The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - A step back towards the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Pretty crazy huh.

Compare that to the amount of star defenseman that drop out of the top 10

Subban, karlsson, Keith, weber, Chara, Buff, giordano

The only top 10 pick defenseman that is a star that I can think of is doughty. I don't consider sutter or pietrangello stars so I guess just him.

Suter is as much a star as the other guys you listed above. So is pietrangelo.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Nylander............... :popcorn:

Wasn't it reported that Gillis had Horvat ranked 3rd or something on his draft list?

Horvat really blew me away last year. I thought the question mark on his game was skating, but he was going end to end in the playoffs, blowing by defenders.

Should correct myself. No disrespect to Virtanen (not Horvat).

A Monahan/Horvat 1-2 punch would be deadly.

DapperZ

Apr 12, 2015
Victoria, BC
How do you not have Henrik Sedin on that list on a Canucks forum of all places? :laugh:

Eric Staal would probably also qualify for that list, as would Thornton and Seguin and MacKinnon...

I agree. Henrik deserves to be on this list. I think we are going into the next season with a competent if not outstanding roster. I think the only way we achieve a truly high draft pick next year would be because of injury during the course of the season. Only time will tell.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Suter is as much a star as the other guys you listed above. So is pietrangelo.

Sutter and pietrangello aren't Stars at all.

I think suter is also highly overrated.

Pietrangello is very good. But he isn't at a star level. He's like 1 level below. Like the same tier as Hedman. Like barely cracking top 10 lists or at the bottom of top 10 lists.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Pietrangello is very good. But he isn't at a star level. He's like 1 level below. Like the same tier as Hedman. Like barely cracking top 10 lists or at the bottom of top 10 lists.

I wasn't planning on stepping in because I don't believe these lists are not nearly as strongly defined as many other think, but I have Hedman as easily a top 10 defenseman and likely a top 5 defenseman. Clearly better than Byfuglien and Chara. Hell I'd take Suter and Pie over them as well.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
People are criminally underrating Pietrangelo on here right now. Go look at the St.Louis board if you want to know how good he is/important to there team.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The way I see it is that the best 3 defenseman right now IMO are Subban, Keith, Karlsson

None of them are top 10 picks.

Sure you might get a doughty once in a while but there are also the jack Johnson and the Erik johnsons of the NHL.

The whole point was that you don't need high draft picks to pick star defenseman.

This is why I suggested if we get the a top pick I prefer to take a center over a defenseman unless the defenseman is godly or whatever.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I love Virtanen but I still dont know if Benning should have taken him over Ehlers or Nylander. .

I wanted Ehlers. Did not want Ritchie.

There was a post on ... ? Bleacher report about Ehler's advanced stats and where they sat in context with currently NHLers.

It was illuminating to say the least.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I wanted Ehlers. Did not want Ritchie.

There was a post on ... ? Bleacher report about Ehler's advanced stats and where they sat in context with currently NHLers.

It was illuminating to say the least.

Yeah Ehlers for me too, though I think I would've been fine with Nylander or Ritchie. The only guy I didn't want was Virtanen and they picked him. :laugh:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Ritchie is going to be awesome. I am really impressed with him, the Ducks lucked into another great player as Ritchie is going to be a freaking animal and a premiere power forward when he hits his stride.

Personally I wanted Nylander but I'm okay with Virtanen.

arsmaster*

You listed byfuglien as a star. Ditto Giordano. Ditto Weber.

Suter is at or above all of these guys.

This is semantics now.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I liked Ehlers for my junior team but I am still happy we selected Virty for the NHL. I think Virtanen is a lot better bet as a big impact player in the NHL.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How do you not have Henrik Sedin on that list on a Canucks forum of all places? :laugh:

Eric Staal would probably also qualify for that list, as would Thornton and Seguin and MacKinnon...

well it was a top ten list, but i wouldn't argue if someone put him at #10...

arsmaster*

well it was a top ten list, but i wouldn't argue if someone put him at #10...

Considering he was 7th for C's in scoring last year and is one of the only guys you listed to win the Hart and Art Ross, I'd say it was a pretty big omission.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Considering he was 7th for C's in scoring last year and is one of the only guys you listed to win the Hart and Art Ross, I'd say it was a pretty big omission.

i love henrik as much as the next guy, but 35 year old 2015 henrik goes where on this list?

crosby
malkin
getzlaf (19)
tavares
toews
stamkos
giroux (22)
kopitar (11-- sobbbbb)
backstrom

the end, right? well, i could see him sneaking in ahead of backstrom i guess.

also (re: the original response to me), seguin isn't really a center. or at least he isn't good enough at playing center that he belongs on a list of the top ten centers in the league, no matter how many points he scores from his center/wing tweener spot on dallas' first line.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
The way I see it is that the best 3 defenseman right now IMO are Subban, Keith, Karlsson

None of them are top 10 picks.

Sure you might get a doughty once in a while but there are also the jack Johnson and the Erik johnsons of the NHL.

The whole point was that you don't need high draft picks to pick star defenseman.

This is why I suggested if we get the a top pick I prefer to take a center over a defenseman unless the defenseman is godly or whatever.

IMO Doughty is #1, followed by Karlsson, Keith, Subban. Point still holds though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I wouldn't take Henrik over any of those C's, or over Seguin or MacKinnon.

IMO he's on par with someone like Joe Thornton right now.

arsmaster*

I wouldn't take Henrik over any of those C's, or over Seguin or MacKinnon.

IMO he's on par with someone like Joe Thornton right now.

Sorry, but your opinion on anything Sedin is always to be taken with massive grains of salt.

Sure you wouldn't start a team with a 35 year old, but he's as effective and possibly moreso than a lot of guys on that top 10 list.

------

To continue the Pietrangelo isn't a star debate but Doughty is:

2014-2015 stats for Pietro: 81gp 7g 39a 46p for Doughty: 82gp 7g 39a

The season before - Pietro: 81gp 8g 43a 51p for Doughty: 78gp 10g 27a 37p

Lockout year - Pietro: 47gp 5g 19a 24p for Doughty: 48gp 6g 16a 22p

2011-2012 - Pietro: 81gp 12g 39a 51p for Doughty: 77gp 10g 26a 36p

They're both stars.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I agree. Henrik deserves to be on this list. I think we are going into the next season with a competent if not outstanding roster. I think the only way we achieve a truly high draft pick next year would be because of injury during the course of the season. Only time will tell.

If they're seeded 8th-10th worst in the league, the team will at least have three lottery shots at getting into the Top 3. I haven't looked at the odds, but I bet they'd have around a 15% chance of that happening. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad