The Laine/Torts relationship

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oh. So he’s already causing trouble here. Lovely
To be fair we don't know what was said. I don't recall seeing PLD get benched and we have video of Torts screaming at him on the bench. This isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time there is conflict between players and staff.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I said it twice, and I’ll say it thrice:

I’d rather be bad and principled than good and entitled/lazy.

Laine talked a good game before arriving in Columbus. People don’t change overnight. Time will tell if he’ll take his medicine. This is the first dose. If it doesn’t work long term, he’ll be the guy whose selfish play got jettisoned from two teams by age 23. And I’ll still stand behind Torts. The preponderance of evidence shows he backs his players, doesn’t play favorites, and adheres to fundamental coaching principles. If all the “good” players in the modern NHL don’t want to be part of it, then I’m fine being bad, because how you win is just as important as winning. Unless you’re really just into lining the pockets of billionaires with your fandom. The spirit of the game matters.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To be fair we don't know what was said. I don't recall seeing PLD get benched and we have video of Torts screaming at him on the bench. This isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time there is conflict between players and staff.

Which leads me to believe it wasn’t just an average pissing contest between a player and coach. Laine has a history of mouthing off to coaching. He probably told the coach to go F himself or called him bad names. Or something

I assume he said shit to Brad Larsen, because he runs the PP and forwards, and I don’t see any reason why he would communicate with Brad Shaw.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Which leads me to believe it wasn’t just an average pissing contest between a player and coach. Laine has a history of mouthing off to coaching. He probably told the coach to go F himself or called him bad names. Or something

I assume he said shit to Brad Larsen, because he runs the PP and forwards, and I don’t see any reason why he would communicate with Brad Shaw.
I'm sure you're right it was Larsen and I think we as fans in general think he is not a very good assistant coach. Maybe Laine agrees. Of course you shouldn't say it to his face but maybe Laine is actually correct in whatever was said to him.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I said it twice, and I’ll say it thrice:

I’d rather be bad and principled than good and entitled/lazy.

Laine talked a good game before arriving in Columbus. People don’t change overnight. Time will tell if he’ll take his medicine. This is the first dose. If it doesn’t work long term, he’ll be the guy whose selfish play got jettisoned from two teams by age 23. And I’ll still stand behind Torts. The preponderance of evidence shows he backs his players, doesn’t play favorites, and adheres to fundamental coaching principles. If all the “good” players in the modern NHL don’t want to be part of it, then I’m fine being bad, because how you win is just as important as winning. Unless you’re really just into lining the pockets of billionaires with your fandom. The spirit of the game matters.

That's one side of the argument, the other is that you also have to be able co-operate with your star players. Normally I would blame the player, but history has repeated itself too many times now for this to be incidental or be solely due to selfish players. And yeah sure, they can decide to run a team without star players, but that doesn't bode well for any Stanley Cup hopes. Jarmo will soon have to decide what is more important, Tortorella's ego and 90's coaching style, which is enough to take the team into the first round of the playoffs, or building towards something different.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
So he mouthed off to an assistant off the ice, yet played the first period, and half the second ? Smokescreen

The "off-ice" meant probably = said something to an assistant on the bench, after telling him something like "forecheck harder"

Was the "mouthing" something like "Yeah I know what I'm doing thanks" or something actually bad like "F O you POS"

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

"has a history of mouthing off to coaching"

= as a 15-year-old had an incident, but didn't even change teams, even though the same city has more than 3 competing teams, and almost all of his teammates from that team ended up playing for at least 2 of those.

Imagine, his "mouthing off" was so bad he ended up being one of the few guys on his team to NOT change teams at any point in his junior career

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's one side of the argument, the other is that you also have to be able co-operate with your star players. Normally I would blame the player, but history has repeated itself too many times now for this to be incidental or be solely due to selfish players. And yeah sure, they can decide to run a team without star players, but that doesn't bode well for any Stanley Cup hopes. Jarmo will soon have to decide what is more important, Tortorella's ego and 90's coaching style, which is enough to take the team into the first round of the playoffs, or building towards something different.

I don’t think Torts will be here after this year. Likely his assistants won’t either.

But if Laine can’t cooperate with coaching, this is a known issue in his past, he shouldn’t be here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
"has a history of mouthing off to coaching"

= as a 15-year-old had an incident, but didn't even change teams, even though the same city has more than 3 competing teams, and almost all of his teammates from that team ended up playing for at least 2 of those.

Imagine, his "mouthing off" was so bad he ended up being one of the few guys on his team to NOT change teams at any point in his junior career

He didn’t take too kindly some of the coaching from Maurice either. I’m not saying it was as bad as his 15 year old blowup, but it’s worth mentioning.

Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth. But it’s clear that Torts and his staff won’t

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
He didn’t take too kindly some of the coaching from Maurice either. I’m not saying it was as bad as his 15 year old blowup, but it’s worth mentioning.

Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth. But it’s clear that Torts and his staff won’t

Tortorella clearly tolerated Dubois straight up shouting at him on the bench in front of cameras

"Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth"

What mouth? I haven't heard a single incident about this.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Tortorella clearly tolerated Dubois straight up shouting at him on the bench in front of cameras

"Maybe Maurice and his staff tolerated Laine’s mouth"

What mouth? I haven't heard a single incident about this.

PLDouche apparently never crossed a line. Laine apparently did. I don’t know what went on in either instance, but the coaching staff has zero reason to target Laine, and in fact they have every reason to bend over backwards to please him. Maybe that’s what he expected, but that’s not what he’s going to get.

Im not even on Torts side in this. But you can’t disrespect coaching like that. What PLDouche did is okay to me, and I would have no problem if that’s what Laine did, but it was apparently worse.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Give me a break. This is fake frickin news here. Larsen may have said this is how I want this done and Patty said that isn't working. Then Patty scored on the PP so with that maybe it is time to try something new. Dropping the puck back isn't fooling anyone when you do it every f***ing play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->