News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Protecting Larkin, Mantha, Nielsen (because we know they will), AA, Abby (again, we know they will), One UFA forward, DD, Cholo and Green gets them there already.
If management will protect two players who don't deserve to be protected then that's on them. And no I don't buy that either Abby or Nielsen will be protected in two seasons.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Who even says they will get anyone worth saving?

What is the maximum number of free agents they could sign that would spell trouble for the team once the expansion draft occurs (assuming Ras has to be protected)?

The only way Ras will have to be protected is if they move the expansion draft to after the 20-21 season because they are delayed. At that point, we will have to protect Zadina as well.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
While Rasmussen's stats are a bit underwhelming, the majority of the high-end, first-round forwards (drafted outside of the top-2) from the 2017 draft class who started the year in the NHL have similar production. Pettersson being the exception.
  • Mittelstadt - 1+2=3 in 12 GP
  • Necas - 1+1=2 in 8 GP (in AHL now)
  • Chytil - 0+2=2 in 12 GP
  • Yamamoto - 1+1=2 in 11 GP
  • Thomas - 0+1=1 in 6 GP
  • Vesalainen 0+1=1 in 5 GP (in AHL now)
  • Rasmussen - 1+1=2 in 10 GP
Everyone else started season in the AHL or Junior

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
If management will protect two players who don't deserve to be protected then that's on them. And no I don't buy that either Abby or Nielsen will be protected in two seasons.

I think we'll have to protect Nielsen because of his NMC (according to the 2017 expansion rules). I don't think we have to protect Abby because he only has a NTC.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah I gotta agree with you. Saying that the wings are going to protect a UFA forward, Abby, Green and Dekeyser is just someone wanting to sound negative about the situation. IF the expansion draft gets moved a year (which the wings front office probably knows more about than hfboards) and IF the wings decide to protect a UFA forward, Abby and protects Neilson instead of buying him out or something then it could hurt the wings.

Or you know the other possibility it happens when its supposed to so Rasmussen doesnt need to be protected, they leave Abby exposed to protect Bertuzzi, and they have an extra spot to protect someone because theyre likely not signing a big name UFA forward next offseason. At that point Green wont be protected, Dekeyser maybe but who cares if he is or not he might be tradeable, Cholowski is the only D worth worrying about and Hronek.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think we'll have to protect Nielsen because of his NMC (according to the 2017 expansion rules). I don't think we have to protect Abby because he only has a NTC.
We don't know the stipulations to Nielsen's NMC. He may be able to be exposed like Bobby Ryan was with his similar contract situation going into the expansion draft. His NMC could be worded to only prevent being sent down to the AHL.
Bobby Ryan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
We don't know the stipulations to Nielsen's NMC. He may be able to be exposed like Bobby Ryan was with his similar contract situation going into the expansion draft. His NMC could be worded to only prevent being sent down to the AHL.
Bobby Ryan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hmm, true. I figured if there was a stipulation it would be on CapFriendly because NTC details (like Abby's Top 9 minutes stipulation) are detailed there. But if Bobby Ryan could be exposed I guess Frans could have something worked in too.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We do know the stipulations on Nielsen's contract. It was only a 1 year NMC to protect him from the Vegas draft.
I was under that impression as well, but there are examples from the last expansion of players that had a secondary nmc like that who had to be protected. Phenuef, I believe, being one iirc. Leading me to not speculate on what I do not know for sure.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Reactions: ThankGord

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
CapFriendly has NMC through the end of the contract. Do you have another source? Just curious if we'll have to protect him or not, doubt Seattle would take him.
Frans Nielsen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I believe the point was that, at the next expansion draft the Nielsen contract will have the exact same clauses the Ryan contract had for the Vegas Expansion. Given that Ryan was exposed this would seemingly suggest that Nielsen will be eligible for exposure at the next draft.

You'd probably have to read over the actual contracts to know for sure and obviously a lot could change by the time the draft rolls around. Regardless, given what we know now, it would seem protecting Nielsen would be optional.

Reactions: ThankGord

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dekeyser, Green and Abby won't get protected for the next expansion draft. First, it won't be Holland in charge of that and second, Holland has been making smart moves the past 2+ seasons with regards to the future and not "present" of the team. All this seems to come from complaints to his past moves and signing Vanek and Bernier this off season, which hurt exactly no one in the prospect pool. Zadina wasn't ready, Z had to retire, Rasmussen isn't ready for full top 6 minutes yet, and Svech is hurt, so having an NHL body extra up front didn't disrupt anything.

If Nielsen can be left exposed, he will be, Dekeyser, Abby, Green, Helm and whoever else will be left exposed. People need to stop living in the past of 2+ years ago, with the future largely being overlooked. Holland made a boatload of questionable moves and non moves in the past, his recent track record however, has been future based, and only those with blinders on, will still call him out on it, and continue to dwell on it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't see a reason to buy Nielsen out. We'll leave him unprotected for the expansion draft because we won't get hit with any sort of cap penalty. We save so little buying him out versus just keeping him that I think the Wings hold on and look to deal him (and others) at the end of their deals and try to get some value of it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't see a reason to buy Nielsen out. We'll leave him unprotected for the expansion draft because we won't get hit with any sort of cap penalty. We save so little buying him out versus just keeping him that I think the Wings hold on and look to deal him (and others) at the end of their deals and try to get some value of it.

There is some belief out there that a couple more cap compliance buyouts will exist coming out of the next lockout... I mean CBA. I am not sure they will do that on the league level but I know why people are thinking it might happen.

Nielsen makes low money on the end of his deal, his skating is likely to make him a useful depth guy. So when the time comes if we are quick enough in our rebuild for this to matter, which actually seems the bigger leap for me. The compliance buyout should probably be used on Abdelkader first and we will see. I am not sure Nielsen wins out and if you only get one, Abdelkader is the slam dunk to use it on.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There is some belief out there that a couple more cap compliance buyouts will exist coming out of the next lockout... I mean CBA. I am not sure they will do that on the league level but I know why people are thinking it might happen.

Nielsen makes low money on the end of his deal, his skating is likely to make him a useful depth guy. So when the time comes if we are quick enough in our rebuild for this to matter, which actually seems the bigger leap for me. The compliance buyout should probably be used on Abdelkader first and we will see. I am not sure Nielsen wins out and if you only get one, Abdelkader is the slam dunk to use it on.

I think there are some teams that really want them, and they're floating it out there now to test the waters and try to set the stage for it. Without signifying changing something fundamental to the cap structure I'm not sure how they can justify adding buyouts, though. Not to mention what they'd have to do to get enough teams to buy into a protracted lockout to get this, because I can't imagine the players really being up to take a smaller cut of the pie. I'm tired of the NHL going into labor negotiations with the intent of protecting the dumbest GMs from their dumb decisions.

With a buyout, the guy I'd look at is Dekeyser. Up front, even if we don't want to, there are the roster spots to bury a lousy player. Yeah, Gator would be an expensive fourth liner, but we have some spots to "waste" like that. On the blueline it gets harder to hide something like that. You can only cut back his minutes so much because you only have five other D back there. Even right now, when healthy, there's a fair argument Dekeyser is already just our fifth best D.

Reactions: Oddbob

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think there are some teams that really want them, and they're floating it out there now to test the waters and try to set the stage for it. Without signifying changing something fundamental to the cap structure I'm not sure how they can justify adding buyouts, though. Not to mention what they'd have to do to get enough teams to buy into a protracted lockout to get this, because I can't imagine the players really being up to take a smaller cut of the pie. I'm tired of the NHL going into labor negotiations with the intent of protecting the dumbest GMs from their dumb decisions.

With a buyout, the guy I'd look at is Dekeyser. Up front, even if we don't want to, there are the roster spots to bury a lousy player. Yeah, Gator would be an expensive fourth liner, but we have some spots to "waste" like that. On the blueline it gets harder to hide something like that. You can only cut back his minutes so much because you only have five other D back there. Even right now, when healthy, there's a fair argument Dekeyser is already just our fifth best D.

If we get two, you have the two I would select for this. DeKeyser and Abdelkader.

Reactions: Winger98 and Oddbob

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I see Abdelkader getting traded to Arizona eventually. He would cost 1.5 for a 4.25 cap hit last 2 years and he would waive NTC for the golfing. Speculative fiction.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad