The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - A step back towards the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
They've had one for years. Murray has only recently been given the green light to spend beyond it for big ticket acquisitions, ala Kesler.

Perhaps but I don't think it was a huge factor in whether or not they signed Perrault. Perraults a guy a lot of teams had a chance on but missed, good on the Jets for seeing something a lot of teams missed (or they got lucky)

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Perhaps but I don't think it was a huge factor in whether or not they signed Perrault. Perraults a guy a lot of teams had a chance on but missed, good on the Jets for seeing something a lot of teams missed (or they got lucky)

If only a bunch of number crunchers you routinely ignore had been able to predict that! Then maybe you'd change your opinion instead of making a bunch other excus -- oh! Haha. Nevermind.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If only a bunch of number crunchers you routinely ignore had been able to predict that! Then maybe you'd change your opinion instead of making a bunch other excus -- oh! Haha. Nevermind.

Never mind indeed. :laugh:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Discussion:
Lets say the team finishes near the bottom of the league, and lands a top-5 pick in the 2016 draft (Lets say they managed to draft Chychrun so our pool has a top-end dman)

At the trade deadline, the team moves both Hamhuis and Vrbata, and gets a decent package of picks/prospects for the two. For the sake of argument lets say they both land mid-late 1sts and a B-prospect.

If we added those pieces to our existing prospect pool:
Would you consider that a good enough pool of prospects to say we are "finished" the rebuilding stage?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Yes if we can make shrewd trades like Calgary

Only way to keep up with the rising teams like Edmonton and Colorado

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Discussion:
Lets say the team finishes near the bottom of the league, and lands a top-5 pick in the 2016 draft (Lets say they managed to draft Chychrun so our pool has a top-end dman)

At the trade deadline, the team moves both Hamhuis and Vrbata, and gets a decent package of picks/prospects for the two. For the sake of argument lets say they both land mid-late 1sts and a B-prospect.

Would you consider that a good enough pool of prospects to say we are "finished" the rebuilding stage?
Nope. I would want a #1 centre and another good defenseman.

I would be confident that the base of the rebuild is there though, there should be enough complimentary assets to fill out the bottom lines and the a good chunk of the top 6, but D could use more than just Chychurn.

You can always trade the extra picks and assets for the exact piece you need. Good news it it would be hard to turn around a 3rd overall drafting team anyway.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Discussion:

Depends who we draft with the other 2 first rounders.

Honestly, I'd go for Matthews or bust.

You need a super star center nowadays in the league not a super star defenseman. Look at ottowa, Nashville, Minnesota, montreal. All have super star defenseman and meh centers.

Then look at Chicago, penguins, lightning, ducks ect..

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its a lot easier to predict forwards than defencemen, i feel. id much rather draft a centre than a D with a top 3 pick

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
i think thats coincidence. both defencemen and forwards are important

It might be.

But I don't think that to get a super star defenseman it has to be a top 5 pick. Many of the top defenseman aren't even picked top 10.

Whereas it's rare to get a super star center outside of the top 10 imo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not harping on Horvat, but man it would have been nice to have the 6th overall pick in 2013 instead of 2014

Wasn't it reported that Gillis had Horvat ranked 3rd or something on his draft list?

Horvat really blew me away last year. I thought the question mark on his game was skating, but he was going end to end in the playoffs, blowing by defenders.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It might be.

But I don't think that to get a super star defenseman it has to be a top 5 pick. Many of the top defenseman aren't even picked top 10.

Whereas it's rare to get a super star center outside of the top 10 imo

best centers in the league:

crosby
malkin
getzlaf (19)
tavares
toews
stamkos
giroux (22)
kopitar (11-- sobbbbb)
backstrom

[give or take a few guys...]

datsyuk (171)
zetterberg (210)

wow, in my head i was like "that's not true," but more than half of the best centers in the game were top three picks. that's pretty eye-opening.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

crosby
malkin
getzlaf (19)
tavares
toews
stamkos
giroux (22)
kopitar (11-- sobbbbb)
backstrom

datsyuk (171)
zetterberg (210)

wow, in my head i was like "that's not true," but more than half of the best centers in the game were top three picks. that's pretty eye-opening.

How do you not have Henrik Sedin on that list on a Canucks forum of all places? :laugh:

Eric Staal would probably also qualify for that list, as would Thornton and Seguin and MacKinnon...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015

crosby
malkin
getzlaf (19)
tavares
toews
stamkos
giroux (22)
kopitar (11-- sobbbbb)
backstrom

datsyuk (171)
zetterberg (210)

Pretty crazy huh.

Compare that to the amount of star defenseman that drop out of the top 10

Subban, karlsson, Keith, weber, Chara, Buff, giordano

The only top 10 pick defenseman that is a star that I can think of is doughty. I don't consider sutter or pietrangello stars so I guess just him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
In retrospect it sure would've been nice to take Shea Theodore over shinkaruk. Or even better get him back for kesler and have both....
Ho hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad