OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's always someone who likes to pee in the pool.

Click below for some quality gouging.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/lifestyle/2019/10/4/1_4623905.html

That's disgusting.

I've been to Italy several times and this type of behavior is legendary. It was much more prevalent 30 years ago where you could buy a pair of shoes and and by the time a salesperson would bag it, they'd replace the shoes with rocks.

Restaurant gouging has unfortunately remained a thing. Taking advantage of tourists with abusive pricing can be avoided given all the review sites. I remember the time I had a situation. I had relied on the menu prices that were in the window but when they showed us the menu at our table, the prices were much higher. I hate when stuff like that happens, it's like some of these low lives think all tourists are dumb and can be had.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Ive travelled quite a bit and Im not a fan of most american place, they over do it on every freaking sauce. Texas style is way too sweet, carolina style is way too vinegary ....

Not my favorite food, to be honest, so dont hate on me if youre an aficionado.

Some places oversmoke as well. Sauce isn't needed on ribs, and should be in moderation on most things in my opinion.

Barbecue is good food, but I find the fetishization of it to be at odds with it's humble roots. Comparing 20 different ribs in a contest just seems ridiculous to me. I am sure the same could be said for many peasant foods.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bison burgers anyone?

Anyone has a good place to try?

Is your spot on this list: The 15 Best Places for Bison in Montreal
A lot of places scam people on this, theres no actual way of telling its bison meat and not beef, usually, when its bison, assume its beef, especially when the price is affordable. I worked shifts at two of those places and have been a regular customer at another and been friend with someone that work at that very place, only two of those actually have bison meat, and Im pretty sure one of those was a bison/beef mix.

Bison is mostly a buzz word that attracts buyer, stay away from those, in the general sense.

If you want to acquire Bison, there's a beautiful ranch in St-jean-port-joli that I always stop by to grab a piece to cook on fire while camping in BSL/Gaspesie. Expensive, but its the good stuff.

Répertoire des membres - Union Québécoise du Bison Theres a few more right there, some much closer but the trip to BSL is always worth it, IMO. Such a beautiful piece of land.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Some places oversmoke as well. Sauce isn't needed on ribs, and should be in moderation on most things in my opinion.

Barbecue is good food, but I find the fetishization of it to be at odds with it's humble roots. Comparing 20 different ribs in a contest just seems ridiculous to me. I am sure the same could be said for many peasant foods.
I agree.

Obviously, a good pit master cooked rib is always nice, but its over complicated to a tee. I like sauce on my ribs, but when its dripping, its not good.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
That's the one! It was run by a bunch of young Mexican kids using their parents' recipes. It was awesome.

That's the one, the rumor I heard was that the landlord hiked their rent some ridiculous amount, no clue if that was really the case.

Reactions: Edgy

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I agree.

Obviously, a good pit master cooked rib is always nice, but its over complicated to a tee. I like sauce on my ribs, but when its dripping, its not good.
It depends on the style of BBQ. Some BBQ is all about the dry rubs, some are all about the sauces. I can't remember which is which now (St. Louis, Texas, Memphis, etc.)

When I make ribs, I'll use a dry rub and slow cook for a few hours and then add a thin layer of sauce before grilling for a few minutes. I agree that if it's dripping with sauce, it isn't great. Same goes for wings..

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Elitism may not be the right word but the "its not authentic" so its not good crowd rubs me the wrong way as a career chef, and it rubs most chefs the wrong way. Just eat the damn food, its good for tuck sakes.
Again, not referring to Gordo per se but I know where Edgy is coming from, sure the word "authentic" gets tossed around a lot but I think often times value/quality ratio is much better in these smaller places, less overhead being the main factor.

I'd rather eat at the small joint as well as opposed to these larger spots.

Reactions: Edgy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Again, not referring to Gordo per se but I know where Edgy is coming from, sure the word "authentic" gets tossed around a lot but I think often times value/quality ratio is much better in these smaller places, less overhead being the main factor.

I'd rather eat at the small joint as well as opposed to these larger spots.
Gordo has like 20 seats

I don't even get where this is coming from, like there's no spots in montreal that have that kind of spots that are worth eating at, so do you just mean the Barbies and Scores of this world ? Obviously. Thats not what Im talking about though.

Just think of it as a grandma recipe-sourced place vs a young creative chef restaurant, both have their values and none of them should be diminished.

Crap on McDonalds, Scores, St-Hub, and the big chains all you want, I don't care about those, but a small business is a small business, no matter whos on the other side.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's disgusting.

I've been to Italy several times and this type of behavior is legendary. It was much more prevalent 30 years ago where you could buy a pair of shoes and and by the time a salesperson would bag it, they'd replace the shoes with rocks.

Restaurant gouging has unfortunately remained a thing. Taking advantage of tourists with abusive pricing can be avoided given all the review sites. I remember the time I had a situation. I had relied on the menu prices that were in the window but when they showed us the menu at our table, the prices were much higher. I hate when stuff like that happens, it's like some of these low lives think all tourists are dumb and can be had.

Not comparable but at a well know Montreal steakhouse the server asked if we'd like mushrooms or pepper sauce and we accepted. Usually the accompaniment is in a small ramekin or so but it showed in a gravy boat 1 for each of us where 1 was sufficient for 6! and charged 10 bucks a boat! No mention to cost when offering. Not sure if that server works on commission or tips,but got no tip can tell you that.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Comparing 20 different ribs is not ridiculous if you're the one doing the comparing. :naughty:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Eating them is great.

Comparing them is the problem.

I used comparing as a euphemism for eating. Guess I should have formulated it differently.

I enjoy meats slow cooked and smoked -- which is what I get when I go to Rubs.

Reactions: Tighthead

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Elitism may not be the right word but the "its not authentic" so its not good crowd rubs me the wrong way as a career chef, and it rubs most chefs the wrong way. Just eat the damn food, its good for tuck sakes.
I never said if it's not authentic then it's not good. I wasn't even implying that. I was talking about places like 3 amigos for example, they call it Mexican and Tex-Mex, it's too greasy and it doesn't taste remotely as good as Taco Frida's. Or the example I gave earlier of "fusion cuisine" and the rise of the taco sushi, stuff like I find tastes like crap and a waste of money.

I am talking about big franchises mostly but not exclusively. For example, I used to love Rotesserie Italienne, a small Italian restaurant on St. Catherine St run by 2 old Italian men (but then they sold it and it was never the same.) It was one of the best Italian food I had in Montreal and in contrast every single place serving Italian food in the old port I tried tasted like someone dumped a can of sauce on overcooked pasta, left it under the heat lamp for 20 minutes then served it.

Anyways, just my take on the food scene, taste is subjective ultimately. No disrespect to your career or chefs in general.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Gordo has like 20 seats

I don't even get where this is coming from, like there's no spots in montreal that have that kind of spots that are worth eating at, so do you just mean the Barbies and Scores of this world ? Obviously. Thats not what Im talking about though.

Just think of it as a grandma recipe-sourced place vs a young creative chef restaurant, both have their values and none of them should be diminished.

Crap on McDonalds, Scores, St-Hub, and the big chains all you want, I don't care about those, but a small business is a small business, no matter whos on the other side.

The first words of my post were, "Again, not referring to Gordo" LOL. No need to be defensive I don't even know much about Gordo, I never criticized it.
I was talking in general terms about the industry in general, there are great places and there are crap places.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I never said if it's not authentic then it's not good. I wasn't even implying that. I was talking about places like 3 amigos for example, they call it Mexican and Tex-Mex, it's too greasy and it doesn't taste remotely as good as Taco Frida's. Or the example I gave earlier of "fusion cuisine" and the rise of the taco sushi, stuff like I find tastes like crap and a waste of money.

I am talking about big franchises mostly but not exclusively. For example, I used to love Rotesserie Italienne, a small Italian restaurant on St. Catherine St run by 2 old Italian men (but then they sold it and it was never the same.) It was one of the best Italian food I had in Montreal and in contrast every single place serving Italian food in the old port I tried tasted like someone dumped a can of sauce on overcooked pasta, left it under the heat lamp for 20 minutes then served it.

Anyways, just my take on the food scene, taste is subjective ultimately. No disrespect to your career or chefs in general.

What Edgy said. :thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: angusyoung

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The first words of my post were, "Again, not referring to Gordo" LOL. No need to be defensive I don't even know much about Gordo, I never criticized it.
I was talking in general terms about the industry in general, there are great places and there are crap places.

I don't care about Gordo it isn't a special restaurant, its good but still. My point was general too.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Tried two slices during the week, felt like sharing some quick thoughts:

1. La Newyorkaise (309 rue de la Montagne, Griffintown)
The name says it all: big, fold-able NYC-style slices in your mouth. Crust was excellent, up there with Adamo (same with the prices for that matter), sauce and cheese were well distributed and tasty. New joint, and I'll back this place up. Great alternative to the aforementioned Adamo.
Score: 7.8

2. Dany Pizza (1237 rue de la Montagne, Golden Square Mile)
First of all, they put sesame seeds on the crust. Not really a positive or negative, just thought I'd mention it. Second, that undercooked crust was still the highlight: tomato sauce was overtly sweet yet somehow lacking tang, cheese had no flavor. Worst pizza I've had in Montreal to date.
Score: 1.4

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
its not bangkok but i'm sure you can find something decent ;) hope you enjoyed.
Oh definitely did!
20191012_141309.jpg
Will come back to live in Thailand within a year or two. Love it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad