News Article: The Hockey News: Rasmussen likely headed back down ***THN was wrong, Ras staying for now***.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
After 9 games has he looked more so as you guys expected? Im ignoring the point totals and have not seen a game. Is he showing good signs or is he just not quite ready? Thanks in advance

This is debated a lot. I think he has improved and his last three games in the lineup have been better. I don't think he gains a ton from being in the WHL. They are going to even give him a run at center because of injuries in the next couple games. He has played hard, he is gripping the stick a bit, but he does well in his board battles and he gets to the front of the net. He is struggling with the pace of play at times, but again I have seen adjustments I find encouraging. It's a learning year for Rasmussen, and I am not super worried about his stats though it would be nice to see him get a bounce or two.

Still it is about what Rasmussen takes from this year and how he progresses. I think he is showing positive signs there. He needs to get stronger and more assertive, I think he will as he stays up. He doesn't gain a ton by manhandling junior players. I expect he will suit up for Team Canada in December and I look forward to the month before camp and his progress after the WJCs in the second half the year. I like that he works hard though, he is coming a long and we are a team that doesn't need to be preoccupied with the standings so I think the current plan makes a lot of sense.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
This is debated a lot. I think he has improved and his last three games in the lineup have been better. I don't think he gains a ton from being in the WHL. They are going to even give him a run at center because of injuries in the next couple games. He has played hard, he is gripping the stick a bit, but he does well in his board battles and he gets to the front of the net. He is struggling with the pace of play at times, but again I have seen adjustments I find encouraging. It's a learning year for Rasmussen, and I am not super worried about his stats though it would be nice to see him get a bounce or two.

Still it is about what Rasmussen takes from this year and how he progresses. I think he is showing positive signs there. He needs to get stronger and more assertive, I think he will as he stays up. He doesn't gain a ton by manhandling junior players. I expect he will suit up for Team Canada in December and I look forward to the month before camp and his progress after the WJCs in the second half the year. I like that he works hard though, he is coming a long and we are a team that doesn't need to be preoccupied with the standings so I think the current plan makes a lot of sense.
Thanks, the effort is good to hear about, cant ask for much more from a young gun. Points would be perfect but i can live with a year of learning and adjustment.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks, the effort is good to hear about, cant ask for much more from a young gun. Points would be perfect but i can live with a year of learning and adjustment.

He has helped screen the goalie a few times on plays where he doesn't get a point and we got a goal which this team struggles with anyway. He had one wiped out by Abdelkader which would have been his first on a deflection. He has had some PP time but he hasn't been used in a ton of high leverage offensive situations outside of that. He did brick a couple open nets a few games ago and that was tough. He has been playing the right way though and I think the points will come. I don't expect a huge point year, we are a bad offensive team too which hurts this for a young player.

What I have seen is the things he can control outright like effort, I have had little issue with. I think he needs to get a little more physical and play through people but we have seen more of that since he sat out in Montreal. Again he is coming along, I really like him to be a big part of the team down the road.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He has helped screen the goalie a few times on plays where he doesn't get a point and we got a goal which this team struggles with anyway. He had one wiped out by Abdelkader which would have been his first on a deflection. He has had some PP time but he hasn't been used in a ton of high leverage offensive situations outside of that. He did brick a couple open nets a few games ago and that was tough. He has been playing the right way though and I think the points will come. I don't expect a huge point year, we are a bad offensive team too which hurts this for a young player.

What I have seen is the things he can control outright like effort, I have had little issue with. I think he needs to get a little more physical and play through people but we have seen more of that since he sat out in Montreal. Again he is coming along, I really like him to be a big part of the team down the road.
Where you high on him going into that draft? And do you have an established pro to compare him too?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where you high on him going into that draft? And do you have an established pro to compare him too?

I was somewhat high on Rasmussen entering his draft. I didn't have him over Necas for instance, but I am different with most Wings fans in terms of being okay with the selection even back at the time. I sort of saw him as an upgraded Martin Hanzal. His ability to play with his back to goal even as a junior is something that I haven't seen often that young. I am old enough to remember Andreychuk who was one of the better PP players ever and Rasmussen reminds me of him in his ability to anchor places and that has shown at times even this year while adjusting to much larger and stronger people around him.

I had him ranked as our top prospect entering the season and Cholowski at #2 so I was higher on both of them than a lot of people in terms of that placement over Zadina. As somebody that bought the WHL game package last year to specifically watch those two their steps forward were apparent last year. Rasmussen is a fairly unique package which is one of the things I do really like about his game and feel with his work ethic teams up to a fascinating ceiling. Which is really where I differ a ton from people who hated this pick in terms of Wings fans. To me it is his ceiling that is most fascinating. If he turns that tremendous work rate and serious nature on and off ice with his physical gifts he could be terrifying. He is good at in tight plays and most of what he really excels at are things that are of significant importance in terms of what makes guys successful at the NHL level in my opinion.

What I have always liked is the way he skates for a big man, he is rare for a big guy in that he is generally still a start and stop skater for like 90% of the time where a lot of bigger men glide more in my opinion. I think when he gets more comfortable he will use his reach more often and he is still scratching the surface there.

Anders Lee is another name that can be thrown out there. I know you need to be careful about just all big guy comparisons, but Rasmussen is a massive young man. He could use another 15 to 20 lbs and looks to have the frame for it as long as his skating doesn't drop off that would be big. But he is learning about man strength on a nightly basis, it is just different in terms of the strength you have in your 20's versus your teens at least in my opinion and I expect that to be a big adjustment in terms of his off-season. But he has to embrace how powerful he can become. Rasmussen is a legitimate weapon in the NHL, a player you can do everything right on and come out on the wrong end of that exchange still. But he is going to need to develop more is all. Good in tight, I think he just needs a few bounces and he can get it going for a bit. But it is consistency shift to shift and night to night that will be key like with all players. He is pretty good at it for a 19 year old and I think he will be a lot better at it in a few years in terms of the impact he can make on a hockey game. Dependable 200 foot player thus far too which is also nice in terms of allowing him to develop even if he isn't piling up a ton of offensive stats.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Still looking lost most of the time. I think they should send him down, but, again, Holland proves too timid to make a hard choice.

He is making a hard choice whether you want to admit it or not; will he grow more dominating against kids, or looking lost and slightly timid as a 19 year old against men?

The decision itself is a hard choice.

I'm fine to see this center experiment. In my eyes he could still projected as Plan A to be a defensive matchup center, more than this Plan B this offensive line winger. Like to see those matchup skills too.

I still think they'll try to ease him in at wing, with the option of putting him at center later on. It worked for Larkin, it may work for Ras.

Sending him down was the easy choice. I completely agree with keeping him up. I would have liked them to say they are loaning him to Team Canada for the WJC, but I guess we will wait on that.

Not burning a year of his ELC and sticking by developing him at the NHL level was the hard choice. Glad they made it as in my opinion it is the right one.

I'm sure they will loan him to Canada regardless... with no repercussions, it would be pretty dumb not to. He can take what he's learned and try to use it, maybe gain some confidence, and come back a better player for it... who knows. Regardless, his confidence will come, but it may be a little slower than some want.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I like THN, at least in terms of reading material, but I think they put way too much into the 10 game trial period. IMO, at least in Rasmussen's case this year, the 40 game mark was always gonna be the bigger decision that will be made.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He is making a hard choice whether you want to admit it or not; will he grow more dominating against kids, or looking lost and slightly timid as a 19 year old against men?

The decision itself is a hard choice.

I still think they'll try to ease him in at wing, with the option of putting him at center later on. It worked for Larkin, it may work for Ras.

I'm sure they will loan him to Canada regardless... with no repercussions, it would be pretty dumb not to. He can take what he's learned and try to use it, maybe gain some confidence, and come back a better player for it... who knows. Regardless, his confidence will come, but it may be a little slower than some want.

The issue is they are afraid that sending him backdown would delay his development. But, he's not showing much at the NHL. He's chasing the play most of the time, and still can be seen watching the play way too often. Instead of ending their experiment and trying again next season, the path of least resistance is to leave him up to flounder, blow a year of his ELC, and lose his protected his status for the expansion draft.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The issue is they are afraid that sending him backdown would delay his development. But, he's not showing much at the NHL. He's chasing the play most of the time, and still can be seen watching the play way too often. Instead of ending their experiment and trying again next season, the path of least resistance is to leave him up to flounder, blow a year of his ELC, and lose his protected his status for the expansion draft.

How is the more risky path "the path of least resistance"? The easy/safe move is sending him down, you literally lose nothing. Keeping him up is where you begin to take the risk. His development is not going to be stunted at 19 playing in the minors.

I have to say, Holland being criticized for not sending a kid down, that's a new one.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How is the more risky path "the path of least resistance"? The easy/safe move is sending him down, you literally lose nothing. Keeping him up is where you begin to take the risk. His development is not going to be stunted at 19 playing in the minors.

I have to say, Holland being criticized for not sending a kid down, that's a new one.

Right now its clear Ras is not NHL ready. He might be AHL ready. The fear they have is he is beyond the WHL (which outside of a small number of games, he never dominated the WHL). The easiest thing to do right now is to keep him up and hope, instead of sending him down, where he is outside their control. Its the same as them not wanting to trade certain players, not because they necessarily believe they are part of the long term plan, but because they are afraid they might get better after the trade.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Right now its clear Ras is not NHL ready. He might be AHL ready. The fear they have is he is beyond the WHL (which outside of a small number of games, he never dominated the WHL). The easiest thing to do right now is to keep him up and hope, instead of sending him down, where he is outside their control. Its the same as them not wanting to trade certain players, not because they necessarily believe they are part of the long term plan, but because they are afraid they might get better after the trade.

I completely understand what you are trying to say, but I just think its a stretch. I feel that the bigger risk is keeping him up, burning a year of his ELC, and seeing zero progression. Keeping him is the more risky move because the consequence is greater. You send him to the WHL, the guy will very likely continue from where he left off, and come back next year a better player. Sending him down is the easy move. Keeping him is the tough move, but it is also the move with the higher reward.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I completely understand what you are trying to say, but I just think its a stretch. I feel that the bigger risk is keeping him up, burning a year of his ELC, and seeing zero progression. Keeping him is the more risky move because the consequence is greater. You send him to the WHL, the guy will very likely continue from where he left off, and come back next year a better player. Sending him down is the easy move. Keeping him is the tough move, but it is also the move with the higher reward.

And I guess my disagreement is that with how the organization is run, I think they see less risk in keeping him up and letting the things fall where they may. But, in the end I think that might be a distinction without a real difference.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

players protection status for the last expansion draft was determined by accured pro years, not ELC years. doubt they make the draft easier for the expansion team after the success vegas had.

player needs to be on the NHL roster for 40 games before he accrues pro year.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If he plays this full year in the NHL, is he free to go down to the AHL next year and be called up/sent down whenever? If this happens, things have obviously not gone as hoped, but I'm just curious

Also, anyone got a list or examples of guys that were playing full time in the NHL and were sent to play in the World Juniors? Would be interesting to compare those guys in the NHL and their play in the WJC

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If he plays this full year in the NHL, is he free to go down to the AHL next year and be called up/sent down whenever? If this happens, things have obviously not gone as hoped, but I'm just curious

he can go up and down between AHL and NHL next year if he plays full year this year, half year or whatever. doesn't matter.

Also, anyone got a list or examples of guys that were playing full time in the NHL and were sent to play in the World Juniors? Would be interesting to compare those guys in the NHL and their play in the WJC

not sure about full list but at least these guys

Victor Mete at eliteprospects.com
David Pastrnak at eliteprospects.com
Jake Virtanen at eliteprospects.com
Elias Lindholm at eliteprospects.com
Brett Connolly at eliteprospects.com
Oscar Möller at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: izlez

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

The only way he will lose his protected status for the expansion draft is if the delay that until after the 20-21 season. If they go with after the 19-20 season like they want, he would still be protected as a 2nd year pro. Besides, who else are you going to protect?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't see why Rasmussen needing to be protected would be an issue considering we don't have all that much worth protecting in the first place.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't see why Rasmussen needing to be protected would be an issue considering we don't have all that much worth protecting in the first place.
You wouldn't put a high-end car alarm on a used AMC Pacer?

o.jpg

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If one is to believe Jimmy D, Detroit will be aggressive starting in the offseason, and bringing in higher end UFAs over the next couple seasons ties ups slots.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
If one is to believe Jimmy D, Detroit will be aggressive starting in the offseason, and bringing in higher end UFAs over the next couple seasons ties ups slots.

For starters, its Jimmy D. If one believes anything he says, it'll be the first time since the 80's. He also mentioned possibly having to go outside the box. We've been going after UFA's for the past 25 years. Doing the same thing we've done for a quarter century is hardly considered going outside the box.

If there's anything useful to be gleaned from his comments, I really doubt going gung-ho in the UFA market, yet again, is it.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Not to mention, if Holland is the frontrunner for the Seattle GM job, we all know he's selecting a lifer Red Wing soldier over a kid. :DD

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
For starters, its Jimmy D. If one believes anything he says, it'll be the first time since the 80's. He also mentioned possibly having to go outside the box. We've been going after UFA's for the past 25 years. Doing the same thing we've done for a quarter century is hardly considered going outside the box.

If there's anything useful to be gleaned from his comments, I really doubt going gung-ho in the UFA market, yet again, is it.

Outside the box in the draft well rebuild. I totally see that to mean that they will try to use free agency to drag the team out of the cellar.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Outside the box in the draft well rebuild. I totally see that to mean that they will try to use free agency to drag the team out of the cellar.
Who even says they will get anyone worth saving?

What is the maximum number of free agents they could sign that would spell trouble for the team once the expansion draft occurs (assuming Ras has to be protected)?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Who even says they will get anyone worth saving?

What is the maximum number of free agents they could sign that would spell trouble for the team once the expansion draft occurs (assuming Ras has to be protected)?

Protecting Larkin, Mantha, Nielsen (because we know they will), AA, Abby (again, we know they will), One UFA forward, DD, Cholo and Green gets them there already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->