News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
But regardless of what I think on Rasmussen, it sounds like Detroit is keeping him up. That was the latest news, right?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He was always going to be a big bodied winger. His skill set never was one of a top 6 center. The sooner everyone comes to term with him being a top 9 winger that plays net front and scores a lot of dirty area goals, the sooner people will be happy with him.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone here think Rasmussen has been unlucky and should have more points?

Not sure if you are familiar with the advanced stat “PDO”, but it is supposed to quantify just that.

Here’s a blurb about it:

PDO called SPSV% by the NHL, is the sum of a team's shooting percentage and its save percentage. PDO is usually measured at even strength, and based on the theory that most teams will ultimately regress toward a sum of 100, is often viewed as a proxy for how lucky a team is.

Rasmussen’s PDO is currently 101.67 at ES

A number over 100 is due for regression, and a number under 100 is typically due for an uptick. So he’s pretty close to the “baseline” right now, per that stat.

I’m thinking having Glendening-Abdelkader as his 2nd most common line mates is skewing that a bit, since they have a combined 1 goal on 15 shots.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He was always going to be a big bodied winger. His skill set never was one of a top 6 winger. The sooner everyone comes to term with him being a top 9 winger that plays net front and scores a lot of dirty area goals, the sooner people will be happy with him.

Completely disagree with this. I think he winds up out on the wing, but that is in a top line role in a few years and more because of other pieces we have and/or are likely to draft. I think we are getting a center in this draft at this point.

In any event he is 19 years old, this is far from what he is going to be. Not all is lost, I actually see encouraging things in terms of him learning to use his massive frame more effectively each time out. This is going to be an important learning year. I would like to see him put on an additional 10 lbs this off-season and start bullying guys though, he should be able to do that at this level too.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Completely disagree with this. I think he winds up out on the wing, but that is in a top line role in a few years and more because of other pieces we have and/or are likely to draft. I think we are getting a center in this draft at this point.

In any event he is 19 years old, this is far from what he is going to be. Not all is lost, I actually see encouraging things in terms of him learning to use his massive frame more effectively each time out. This is going to be an important learning year. I would like to see him put on an additional 10 lbs this off-season and start bullying guys though, he should be able to do that at this level too.

Then you don't actually disagree with me. I just forgot to proofread. I meant doesn't have the skill set of a top 6 center, but will likely spend his career as a top 9 big bodied winger.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Then you don't actually disagree with me. I just forgot to proofread. I meant doesn't have the skill set of a top 6 center, but will likely spend his career as a top 9 big bodied winger.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd project Rasmussen to wind up approximately halfway between a Holmstrom and a Franzen. (Not saying I agree or disagree with that projection; just trying to clarify.)

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Anyone here think Rasmussen has been unlucky and should have more points?

Idk if it’s bad puck luck or his nervousness. Should have had two in the last game and either would have been massive and got them to OT at least. He’s not really appreciated for what he’s done on the PP either. For how little ice time he’s gotten and the line mates he’s had I’d be very happy if he started converting on half of these chances around the net that he’s getting

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I may be in the minority here, not sure what the consensus is, but he should NOT be playing in Detroit this year. I hate this decision they are making. He has no goals, and only 1 assist, playing respectable minutes. No, he hasn't been "terrible" but he also has not shown that he is "far too good for junior" like many people are saying.

I see no harm for him as a player, or for his development, to send him to Junior, let him go and be a first line player, go win a Gold for Canada, and then call him up for 3-5 games at the end of the year. Get hi out of this losing culture. Our team sucks, and our players don't compete. Why should he be on this team?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd project Rasmussen to wind up approximately halfway between a Holmstrom and a Franzen. (Not saying I agree or disagree with that projection; just trying to clarify.)
I think he peaks at a more defensively sound/driver of possession version of Franzen if he reaches his potential.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I may be in the minority here, not sure what the consensus is, but he should NOT be playing in Detroit this year. I hate this decision they are making. He has no goals, and only 1 assist, playing respectable minutes. No, he hasn't been "terrible" but he also has not shown that he is "far too good for junior" like many people are saying.

I see no harm for him as a player, or for his development, to send him to Junior, let him go and be a first line player, go win a Gold for Canada, and then call him up for 3-5 games at the end of the year. Get hi out of this losing culture. Our team sucks, and our players don't compete. Why should he be on this team?

I don't think he's shown he's NHL ready. Even those defending him have called him timid, tentative, watches the plays, etc. All of those, to me, are red flags.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why should he be on this team?
It depends on what you think he needs to learn, and where you believe he can learn it.

If there are important facets to his game that can achieve meaningful growth in juniors, then by all means, let the kid rock it out there (whether on his former team, or on a better one via trade).

But if you feel that what he needs can only be pursued against AHL or better level competition, then he's stuck here because of the transfer agreement.

Personally, I think Ras has things he could still improve upon in juniors, but I don't know the kid well enough to know if that's how he would develop best, and he's shown a few good things even on a lousy roster, so I'm torn about what he should do.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

they can still send him down later. and probably should if the situation (both team and ras' play) doesn't improve.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

I think the issue is complicated by the fact that the guy is monster (physically speaking). What's better for his development at this point? Should they let him learn how to play against grown men, or send him back to junior where he can push some kids around for season? I'm unsure what the right move is because I think it's pretty close.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He should go back down now. He can play with Canada in the World Juniors. Won't be able to push guys around there. He'll either be at the A next year if he's not showing ready in pre-season again or he'll be with the Wings with a season of being a BAMF.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I think the issue is complicated by the fact that the guy is monster (physically speaking). What's better for his development at this point? Should they let him learn how to play against grown men, or send him back to junior where he can push some kids around for season? I'm unsure what the right move is because I think it's pretty close.
This guy is tall, but not yet physically strong. Remember Todd Bertuzzi at his peak, that was an immovable monster. Rasmussen needs to bulk up and get physically stronger as his body matures. He is not there yet.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He should go back down now. He can play with Canada in the World Juniors. Won't be able to push guys around there. He'll either be at the A next year if he's not showing ready in pre-season again or he'll be with the Wings with a season of being a BAMF.

No way. Everyone including Holland wants the team to get younger. Ramussen has directly aided on 3-4 goals and a beauty assist to Bertuzzi's goal. Obviously many people aren't conscious of it but he has an extreme nose for the net. The last couple games he's gotten more ferocious with his stick/body battling for pucks. The Wings tried Martin Frk for a game instead and that's a dead end. Still surprised after watching the shell of Abdelkader and frail old Nielsen every couple days this is the issue some fans are so adamant about.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
This guy is tall, but not yet physically strong. Remember Todd Bertuzzi at his peak, that was an immovable monster. Rasmussen needs to bulk up and get physically stronger as his body matures. He is not there yet.

Right. It's all relative though. Strong enough to beat kids in junior over the head with pillows, not strong enough to push around players in the NHL. The question is where he should end be.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I think the one benefit if he went down again, he could hit the gym pretty hard.

He wouldn't have to worry so much about being in absolute peak level for an NHL game and could concentrate on building his body up to be stronger and heavier. Still looks like he could pack on another 20lbs and be effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad