News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I see no reason big enough to send him down.I would keep him in Detroit for the campaign, he can learn at this level. I would loan him to Canada for the WJC regardless in December at this point.

If he is going back to the WHL, I want pressure brought by the Wings to see him sent to Vancouver or Prince Albert by trade.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Who stays and who goes as rookies inch towards all-important 10-game mark? - TheHockeyNews

Lists all rookies likely to stay or go.

I hope he stays up, official "1st" Goal tonight!

Solace (sort of):
Necas going
. "he was absolutely crushed in the possession game. He had a more than three-to-one ratio of offensive zone to defensive zone starts but a relative possession rate 11 percent worse than his teammates."

Not looking to get into a Necas v. Ras debate but thats a tough comparison for me when Necas has like a dozen NA games under his belt.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not looking to get into a Necas v. Ras debate but thats a tough comparison for me when Necas has like a dozen NA games under his belt.

No debate here. Necas has 8 NHL gp, Ras has 7 NHL gp. Identical stats (if you exclude Ras' disallowed goal. Even PIM & +/- are same. I'm glad we took the 6'6" 230 pounder over a guy lighter than Hicketts.

Oct 18, 2006
Thought he’s looked good the last two games, definite improvement. He needs to get stronger and improve his acceleration. All to do with strength and growing into his body though. Don’t know what more he’s going to learn in juniors, so for that reason I’d be keeping him in Detroit, but we won’t.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thought he’s looked good the last two games, definite improvement. He needs to get stronger and improve his acceleration. All to do with strength and growing into his body though. Don’t know what more he’s going to learn in juniors, so for that reason I’d be keeping him in Detroit, but we won’t.

I think he should stay up myself. How do they not see his effective screens on our goals or even almost goals/good scoring chances?

Reactions: JoesuffP

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Keating on the pregame show and Art Regner have both said sending Ras down will have expansion draft implications.

Isn't the expansion draft almost a slam occur the summer of 2020? Which would mean Ras has 2 years of pro experience (if he stays with the Wings this year) and therefore exempt from the expansion draft, no?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Keating on the pregame show and Art Regner have both said sending Ras down will have expansion draft implications.

Isn't the expansion draft almost a slam occur the summer of 2020? Which would mean Ras has 2 years of pro experience (if he stays with the Wings this year) and therefore exempt from the expansion draft, no?

With all the replacement level talent they have, Detroit will not need to worry about protecting what few good players they have.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He has nothing to improve on playing in the WHL. Let him learn on the job. Just send Ehn down. He barely plays 8 minutes a night and isn't very important to our future. I like the kid but Rasmussen's development is far more important.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After announcing in the spring he was a lock this seems crazy. He's made an impact with an assist and by screening 3 or 4 goals. I was hoping to get to watch him grow this season but maybe management feels this team is failing too hard, and Ras isn't proving himself to be enough of a game changer. Are they thinking de la Rose makes us more competitive? :facepalm:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am torn on this. I feel like he has good moments, and moments where he doesn't look confident enough in his abilities right now. I don't think he has been so great, that he is beyond having to worry about it, while he also hasn't been really bad either. I kind of feel like he isn't quite ready yet, and I don't think players really suffer from playing junior too long. We can say he has nothing to gain in junior, but that really isn't true, as he would go down there this time, with some NHL experience, and a bunch of things to work on, while getting a lot of ice time, to work on his deficiencies.

Right now, I feel like he is forgetting that he is BIG, and he needs to use that size with confidence. When he does, he looks pretty good, as he has been decent in the past 2 games, when he doesn't he looks a little lost out there.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I am torn on this. I feel like he has good moments, and moments where he doesn't look confident enough in his abilities right now. I don't think he has been so great, that he is beyond having to worry about it, while he also hasn't been really bad either. I kind of feel like he isn't quite ready yet, and I don't think players really suffer from playing junior too long. We can say he has nothing to gain in junior, but that really isn't true, as he would go down there this time, with some NHL experience, and a bunch of things to work on, while getting a lot of ice time, to work on his deficiencies.

Right now, I feel like he is forgetting that he is BIG, and he needs to use that size with confidence. When he does, he looks pretty good, as he has been decent in the past 2 games, when he doesn't he looks a little lost out there.
The best way for him to learn to use that size at the NHL level is to use it at the NHL level. Dominating kids like he's been doing won't help him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The best way for him to learn to use that size at the NHL level is to use it at the NHL level. Dominating kids like he's been doing won't help him.

Yeah, I feel you, and I partially agree, but I also don't think it will hurt him any, to have a truly dominant WHL season, which he could if he goes down. All in all, it won't bother me if he gets to stay, as I think either way, can be good for his development.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Necas should be way better given that hes played pro against men for 2 years to Ras's 0. I dont actually think that, but it applies just as equally as what you said. Neither have been great but Rasmussen has been better in his debut. Hes not getting sheltered at all and still has better possession numbers than Necas

Yeah, I feel you, and I partially agree, but I also don't think it will hurt him any, to have a truly dominant WHL season, which he could if he goes down. All in all, it won't bother me if he gets to stay, as I think either way, can be good for his development.

I'm in the same boat. He likely could stay the whole year and be fine but I dont think a dominant junior season will hurt either. I would probably keep him in the NHL but let him go play a big role at the world juniors

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think the organization has a serious problem recognizing that you have to develop some skills at the NHL level. Rasmussen has nothing to learn in juniors. Sending him down is the same as flushing a year down the drain. He needs to learn how to produce against "someone his own size" so to speak. Would he be better off in the AHL than NHL? Probably, but seeing as that's not a choice, the NHL is the only option.

I think this is the type of thing that's plagued our defensive development for years. Breaking out pucks against bigger speedier forwards is a huge skill that our D prospects never seem to learn because they get used to the pace of lower levels marinating there for years. Similarly they have to get used to gapping up against NHL forwards or they'll always be a step behind defending.

This is why I'm so bullish on Hronek staying up. He needs to play in the NHL to adjust to the NHL pace or else he's going to look slow and uncomfortable everytime we call him up. Watching him in the AHL level last year it was very clear that he's ready to learn the NHL game at the NHL level. That being said the AHL is better than the press box (...not that he belongs there in the first place)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really wish he could go to GR and play with Zadina, this is a case of the CHL-NHL agreement being against a player’s best interest in my opinion.

Not sure playing big minutes in the WHL is the worst thing, but 1C in the AHL feels like the right fit.

What’s interesting is Veleno and Rasmussen could be competing for the same spot on Team Canada. Not sure both get picked, they really like to go with guys who have been there before for better or worse.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I don't see a problem hes had a taste now, let him go down get his head on right put some mass on that frame spend some time next year in GR with Z and see what happens. right now hes doing a whole lot of nothing in the NHl except learning what it's like to lose every night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen is usable also as a bottom6 player. Let him develop his defence, and don't worry about his scoring.

Somehow people think that a lack of scoring is lack of talent or missing development. He has special tools, which will come out when he is put with elite skill. We just have draft those elite guys first.

Rasmussen should now just stay in NHL, play 10 minutes and hit the gym to become a 250lbs monster, which no one can beat out on the net-front area on the next decade.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Or maybe there is a point to get a cheap extension him, because of his low-scoring.

If that's the plan they may as well trade him. if he's not an impact player at the NHL-level then he needs more development time. Burning years of contract control for no reason makes little sense.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think a year down will help him. Big kids take longer to develop... he doesnt look like he can handle the physicality and pace over an 82 game season. His confidence looks shot.. let him go dominate junior and get a fresh start as a rookie next year with hopefully some more young talent to play with and a coach with fresh ideas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad