The Great Michal Kempny Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Those are going to kill us in three years.

No, but when Kunitz and Ward inevitably suck, which rest assured they will because they're very bad hockey players, it would have been nice to bury 950k of their salaries in the minors where they belong.

Also, weren't you the guy who claimed Kempny was bad and Seabrook is good? LOL

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

It's the kind of offseason workout NHL players all over the world are doing to get ready for the season, and it's what Darling apparently wasn't doing last summer when he signed a four-year, $16.6 million contract, came in out of shape, struggled in net and became the single most critical factor why the Hurricanes missed the playoffs yet again (although there were several).

It is good to see he is back to getting his game back. I still think he can be a starter.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
No, but when Kunitz and Ward inevitably suck, which rest assured they will because they're very bad hockey players, it would have been nice to bury 950k of their salaries in the minors where they belong.

Also, weren't you the guy who claimed Kempny was bad and Seabrook is good? LOL

No, don't make me deal with them down here. You can keep them.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Man, I'm not one to judge but if coming into the season out of shape is true that's a bad look for a guy who's worked his way into a second chance at a career that was all but dead a few short years ago.

Reactions: Ace Rothstein

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Man, I'm not one to judge but if coming into the season out of shape is true that's a bad look for a guy who's worked his way into a second chance at a career that was all but dead a few short years ago.

Not a good look at all. Rob B will not tolerate it if he is anything like he was as a player.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Since Ward is on an NMC...I think he stays with the 'hawks all year.

Yeah, that was kind of my original point in response to @dk2k hand-waving away the issue.

The contracts were already bad, but adding ntc/nmc just makes them worse. When both players inevtiably suck, Stan (and the rest of us) will be wishing he could bury these plugs in the minors.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If they go with a 3 goalie system just clean house already. Total misuse of cap space with other glaring holes on roster. You pay a backup 3m and they better be good enough to force the #3 down to the minors otherwise why pay #2 that much.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they go with a 3 goalie system just clean house already. Total misuse of cap space with other glaring holes on roster. You pay a backup 3m and they better be good enough to force the #3 down to the minors otherwise why pay #2 that much.
It's possible they don't want to lose Forsberg on waivers and still have faith in him. That's a reason why they may go with 3 goalies. And let's be honest, they shouldn't be fired for going with a 3 goalie system, they should be fired for signing the UFAs they signed.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yeah, that was kind of my original point in response to @dk2k hand-waving away the issue.

The contracts were already bad, but adding ntc/nmc just makes them worse. When both players inevtiably suck, Stan (and the rest of us) will be wishing he could bury these plugs in the minors.

The NTC/NMC's aren't major nails in the coffin for Kunitz/Ward. Hell, Kunitz is pretty much on an identical deal to Sharp. 1M for a guy in the bottom 6 is not going to kill the team as much as a repeat year from Saad or Keith.

Ward, on the other hand, is an almost perfect career comparable to Turco in 2011--or even a netminder like Montoya nowadays. Cap-wise Ward should be making no more than 1.75M based on that comparable. That extra cap hit could have gone into a much better D-man than Manning.

You don't pay 3M for a goaltender of that ilk. Even if Stan wanted to do him a solid, give him 1.5M with some performance bonuses attached, not the full 3M salary.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Still possible (though I hope not) that Crow is not ready to play or may never play again.
In that case it's really not 3 goalies. It's Forsberg and Ward.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Still possible (though I hope not) that Crow is not ready to play or may never play again.
In that case it's really not 3 goalies. It's Forsberg and Ward.

You still don't pay 3M for ward though.

Case in point: if the 'hawks would have gone 1.5M in real cap and 1.5 in performance bonuses, instead of 9.3 mil in cap space right now free, they'd have 10.8...which could help. a lot. If not for a bonafied 2-4 D man, at least better depth.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You still don't pay 3M for ward though.

Case in point: if the 'hawks would have gone 1.5M in real cap and 1.5 in performance bonuses, instead of 9.3 mil in cap space right now free, they'd have 10.8...which could help. a lot. If not for a bonafied 2-4 D man, at least better depth.
Yet if they wind up paying that bo us hit next year that's far worse. And still with Jossa gone if Crow is ltir'd all season the bonuses will hit next year

I don't see how even not signing any goalie helps a D acquisition unless you gave them enough to only take a 1-2 year big deal. Since every move is showing to keep cap for the future.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Not really...a ton of guys aren't signed through next year.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed *a* goalie. I'm not even saying that Ward was a bad option, but we're paying him way to much for what his proven output is.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Not really...a ton of guys aren't signed through next year.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed *a* goalie. I'm not even saying that Ward was a bad option, but we're paying him way to much for what his proven output is.

Ward's contract doesn't look bad when viewed in tandem with the one given to Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad