The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - A step back towards the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I heard Benning say on siriusxm today that they traded for Prust because of his courage.

Is that a quantifiable trait for hockey?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I heard Benning say on siriusxm today that they traded for Prust because of his courage.

Its a new advanced stat for Benning, along with meat, and potatoes.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
"we'll miss his speed. *looks away* in the regular season we'll miss his speed." stupid smirk on his face. I'd hate to see this smug jackass even get a chance to give up on a developing canuck after a poor playoff.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Well, at least this new thread isn't starting with the same tired, old cliches again.

This is thread is intended to be a free-for-all of sorts. People are going to want to air out their frustrations, even to redundancy. I'll admit to having done so myself at times. If you want discussion more catered towards the roster, the Armchair thred fairs it.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

At first I thought it was the Scarecrow running things, but apparently it's the Cowardly Lion. :help:

member 202355

What an absolutely awful summer of moves, franchise crippling moves made left, right and center.

No shortage of courage though. I will sleep well tonight knowing this.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
What an absolutely awful summer of moves, franchise crippling moves made left, right and center.

aside from signing vrbata, last offseason was a disaster and i wondered how the entirety of the transactions could get any worse...well they did

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
aside from signing vrbata, last offseason was a disaster and i wondered how the entirety of the transactions could get any worse...well they did

yeah, especially in hindsight. it's really a cause and effect thing, last years summer of moves had a large effect on this years bad moves. (miller contacts leads to giving lack away for peanuts)

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

It's funny because I've never seen players on opposing teams lose their 'courage' as fast as they do with Kassian around. Tough guys all of a sudden standing behind the referees.

Seriously Kassian doesn't even strike me as an impressive fighter, but he is more than willing. The reason he doesn't have many fights is because either the other team avoids the fight, or the referee gives him a 10 minute misconduct for nothing.

I hope we get a good fight between Kassian and either Prust or Dorsett this year. That being said, Dorsett and Prust both seem like good guys and I don't want them to get hurt or have their careers finished by Kassian like Ben Eager. Just a good fight where Kassian clearly wins at Rogers Arena.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's funny because I've never seen players on opposing teams lose their 'courage' as fast as they do with Kassian around. Tough guys all of a sudden standing behind the referees.

Seriously Kassian doesn't even strike me as an impressive fighter, but he is more than willing. The reason he doesn't have many fights is because either the other team avoids the fight, or the referee gives him a 10 minute misconduct for nothing.

I hope we get a good fight between Kassian and either Prust or Dorsett this year. That being said, Dorsett and Prust both seem like good guys and I don't want them to get hurt or have their careers finished by Kassian like Ben Eager. Just a good fight where Kassian clearly wins at Rogers Arena.

That's definitely another aspect of Kassian the team never took advantage of. He brought real intimidation out there. I've seen people point out that Dorsett fought a lot more, but they usually ignore that he fights so much because anyone and his dog is willing to scrap with him.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
That's definitely another aspect of Kassian the team never took advantage of. He brought real intimidation out there. I've seen people point out that Dorsett fought a lot more, but they usually ignore that he fights so much because anyone and his dog is willing to scrap with him.

Are you suggesting the teams coaching staff and management was holding kassian back from playing physically? Kassian didn't fight- and it wasn't because people were too intimidated lol that's not how things work. Fighters jobs are on the line, intimidation does not factor in a lot here.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Yes, what about that Vrbata signing? How did he do?

How did the Sedins play under a rookie coach?

How quickly did Miller lose his job?

There were plenty of positives before Calgary came along in the playoffs. The team brass was very disappointed with some guys' post-seasons. Those guys are almost all gone. The current group, on paper, looks better suited to Desjardins system. Faster up the middle and lots of feisty hitters. All good.

Instead, posters are stuck on the return the team got for the kid who was gassed every shift until they sat him. I'm still kind of stuck on that, too, but breaking eggs is part of the omelette business. It's admirable that he found soft landings for popular discarded players.

It's encouraging to think that Benning was swinging for the fences in the Lucic derby. It's a message to everybody that Benning thinks more Sutter style hockey is indicated. The Canucks will have a thumper or two on the ice on every shift. Think of it! Even the Sedin line will be accompanied by a defense pairing that hits people!:amazed:

If one rookie sticks, this team will be a lot of fun to watch. Even if no prospects make the jump, this is an exciting roster. You watch!

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
It's encouraging to think that Benning was swinging for the fences in the Lucic derby. It's a message to everybody that Benning thinks more Sutter style hockey is indicated. The Canucks will have a thumper or two on the ice on every shift. Think of it! Even the Sedin line will be accompanied by a defense pairing that hits people!:amazed:

hmm...not sure if this is good satire or not because if it's authentic endorsement of the benning 'plan' then i wholly disagree with everything written above

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wait

Who are our "thumpers"

Dorsett
Prust
Virtanen?
Sbisa? (not tough but throws the odd hit)

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Yeah, nobody in the league is scared of Dorsett. I like the guy as a 4th liner, although he's overused and overpaid now, but he's fine. He certainly isn't a deterrent though. Do you think Shea Weber wont repeatedly crosscheck Henrik in the back now because Dorsett is watching? Please.

Fighting is the most overrated thing in hockey. It's sure fun to watch, but it doesn't mean that much IMO. With the instigator rule, Sbisa could elbow someone in the head and he could just refuse to fight if he really wanted to. Or take a few punches and that's that. Did fighting ever stop Cooke from playing like Cooke? No, and he even answered the bell unlike some other players like him.

Kassian on the other hand is another story. Maybe other players think he could snap at any second, but I very rarely see players avoid fights and scrums like they do with Kassian, until the referees get in. Kassian still isn't a deterrent for anything, everyone knows that the referees will get involved if you just refuse to fight, but still. I think Kassian does more for this team in a playoff series or in scrums in the regular season or whenever than Derek Dorsett. Aside from the locker room, Kassian is a better player than Derek Dorsett in every aspect. Skill, toughness, offensive play, defensive play. Derek Dorsett could be a better fighter, but is much smaller than Kassian and size is important in fighting. Dorsett also probably hits more, but they aren't usually big hits. Also, Dorsett may be better in the locker room, but I think that's largely due to his age and experience more than who he is.

I'm probably going to try to follow Montreal this year, just because I think Kassian has the potential to be one of the most exciting players in the league if he puts it together. Even if he doesn't, he's still an exciting 2nd line player to watch. I just know that I'll get so ****ing bitter watching him put up 45+ points this season in a Habs uniform while Prust sucks in ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad