OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Haven’t had too much experience with brine, but can tell you that the best Turkey I have ever cooked soaked in a brine for 24 hours. Lots of work with a turkey LOL!

This was how I did the family turkey for years until I switched to a dry brine method. Much better texture on the bird and the skin gets super crispy.

spatchcock the turkey for a much quicker cooking time as well. Huge time saver for thanksgiving/christmas dinners.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
This was how I did the family turkey for years until I switched to a dry brine method. Much better texture on the bird and the skin gets super crispy.

spatchcock the turkey for a much quicker cooking time as well. Huge time saver for thanksgiving/christmas dinners.

Good luck stuffing that turkey and don't come at me with stuffing outside the bird witchcraft.

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Good luck stuffing that turkey and don't come at me with stuffing outside the bird witchcraft.

not a huge fan of 'outside the bird' stuffing, either, tbh. Stuffing the bird just dries it out and complicates the cooking process, gives you uneven doneness, etc. My best workaround to this in the past when I've had annoying relatives insisting on stuffing was to cook it in a few chickens beforehand and then reheating them under the spatchcocked/drybrined turkey as it rested post-cook. Rave reviews all around and extra lunch meat for days.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
not a huge fan of 'outside the bird' stuffing, either, tbh. Stuffing the bird just dries it out and complicates the cooking process, gives you uneven doneness, etc. My best workaround to this in the past when I've had annoying relatives insisting on stuffing was to cook it in a few chickens beforehand and then reheating them under the spatchcocked/drybrined turkey as it rested post-cook. Rave reviews all around and extra lunch meat for days.

I've never had an issue with stuffing leading to a dry bird or unevenness, but I have had annoying relatives.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Damn bro do you live in the 80s

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not saying they're better than any fried wings, just any I've made.

2 lbs of wings
Toss with:
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
some pepper
garlic powder if you want.
lay on an oven safe cooling rack, and bake at 250F for 35 minutes.
Turn up the heat to 425 and bake for another 45 minutes.
Coat in sauce

I've fried wings before and wasn't as happy with how they turned out, but these ones always turn out perfectly.

Thanks to @slocal for the recipe!

That's it? That's the recipe? Even a kitchen challenged klutz like me can attempt it. Thanks for that.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Just made some hot wings for supper. The recipe I found as a base for the sauce called for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. Instead, I used 1 tablespoon of habanero powder, one diced up habanero, about a tablespoon of hot sauce (in addition to the Frank's), and garnished with another diced up pepper.

My mouth is on fire :)

yCPnLKg.jpg

Those wings look fantastic! Personally I'm not a big fan of the vinegar based hot sauces as they can be overwhelmingly sour, but often use fresh lemon or lime for balance.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I've never had an issue with stuffing leading to a dry bird or unevenness, but I have had annoying relatives.

I prefer to have the stuffing outside the bird, and fill the cavity with aromatics to flavour from the inside. I brine with a high quality apple juice that is diluted a bit and add fresh herbs. I also cook the bird at a higher than usual temperature, protecting the breast with foil for 30% of the cooking time.

It's not unusual for an average turkey to be out of the oven in under 2 hours.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
That's it? That's the recipe? Even a kitchen challenged klutz like me can attempt it. Thanks for that.
Yeah, they're super easy. You could always add other spices to the flour mix to add a bit more flavour too, but that might get lost if you're covering them with a sauce.

Wing sauces are also super easy to make on your own too. Just look for flavours you like (Garlic parm wing sauce, buffalo, my wife's favourite is honey garlic, etc.).

Reactions: Runner77 and Treb

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Going to be in Montreal Nov. 2-5 on a mini vacation/surprise present for my better half. If anyone has any restaurant recommendations, I’m all ears. Going to Joe Beef and Montreal Plaza on two of the nights, but we still need a 3rd spot to bookend the trip. Any/all types of food are welcome.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Went to Sumac last night with my GF. Good shit. Beauty of a place, that kitchen is one of the most beautiful Ive seen. They don't offer authentic shish taouk so don't whine about it you authentiquites. Not the best falafels or shishtaouk in MTL but I liked it. Love a loaded plate like that. The hummus fries were mamma-mia.

Going to be in Montreal Nov. 2-5 on a mini vacation/surprise present for my better half. If anyone has any restaurant recommendations, I’m all ears. Going to Joe Beef and Montreal Plaza on two of the nights, but we still need a 3rd spot to bookend the trip. Any/all types of food are welcome.
Where are you staying ? That could help us guide you more because some spots are harder to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Went to Sumac last night with my GF. Good ****. Beauty of a place, that kitchen is one of the most beautiful Ive seen. They don't offer authentic shish taouk so don't whine about it you authentiquites. Not the best falafels or shishtaouk in MTL but I liked it. Love a loaded plate like that. The hummus fries were mamma-mia.

Where are you staying ? That could help us guide you more because some spots are harder to get.
My wife went to Sumac last week and brought me some leftovers. It was really good. I'll need to check it out.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Beauty vibe. What did she have ?
She had a soup which she loved but I didn't get to try.

I tried a falalfel, their hummus, one of their super thick pitas with the seasoning (sumac, among others..) on it, and a delicious roasted tomato salad.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
She had a soup which she loved but I didn't get to try.

I tried a falalfel, their hummus, one of their super thick pitas with the seasoning (sumac, among others..) on it, and a delicious roasted tomato salad.

Would that be the delicious harira? As someone who eats a ton of that in the family, I still find Sumac's to be among the best I've tried.

Gotta give Sumac credit for serving actual good pita bread and kefta.

Reactions: Runner77 and Mrb1p

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I never thought of a spatchcock turkey. It's a great idea especially for cooking time and skin crispness. What was in your rub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig