The Laine/Torts relationship

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
I did not say that screaming in any circumstance is professional. It shows you have lost your cool and are not in control of yourself. That is extremely beta. Laine however can only control his own actions. He is the boss of no-one.

If you don't like your boss or the workplace, you leave. You don't start screaming back. If you do, the boss should punish you for it if you don't understand simple hierarchies in the workplace.

I thought I made that clear. I'm guessing we are at least two generations apart.

Do you actually believe that an employee should just swallow his pride or leave the workplace instead of standing up for himself?

If you treat people like that you sure as hell can expect them to talk shit behind your back and won't have any loyalty towards you.

Reactions: Garbox

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I see this as a good thing for their relationship. They have now broken the ice, it was a minor incident and coaches saw how Laine will act when he isn't satisfied to his own play. Laine was really hard on himself in Winnipeg when things didn't work and could say something not so appropriate (Maurice told about that) but it wasn't never disrespecting coaching staff, just letting it out on the bench (mostly shouting to himself). Now Laine and coaching staff know what could happen in similar situations if they don't handle them differently. I'm positive they can fix it. They should work together and figure out how they can get Laine's focus on right things when he gets frustrated. It's mostly on Laine but coaches should be aware how to handle the situation as well.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Didn’t one of the Finns say there was a story of Laine threatening to kill a coach in his junior career ?
This story just keeps on getting better! With a little more time it will go like this “Didn’t Laine threaten to beat up the entire team in his junior career, and kick the coache’s pUpPy? He HaS a HiStOrY oF KiCkInG pUpPiEs!!1!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This story just keeps on getting better! With a little more time it will go like this “Didn’t Laine threaten to beat up the entire team in his junior career, and kick the coache’s pUpPy? He HaS a HiStOrY oF KiCkInG pUpPiEs!!1!
Are you saying the story ain’t true or you’re just acting up ?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Didn’t one of the Finns say there was a story of Laine threatening to kill a coach in his junior career ?
Misinterpreted. Laine said "I would like to punch him". In finnish "would like" sentences are more strictly connected to "but I won't".

I would say Forsberg's comment on a referee early in his career was as bad or worse "He should get a punch".

Hockey is a game that makes players feel feelings. Sometimes they let them out. It is not always great, but this is not soccer.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
For me it comes off (as an outsider) like Laine was upset with himself for it and didn't want to hear it (which I understand as I am my own biggest critic). Hes a competitor and I think things will look up from here.

Obviously he needs to be able to have those conversations but I think in the heat of the moment he knew exactly what they were going to say and was likely frustrated with himself.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
For me it comes off (as an outsider) like Laine was upset with himself for it and didn't want to hear it (which I understand as I am my own biggest critic). Hes a competitor and I think things will look up from here.

Obviously he needs to be able to have those conversations but I think in the heat of the moment he knew exactly what they were going to say and was likely frustrated with himself.

As a competitor I understand this more than most. I beat myself up when I know I should be better and in the heat of the moment it can get intense. Like Byrral wrote I’m ready to get over it but both parties could have done a better job.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Glad everyone is by it and everyone is saying the right things. Hopefully it’s not just words but actions as well. We will see.

Reactions: Lurch

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Pretty sure owning the Jackets is a net loss for McConnell.
yeah.. sure a net loss right up until he sells the team for x times what they paid for it. Sports teams are a rare commodity, and the profit is generally made at the sale. Cry me a river, where is Mark Cuban when you need him. Or Balmer or Haslem maybe. Somebody out there would love to have the only NHL team in Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana. Someone would buy this team and market the crap out of the players. We have world class athletes from Finland, Denmark, Russia, Canada and the US and they can walk the streets unnoticed. Foligno and Cam are the only ones that get recognized in public.. oh & Jody Shelly who was best known for his fighting ability.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Said this in the mains- I’m quite impressed with how Laine handled himself post-benching.

though Torts downplaying his crappy play seemed odd to me. Perhaps he just didn’t want to muddy the waters about what the benching was truly about.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland

Remember when Cam said this Monday night and then it came out (if we're believing Hedger and everyone else) that he got benched for disrespect? Kind of an odd statement from Cam to call out Laine's effort.

Could be that Cam didn't know why Laine was benched and assumed it was performance related like it usually is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad