OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Had a delicious dinner on Saturday. (American) Flapjack on the bottom, covered in fried chicken with chopped bacon, green onion, sesame seeds and beer caramel...….then topped by the same combination again.

Kind of a modified chicken and waffle thing. It sounds interesting, but it's likely far too sweet for my own palate.

Reactions: angusyoung

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Something caught my attention in last night's GDT. White vinegar with fries.

That's been a standard in Quebec since forever. It read like some of you had never heard of that or found it disgusting. Yet every hot dog joint has a bottle right next to the salt and ketchup.
Cont me as part of the latter. I never understood that. Why ruins your fries like that?!

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Kind of a modified chicken and waffle thing. It sounds interesting, but it's likely far too sweet for my own palate.

It was sweet alright, but I suppose most of that can be replace by switching the caramel with a different kind of sauce, something with less sweetness to retain some flavor duality.

Am I missing something with the chicken and waffle,etc? never tried it and not sure how that combination really goes.

Get my share of pancake with savory ingredients,but in the pancake itself.

Dam it!now I want a bacon and onion pancake.

It's something I was mystified by for the longest of times, but I eventually tried it not too long ago and really enjoyed it, though I went to place known for making everything inhouse. The flapjack version they switched to is pretty much the same combination, but added the bacon while the flapjacks allow them to sort of pile everything together better (though in function it is more or less the same as waffles).

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Am I missing something with the chicken and waffle,etc? never tried it and not sure how that combination really goes.

Get my share of pancake with savory ingredients,but in the pancake itself.

Dam it!now I want a bacon and onion pancake.

I'm pretty sure it's a Southern US invention. Fried chicken is an absolute staple there, so someone needed to come up with an all-day breakfast item that included it.

I can see the popularity, but it really isn't for me.

Reactions: angusyoung

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It was sweet alright, but I suppose most of that can be replace by switching the caramel with a different kind of sauce, something with less sweetness to retain some flavor duality.

It's something I was mystified by for the longest of times, but I eventually tried it not too long ago and really enjoyed it, though I went to place known for making everything inhouse. The flapjack version they switched to is pretty much the same combination, but added the bacon while the flapjacks allow them to sort of pile everything together better (though in function it is more or less the same as waffles).

The caramel sauce is a bit of a departure from the classic version which has honey. You'll also see pancake syrup in the more mainstream outlets.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm pretty sure it's a Southern US invention. Fried chicken is an absolute staple there, so someone needed to come up with an all-day breakfast item that included it.

I can see the popularity, but it really isn't for me.

Seen it over the years,get to AZ once in a while,but...... not my cup of tea?

Reactions: groovejuice

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
A huge percentage of Americans are morbidly obese and deep fried chicken coupled with a very hefty inclusion of sugar is good eatin' down there.

Chicken and waffles - Wikipedia

Interesting that the dish goes back as far as it does. But those were days when food availability was limited, and people lived much less sedentary lives.

I like fried chicken and I make it 2-3 times a year. Simple sides like cole slaw and a potato dish work for me. The sweet of the syrup doesn't appeal. I know the hot chicken in Nashville is servet with slices of bread.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Interesting that the dish goes back as far as it does. But those were days when food availability was limited, and people lived much less sedentary lives.

I like fried chicken and I make it 2-3 times a year. Simple sides like cole slaw and a potato dish work for me. The sweet of the syrup doesn't appeal. I know the hot chicken in Nashville is servet with slices of bread.

I've heard of that Nashville specialty. That's more appealing to me than the waffle thing.

I have a lot of Filipino friends and was engaged to a beautiful girl from there a few years ago. Fried chicken is a staple in every Filipino home and I've tasted some awfully great versions of it.

Koreans and Japanese also make delicious versions of it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Got a question for y'all: I made some homemade pickled red onions some weeks back, and I have just about emptied the supply. I obviously won't be re-using the leftover (red wine vinegar) brine for my next batch, but I wondered if someone knew of a way to use it further or if it has simply outlived any usefulness at this point. The brine tastes pretty good due to the coriander, garlic, bay leaf and sugar, and I'd rather not throw it all out if possible.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Got a question for y'all: I made some homemade pickled red onions some weeks back, and I have just about emptied the supply. I obviously won't be re-using the leftover (red wine vinegar) brine for my next batch, but I wondered if someone knew of a way to use it further or if it has simply outlived any usefulness at this point. The brine tastes pretty good due to the coriander, garlic, bay leaf and sugar, and I'd rather not throw it all out if possible.

Use it as the vinegar component of a salad dressing?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Is this the inspiration in Quebec for the hot chicken sandwich?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You can reuse brine a couple times before the acidity goes away. Top it up with some vinegar if you need to.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Re-use the vinegar a few times, its how we do in the industry.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Fancy pickled eggs? I've done some with beet vinegar and they turn out awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad