The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - A step back towards the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Really? Who were these players last season?

Cody Franson is a better dman than Bieksa. The only reason Benning stole the 2nd from Bob Murray is because he convinced him Bieksa's intangibles made him worth it.

Terrible trade by Murray with Franson sitting there waiting to be signed.

this is the jim benning thread though

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Bieksa is not that bad. He played with Sbisa for most of the year. Put him along side a reliable d man and he shoud be fine.

I expect him to be a very serviceable bottom pair dman for the next few years.
Well worth it for his leadership abilities.

He's not as bad as he was paired with pizza

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I know that in your mind these posts are just too damn clever but I don't think you're making a point with them. angry posting is for angry people like me. you should stick to uhh, whatever it is you do

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Murray has plenty of offensive D he didnt need Franson

More projecting

Cody Franson is better defensively than Bieksa.

You don't think it's poor asset management to move a high pick for an older, inferior player when you could just sign the better, younger player for less and hold onto your high pick?

Still don't know how Murray was convinced this was a smart move, but I'm sure glad he made it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Really? Who were these players last season?

Cody Franson is a better dman than Bieksa. The only reason Benning stole the 2nd from Bob Murray is because he convinced him Bieksa's intangibles made him worth it.

Terrible trade by Murray with Franson sitting there waiting to be signed.

Here you go:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675589
http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/deadline/2015/experience

Coburn to Tampa to play 13-15min a game and Franson to Nashville were the first to pop in mind

np

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If Franson is better defensively than Bieksa as you say

then Bieksa wouldn't even make an AHL roster

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he's right though. franson is better than bieksa in every way other than toughness and character

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Cody Franson is better defensively than Bieksa.

You don't think it's poor asset management to move a high pick for an older, inferior player when you could just sign the better, younger player for less and hold onto your high pick?

Still don't know how Murray was convinced this was a smart move, but I'm sure glad he made it.

I think its poor asset management to trade away good D and replace them with garbage ones that then get extensions

You can keep claiming it as highway robbery if you want as you desperately need something to support your "Bennings not so bad" campaign

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah except he was our best offensive defenseman when it came to producing shots.

Put him with a guy who can play defense then I'd imagine he would do quiet well.

he'd look BETTER but he still wouldn't be good. franson is a good player

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
he'd look BETTER but he still wouldn't be good. franson is a good player

Yeah Frason is better but I don't think that Anaheim was willing to risk trying to sign a player like Franson who potentially would want term and cash.

Who knows.

I don't think that we robbed Anaheim at all. Like another user was saying. More like a good deal rather than a highway robbery.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yeah Frason is better but I don't think that Anaheim was willing to risk trying to sign a player like Franson who potentially would want term and cash.

Who knows.

I don't think that we robbed Anaheim at all. Like another user was saying. More like a good deal rather than a highway robbery.

Exactly. Well to be fair, compared to his other horrendous trades, the Bieksa trade does look like highway robbery.

arsmaster*

Just relax dudes. Fully expect Bieksa to have more points than anyone on our blue line next year.

The #5 saddle is off.

Some posters like to blame Bieksa for sbisa. The same poster likes to claim sbisa As a tough defender who does stuff. Claims his more expensive replacement was worse. Weird thing. Sbisa was brutalized by the guy him benning attributes to beating us in the playoffs. Sbisa's replacement neutered him game one the best series.

I'm totally content to watch KB rebound in Anaheim.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Bieksa has been a leader and a "playoff warrior". Those qualities have value, especially to playoff teams. I imagine Franson falls short in those categories, by comparison.

It's kind of strange that such a well managed team like the Ducks would value things like 'playoff warrior' and 'leadership'. There is no proof those things actually improve a hockey team.

Looks like Murray got duped into moving a high pick for a poor player in his mid-thirties - then extending him into his late 30's.

Never mind walking away from the superior Francois Beauchemin in the process.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I don't disagree there. Seemed like Murray was stubborn with term. If Bieksa doesn't live up to replacing Beauchemin and the latter succeeds in Colorado then you'll have upset Ducks fans

but this has nothing to do with Franson

Anaheim wouldn't sign him in a million years, after coming up short twice in 3 years

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
he also signed clayton stoner because he is a bad GM, yes this is correct

Yeah, excellent drafting sure goes a long ways. They pluck great talent out of the draft, then Murray fumbles around in the front office with odd personnel moves, yet the team finds itself in elite company as cup favourites.

And James Wisniewski hasn't even been brought up yet. Drafting aside, what a terrible handling of that backend. It's a good thing they keep pumping out the likes of Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler etc.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Just relax dudes. Fully expect Bieksa to have more points than anyone on our blue line next year.

The #5 saddle is off.

Some posters like to blame Bieksa for sbisa. The same poster likes to claim sbisa As a tough defender who does stuff. Claims his more expensive replacement was worse. Weird thing. Sbisa was brutalized by the guy him benning attributes to beating us in the playoffs. Sbisa's replacement neutered him game one the best series.

I'm totally content to watch KB rebound in Anaheim.

Same. I feel Bieksa still has plenty left to offer. It will certainly be interesting to see which of him or Sbisa were the anchor. Much as I like Bieksa, for our sake, I hope it's him. I don't think so though.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Same. I feel Bieksa still has plenty left to offer. It will certainly be interesting to see which of him or Sbisa were the anchor. Much as I like Bieksa, for our sake, I hope it's him. I don't think so though.

I'd bet money bieksa does just fine in Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad