OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Just made some hot wings for supper. The recipe I found as a base for the sauce called for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. Instead, I used 1 tablespoon of habanero powder, one diced up habanero, about a tablespoon of hot sauce (in addition to the Frank's), and garnished with another diced up pepper.

My mouth is on fire :)

yCPnLKg.jpg

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Just made some hot wings for supper. The recipe I found as a base for the sauce called for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. Instead, I used 1 tablespoon of habanero powder, one diced up habanero, about a tablespoon of hot sauce (in addition to the Frank's), and garnished with another diced up pepper.

Do you deep fry them?

Any dip on the side?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

yCPnLKg.jpg

Looks good, can't stomach really hot stuff any longer unfortunately. If I had one of those I would have to eat a whole coconut.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Dont kid yourself
Not saying they're better than any fried wings, just any I've made.

2 lbs of wings
Toss with:
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
some pepper
garlic powder if you want.
lay on an oven safe cooling rack, and bake at 250F for 35 minutes.
Turn up the heat to 425 and bake for another 45 minutes.
Coat in sauce

I've fried wings before and wasn't as happy with how they turned out, but these ones always turn out perfectly.

Thanks to @slocal for the recipe!

Reactions: cphabs and slocal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

2 lbs of wings
Toss with:
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
some pepper
Coat in sauce

I've fried wings before and wasn't as happy with how they turned out, but these ones always turn out perfectly.

I knew I saw that somewhere :laugh:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

yCPnLKg.jpg

Those look amazing! You really made them look mouth-watering!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

yCPnLKg.jpg
Fantastic!

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I used to make chicken wings but then realized I could do the same thing with drumsticks! Try it out sometime! Hell of a lot cheaper and just as good!
You're definitely right. I have some drumsticks in the freezer and some sauce leftover. Might have to adjust the cooking time, but that's what instant read thermometers are for.

Reactions: angusyoung

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

2 lbs of wings
Toss with:
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
some pepper
Coat in sauce

Ya, I bake mine too.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
You're definitely right. I have some drumsticks in the freezer and some sauce leftover. Might have to adjust the cooking time, but that's what instant read thermometers are for.
I bake mine and then crisp them up just a bit with the broiler. Other than that? It’s a giant chicken wing IMO

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It depends on the style of BBQ. Some BBQ is all about the dry rubs, some are all about the sauces. I can't remember which is which now (St. Louis, Texas, Memphis, etc.)

When I make ribs, I'll use a dry rub and slow cook for a few hours and then add a thin layer of sauce before grilling for a few minutes. I agree that if it's dripping with sauce, it isn't great. Same goes for wings..
I’m saving this year to get one of those Green Egg ceramic smoker/grill/bake things for next summer! Can’t wait!

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I bake mine and then crisp them up just a bit with the broiler. Other than that? It’s a giant chicken wing IMO

I've learned how to do fried chicken in a Le Creuset on the stovetop.

It is only worth the effort in quantity, but thighs and drums are just perfect.

I love wings but haven't bothered. When I cook them on charcoal I crisp them up with direct cooking for the last few minutes.

Kenji had an oven wings recipe that is okay for getting the crispness.

Really Good Oven-Fried Buffalo Wings Recipe

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I've learned how to do fried chicken in a Le Creuset on the stovetop.

It is only worth the effort in quantity, but thighs and drums are just perfect.

I love wings but haven't bothered. When I cook them on charcoal I crisp them up with direct cooking for the last few minutes.

Kenji had an oven wings recipe that is okay for getting the crispness.

Really Good Oven-Fried Buffalo Wings Recipe
Thanks!

Reactions: Tighthead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad