News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why would need buyouts at this point?

Part of it could be roster space, especially on the blueline. Another part could be cap space if the Wings are seriously looking at spending on UFA the next few years. Something that I think is overlooked because they are homegrown kids is the lockerroom. Add a couple more years of lousiness, kids coming in and stealing spots/pushing vets down the roster, etc., and some guys we may not think of being issues might become them.

Do I think buying someone out will be a necessity? No, but I if it's something that's presented to us that doesn't hurt our cap...it's not an option I'd ignore to change the team.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
I'd be surprised. Why would he be bought out?
(1) There’s precedent, with Weiss. (2) he’s already underperforming and really slow, I expect that to only worsen over the years and (3) Larkin, Veleno, De la Rose, Glendening, maybe Ras if we move him to center and likely our first round pick this year are all better centers

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
(1) There’s precedent, with Weiss. (2) he’s already underperforming and really slow, I expect that to only worsen over the years and (3) Larkin, Veleno, De la Rose, Glendening, maybe Ras if we move him to center and likely our first round pick this year are all better centers

:laugh:

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Weiss is a totally different situation look at his numbers compared to Nielsen. Weiss career was over when the wings bought him out

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Right, both playing at least ten fewer games, bottom six minutes and not making $5.25M a year. So yes, I’d rather have all of those centers I listed in lieu of Frans Nielsen entering the 2020-2021 season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Right, both playing at least ten fewer games, bottom six minutes and not making $5.25M a year. So yes, I’d rather have all of those centers I listed in lieu of Frans Nielsen entering the 2020-2021 season.

You preferring those guys to Nielsen is a lot different than "not being surprised" about a buyout.

What you (read: we) want and what Holland has done/ will do are not the same thing.

I personally would be surprised to see a buyout. Unless the league is giving out the compliance types again.

Not trying to be nitpicky but going based on history, Holland is actually EXTREMELY reluctant to move on from old dead weight, we all have seen it.

Reactions: Winger98

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Can't wait to see what he looks like when he adds some weight. For a guy his size he's still getting pushed around, that should change here in a year or two.

Reactions: teddygmr

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Why would any fan thin it’s a good idea to buyout Nielsen to save like 2M but add another six years. Makes no sense

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

just because you'd prefer to have those guys with their contracts doesn't make them better

i'd rather have Nyquist and his contract than Toews and his,doesn't make him a better player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad