicy challenge PLD to tell his teammates why ? Now were suprised this leaked with Laine 1 day after he said it would stay behind closed doors this leaks out ?

lol ‘facts’. More stuff not in evidence.

So we like the drama, huh?

Reactions: Monk

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It sure sounds professional to scream at people under you and then snap and assert authority when they scream back at you.

Is it a cultural difference between America and Europe?

Is it more American to be a bit more beta around the boss in the US?
Wtf!?

Of course you do! You don't take shit just because someone is your boss. This just shows Tortorella is a insecure twat that wants to play the authority card.

He should realize the he, just as Laine is a commodity. Though a less valuable one.

I did not say that screaming in any circumstance is professional. It shows you have lost your cool and are not in control of yourself. That is extremely beta. Laine however can only control his own actions. He is the boss of no-one.

If you don't like your boss or the workplace, you leave. You don't start screaming back. If you do, the boss should punish you for it if you don't understand simple hierarchies in the workplace.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I did not say that screaming in any circumstance is professional. It shows you have lost your cool and are not in control of yourself. That is extremely beta. Laine however can only control his own actions. He is the boss of no-one.

If you don't like your boss or the workplace, you leave. You don't start screaming back. If you do, the boss should punish you for it if you don't understand simple hierarchies in the workplace.

Hierarchy != bullying.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Laine is immature (claimed to say eat a d*ck to a coach), and I think it's understandable considering he is a young player with extreme expectations following him.

I think disciplinary measures used by Torts are justified and Laine does have enough self criticism and mental capacity to take it. In the defensive sense CBJ have played incredible hockey under Torts and even if his methods seem bit fascist at this point in time they still seem to work.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Laine is immature (claimed to say eat a d*ck to a coach), and I think it's understandable considering he is a young player with extreme expectations following him.

I think disciplinary measures used by Torts are justified and Laine does have enough self criticism and mental capacity to take it. In the defensive sense CBJ have played incredible hockey under Torts and even if his methods seem bit fascist at this point in time they still seem to work.

damn.. how will the coach ever recover

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
6 and a half years ago. I wouldn't use "is", "was" might be more appropriate.

He certainly was immature when he was immature.

I do wonder why the coaches get away with cussing like a sailor while the players are always expected to be on their best behaviour. Paul Maurice dropped F-bombs every other second and Tortorella is pretty infamous too for his rallying speeches.

Anyway, it seems like they put a rest to this whole thing and are moving on. Maybe the fans should too.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
6 and a half years ago. I wouldn't use "is", "was" might be more appropriate.
He was claimed to said it to some coach in CBJ, so if it's true it's quite current.

And don't get me wrong. As long as Torts doesn't drop him from PP all this should be beneficial for the team spirit and unity. I do like Laine's shot. I think 15,5% career shoot percentage is not just incredible, but nr.1 in the league considering a considerable amount of his goals are from a distance. Compare to Ovie's 12,7%, Laine doesn't just shoot, he waits until the opportunity is right. There is a huge difference in shooting percentage.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
yeah the thing is everyone is blaminh Torts or Laine, but we don't have any ingormation except the result.

Did he offer interesting insights on some of the PP flaws in a respectful manner and it rubbed the coaches the wrong way? Or did he come in claiming his way is the best and that they don't know what they're talking about?

Or is it even PP related, perhaps something completely unrelated happened.

Also, that Columbus GM must have a ton of faith in Torts, seems like he's getting the "difficult" but talented players from other teams this season (Domi, Laine). Seems like a dangerous path to take but props on the guy for always trying to improve the team, I appreciate that with him

Probably not PP related at all. The Jackets were mostly playing at 5v5 and that's where Laine was having a rough game. You can guess that Larsen, the forwards' coach, tried to teach him in the second period and that it didn't go well.

The whole idea that it was PP related is probably just people using this as an opportunity to meme their frustrations with Larsen.

Reactions: abo9 and Halberdier

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Well I'm glad that they are putting this behind them, enough with the drama and back to playing hockey. Hopefully Laine comes out and has a great game so we stop talking about something the locker room has already moved on from.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Probably not PP related at all. The Jackets were mostly playing at 5v5 and that's where Laine was having a rough game. You can guess that Larsen, the forwards' coach, tried to teach him in the second period and that it didn't go well.

The whole idea that it was PP related is probably just people using this as an opportunity to meme their frustrations with Larsen.

Edit: Friedman has multiple sources saying it was 5v5.

We can put the Larsen PP nonsense in a separate discussion.

Reactions: Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Patrik really said something "beautiful" to Brad Larsen so, although it's understandable Torts benched him because he can't risk the problem in the locker room, Patrik was right. Maybe it's a time to think about Larsen's change. Because it's a fact players can't tolerate him everymore.

Btw, I understand Cam and Jack. Even if they would know about it they couldn't say it. And Patrik didn't play ideal in this game, especially his "great" defensive was excelent.

I don't think Patrik was humbled. Every knows Torts, it's normal for him. I heard he even benched the first line and the first defense pair. And his words about Larsen, if it's true od course, are truthful.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Yup. I find it very hard to think that all in the sudden Laine started bashing their PP system to Larsen.

I guess Laine was pissed of about the game and the goal against as he is really hard on himself and then Larsen came by and said something that angry Laine considered smart ass and he answered stupid way.

But as they said, it's now a lesson learnt. At least for Laine, maybe also for the assistant coach depending if he said something stupid as well.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yup. I find it very hard to think that all in the sudden Laine started bashing their PP system to Larsen.

I guess Laine was pissed of about the game and the goal against as he is really hard on himself and then Larsen came by and said something that angry Laine considered smart ass and he answered stupid way.

But as they said, it's now a lesson learnt. At least for Laine, maybe also for the assistant coach depending if he said something stupid as well.

Larsen (assuming it was him) is not the type to say smart ass stuff. He's very well spoken.

I'm not saying he's a good PP coach either, I have no idea. But we've never had players pin anything on him or blow up on him on the bench.

And I'm sure Laine's pressure on himself is a part of why he blew up. It might feel like a pile-on if he's already kicking his own ass. Either way he's going to have to learn to accept voices outside of his own head. He doesn't know everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad