News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You think it is over-optimism to see Larkin as a 70 point 2 way center in the future?
No, but he said Larkin will be worth more than Pastrnak and the reason being is Larkin will be eventually a 70 point player when in REALITY Pasta has already done it twice and has a 80 point campaign. They are the same age so if we ASSUME Larkin will be a 70 player ONE DAY we can also assume Pastrnak will also get better too. The whole point is one guy is already doing this and more and the other one is pure speculation. Like I said just because we like the wings doesn't mean our players are better in this case Larkin is CLEARLY the worse player.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Well he **** talks Larkin a lot so, yea, probably.

But the guy that has 2 two way monsters that are ppg players on his line totally carries everything.
Tell me one thing I have EVER said about Larkin that isn't true? Again making up things to fit your narrative...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Tell me one thing I have EVER said about Larkin that isn't true? Again making up things to fit your narrative...
You have a conniption whenever someone suggests he become the captain.

So what center of the future do draft if we take Pastrnak?
Since its all revisionism we took Boeser instead of Svech, do you take a center instead of Cholowski? Oh you took Chychrun instead because up until a month ago he was far and away the pick to take in that situation? Vilardi or Necas over Rasmussen? Are they the future 1C/2C we needed?

Stupid rabbit hole.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Back to Rasmussen, now that it looks like he will stay I would like to see him on a line with Larkin since he is this "great playmaking center" and Ras is "exciting to watch"

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You have a conniption whenever someone suggests he become the captain.

So what center of the future do draft if we take Pastrnak?
Since its all revisionism we took Boeser instead of Svech, do you take a center instead of Cholowski? Oh you took Chychrun instead because up until a month ago he was far and away the pick to take in that situation? Vilardi or Necas over Rasmussen? Are they the future 1C/2C we needed?

Stupid rabbit
I said Larkin hasn't done enough yet to be the captain of a franchise like DRW not he will/should never be the captain.HE HAS TO EARN IT. And getting 63 points once ain't enough buddy. I don't care he is from Michigan.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I said Larkin hasn't done enough yet to be the captain of a franchise like DRW not he will/should never be the captain.HE HAS TO EARN IT. And getting 63 points once ain't enough buddy. I don't care he is from Michigan.
Him being from Michigan has pretty much nothing to do with most of us wanting him to be captain.
Pasta isn't an 80 point player on this team last year. His line mates were ppg players
Marchand and bergy played in 132 games and put up 148 points combined.

He's a great player in a great situation. That line is unreal together.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Him being from Michigan has pretty much nothing to do with most of us wanting him to be captain.
Pasta isn't an 80 point player on this team last year. His line mates were ppg players
Marchand and bergy played in 132 games and put up 148 points combined.
More speculation from you. The guy scored 80 points that's a fact. Anyway you're so bias please stop talking to me about this. I state facts you give reasons why one is under performing and try to shade other teams players accomplishments. Larkin is a top center in the NHL and should be the captain. If you say otherwise you are negative lol. Ok.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Or how about we talk about facts instead of speculation and over-optimism and mask them as being facts because we all like the red wings?

Larkin, last year, on a **** roster (so, yeah, over optimistic on my team, good call on that one) scored 63 points while growing in a defensive role. Larkin this year on an even bigger dumpster fire of a team that routinely has been icing AHL caliber talent around him including those overpaid garbage heaps has 7 points in 9 games in a stretch where the Wings were missing their top 4D... or a 64 point pace. He literally just saved the game against Florida to allow Nyquist to win it on a breakaway with a STELLAR defensive play. Against Carolina, HE was the guy that the Wings were doubleshifting and Carolina was attempting to check with the Jordan Staal line. He isn't getting the benefit of easy matchups anymore. He's all Detroit has and other teams know it.

These are all facts. Larkin is drawing the most attention from other teams because the rest of the Wings are ****ing garbage and he's potting points at the same rate he got when Zetterberg was on the roster.

Larkin looks good enough to be optimistic about.
Cholowski looks good enough to be optimistic about.

****, even in this very topic, I support sending Rasmussen back to juniors because he's not ready to be a full time NHLer yet. In gameday topics, I've been a proponent of sending Hronek down because he's not ready. He's looked okay, but a lot of the blowout in Montreal was situations that Hronek had a huge part in creating.

And I didn't say that Larkin will be a better scorer than Pasta. He probably won't. If he stays as a 63-65 point C with a great two way game and Pasta is an 80 point winger though, I'd certainly argue that he's more valuable. I know you probably saw me say Larkin was more like Bergeron and figured I was comparing them right now. I'm saying that is the type of player Larkin should mold out to be. Not at the same level, because Bergeron might be the best two-way C in hockey now that Datsyuk is out of the league (Datsyuk was routinely PPG with Selke play, Bergeron is routinely PPG with Selke play), but that Bergeron is the type of player that you should use as Larkin's measuring stick because they are looking to be filling the same role.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
22te8q.gif

Reactions: Obe2kenobe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
More speculation from you. The guy scored 80 points that's a fact. Anyway you're so bias please stop talking to me about this. I state facts you give reasons why one is under performing and try to shade other teams players accomplishments. Larkin is a top center in the NHL and should be the captain. If you say otherwise you are negative lol. Ok.

To take your tack... he scored 80 points once. That doesn't make him an 80 point wing, if scoring 63 doesn't make Larkin a 63 point C. And I'm sorry that anticipating that Larkin might get 7 more points as the Wings bring in talent like Zadina, Cozens/Hughes/Kappo, Veleno, etc to replace guys like Nyquist, Abdelkader, and Vanek.

E: And yeah, have fun with this. I have an actual argument that you can rail against and you just want to talk about me being too optimistic and complaining that the guy who is currently the best skater we have and who is being recognized as such by other teams actively trying to match lines against him hasn't done enough to be a Red Wings Captain and hasn't earned it.

Larkin hasn't earned the C yet which is why he has an A. Had he earned it, the Wings would have given it to him. So... yeah, done with you.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
On Rasmussen, I think the Wings have been wrong in their thinking. I think he should be playing C in juniors and focusing on positioning and the like. Stuff that him being a man among boys wouldn't preclude him from improving. Tell him, we see you as a center, not as a wing. We want you and Larkin to form the C core. Or, if you want to keep him up... swap him and Vanek from 2nd to 4th lines a bit. Give him a taste of having guys who can get the puck towards the net and sustained opportunity at it.

If you want an attempt at a C, send him to juniors. If all he will ever be is an attempt to re-create Tomas Holmstrom, keep him here and let him play the 2016 Vanek minutes (2nd line with 2nd line caliber players and if he picks it up, get him on a line with Larkin). If you're gonna keep him up, put him in a spot where piano-pulling and net front is helpful. If not, send him to juniors with directive to play C as much as possible.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
On Rasmussen, I think the Wings have been wrong in their thinking. I think he should be playing C in juniors and focusing on positioning and the like. Stuff that him being a man among boys wouldn't preclude him from improving. Tell him, we see you as a center, not as a wing. We want you and Larkin to form the C core. Or, if you want to keep him up... swap him and Vanek from 2nd to 4th lines a bit. Give him a taste of having guys who can get the puck towards the net and sustained opportunity at it.

If you want an attempt at a C, send him to juniors. If all he will ever be is an attempt to re-create Tomas Holmstrom, keep him here and let him play the 2016 Vanek minutes (2nd line with 2nd line caliber players and if he picks it up, get him on a line with Larkin). If you're gonna keep him up, put him in a spot where piano-pulling and net front is helpful. If not, send him to juniors with directive to play C as much as possible.

Transitioning in as a winger worked well for Larkin, why not try it with Ras? Although I do think he should be in the top 6 while you do it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
To take your tack... he scored 80 points once. That doesn't make him an 80 point wing, if scoring 63 doesn't make Larkin a 63 point C. And I'm sorry that anticipating that Larkin might get 7 more points as the Wings bring in talent like Zadina, Cozens/Hughes/Kappo, Veleno, etc to replace guys like Nyquist, Abdelkader, and Vanek.

E: And yeah, have fun with this. I have an actual argument that you can rail against and you just want to talk about me being too optimistic and complaining that the guy who is currently the best skater we have and who is being recognized as such by other teams actively trying to match lines against him hasn't done enough to be a Red Wings Captain and hasn't earned it.

Larkin hasn't earned the C yet which is why he has an A. Had he earned it, the Wings would have given it to him. So... yeah, done with you.
He scored 70 once 80 once and over 30+goals twice. Is clearly the better player it's not even debatable.Just stop this nonsense guys!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not sure playing C in juniors would be overly helpful. Because of his maturity and physical gifts, he'd be able to cheat the small things a lot. He's going to simply overpower folks in faceoffs, he's going to out muscle them without a lot of effort in the defensive zone, etc. The ideal place is the AHL, but that can't happen. I'm hoping we just shift him to center in detroit as the season goes along. Let him center the "fourth" line and learn to dominate his match-ups there.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No, but he said Larkin will be worth more than Pastrnak and the reason being is Larkin will be eventually a 70 point player when in REALITY Pasta has already done it twice and has a 80 point campaign. They are the same age so if we ASSUME Larkin will be a 70 player ONE DAY we can also assume Pastrnak will also get better too. The whole point is one guy is already doing this and more and the other one is pure speculation. Like I said just because we like the wings doesn't mean our players are better in this case Larkin is CLEARLY the worse player.

Larking being a center at 70 points >>>>> Pastrnak being a winger at 80 points.

Larkin would definitely be worth more, even though Pastrnak would produce more offense.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm not sure playing C in juniors would be overly helpful. Because of his maturity and physical gifts, he'd be able to cheat the small things a lot. He's going to simply overpower folks in faceoffs, he's going to out muscle them without a lot of effort in the defensive zone, etc. The ideal place is the AHL, but that can't happen. I'm hoping we just shift him to center in detroit as the season goes along. Let him center the "fourth" line and learn to dominate his match-ups there.

That's a good point. It really is irksome, because he's not ready to be in the NHL but he's too big and strong for juniors. He is tailor-made to be an AHL player right now and because of the transfer agreement, he can't be.

Transitioning in as a winger worked well for Larkin, why not try it with Ras? Although I do think he should be in the top 6 while you do it.

Eh, I'm not so sure it's the same thing. Larkin has always been ear-marked as a C. He was always going to be moved to center at some point. I'm not so certain they have the same thing in mind for Rasmussen.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's a good point. It really is irksome, because he's not ready to be in the NHL but he's too big and strong for juniors. He is tailor-made to be an AHL player right now and because of the transfer agreement, he can't be.

Eh, I'm not so sure it's the same thing. Larkin has always been ear-marked as a C. He was always going to be moved to center at some point. I'm not so certain they have the same thing in mind for Rasmussen.
Rasmussen was drafted as a C.They definitely Invision him to be that at some point. I rather him dominate the Whl than suck on the wings.His confidence will be shot.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Am I the only one that thinks he looks out of place 90% of the time he's on the ice? I would hope he gets sent down. Now isn't his time. Let him dominate back in juniors, play for team Canada and then maybe after the holidays if we have an opening due to injury; bring him back up. I'm not at all implying that we should "over ripen" him as the old Detroit Red Wing mentality would have been, just let him grow into his body more. The poor guy skates as if his legs can't support that big frame he possesses, have him work on his balance, let him figure it out in juniors and not on the circus act of a team we have this season. Confidence for a young player is key, and him getting outplayed most shifts isn't good for his confidence.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Am I the only one that thinks he looks out of place 90% of the time he's on the ice? I would hope he gets sent down. Now isn't his time. Let him dominate back in juniors, play for team Canada and then maybe after the holidays if we have an opening due to injury; bring him back up. I'm not at all implying that we should "over ripen" him as the old Detroit Red Wing mentality would have been, just let him grow into his body more. The poor guy skates as if his legs can't support that big frame he possesses, have him work on his balance, let him figure it out in juniors and not on the circus act of a team we have this season. Confidence for a young player is key, and him getting outplayed most shifts isn't good for his confidence.
Not an option.

Reactions: 13to40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad