OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Would that be the delicious harira? As someone who eats a ton of that in the family, I still find Sumac's to be among the best I've tried.

Gotta give Sumac credit for serving actual good pita bread and kefta.
No idea. I'm not even sure if she knew. I'll keep that in mind for when I eat there though!

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I prefer to have the stuffing outside the bird, and fill the cavity with aromatics to flavour from the inside. I brine with a high quality apple juice that is diluted a bit and add fresh herbs. I also cook the bird at a higher than usual temperature, protecting the breast with foil for 30% of the cooking time.

It's not unusual for an average turkey to be out of the oven in under 2 hours.

I cook turkey breast side down to not dry it out. It sounds counter intuitive but trust me it's not, remember heat rises. You're protecting the breast by doing this.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Going to be in Montreal Nov. 2-5 on a mini vacation/surprise present for my better half. If anyone has any restaurant recommendations, I’m all ears. Going to Joe Beef and Montreal Plaza on two of the nights, but we still need a 3rd spot to bookend the trip. Any/all types of food are welcome.

I highly recommend Damas, a Syrian spot in Outremont. Don't usually care for the interior of a place but the room is beautiful. But forget the interior,.you come here for the food, everything is amazing, freshly made even the pitas. The appetizers are all worth trying, their lamb is amazing. On the pricier side but even the main dishes are made for sharing. Well worth it check the reviews.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This was how I did the family turkey for years until I switched to a dry brine method. Much better texture on the bird and the skin gets super crispy.

spatchcock the turkey for a much quicker cooking time as well. Huge time saver for thanksgiving/christmas dinners.

Nice if you want a full bird and crispy skin,but if you just want turkey meat, Cocette method is great,and the gravy is golden.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
In which way is pork brined? never tried it.
Depends what kind of pork you're doing. For thick cut pork chops, I think I just did a simple brine of water, salt and sugar. May have thrown in some peppercorns, a bay leaf or similar. Let it sit for even an hour or two before cooking and it makes a big difference. You could Google it and find recipes that include more complex brines depending on the style you're cooking.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Like any brine, in a salt and sugar solution. I use apple juice, fresh herbs, salt, and often use dry spices like peppercorns and juniper berries.

Appreciate the info,will implement this method on the next opportunity to see how it enhances what I've tried in the past. Sounds good though with apple essence of some sort in the brine along with some other herbs and spices.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Depends what kind of pork you're doing. For thick cut pork chops, I think I just did a simple brine of water, salt and sugar. May have thrown in some peppercorns, a bay leaf or similar. Let it sit for even an hour or two before cooking and it makes a big difference. You could Google it and find recipes that include more complex brines depending on the style you're cooking.

Never did the brine thing with pork,but am certainly looking forward to the next time I do. You guys here here have really given me some ideas to attempt.,thanks.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Like any brine, in a salt and sugar solution. I use apple juice, fresh herbs, salt, and often use dry spices like peppercorns and juniper berries.

Do you guys ever use white pepper? I noticed when I moved to the US they don't sell it in run of the mill grocery stores. I get mine from Asian grocery stores. I always use white pepper corns when I pickle stuff, especially non sweet pickles. In the US they use a lot of selleri seeds in pickles which I don't like at all. I also miss dried juniper berries which I use with some roasts, fowl and game meat, not that I have tasted any game meat since I moved here :).

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do you guys ever use white pepper? I noticed when I moved to the US they don't sell it in run of the mill grocery stores. I get mine from Asian grocery stores. I always use white pepper corns when I pickle stuff, especially non sweet pickles. In the US they use a lot of selleri seeds in pickles which I don't like at all. I also miss dried juniper berries which I use with some roasts, fowl and game meat, not that I have tasted any game meat since I moved here :).

I probably use similar amounts of black and white pepper. I buy the white ground, as its not easy to always find the peppercorns. I do a peppercorn steak with black, white, green, pink and schezuan when I have them all. I always have juniper on hand. I love it with poultry.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Head to a costco and youll find some for sure.

Reactions: groovejuice

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Takoyaki is a perfect munchies and and snack food. Should be more available everywhere.

images
What are they? I could look it up, but I enjoy talking with you guys/gals!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
American palates. :laugh: I'll bet those US Costcos carry 7 types of "cheese" slices and 6 flavours of candy floss, though.

Yes, the other day I bought Dover Sole at Trader Joe's which is a store that have quite a lot of European stuff thanks to being owned by a German grocery chain. Of course that was some sort of pacific sole and I told the cashier that Dover is in the English channel and the Dover Sole is an atlantic fish that costs 50 pounds per kg so it is very expensive awhile this was like $5 for a half a kg, he had no idea what I was talking about. In Europe fish names are protected whereas in the US they call some south Pacific fish for sea trout. The cucumber we eat in Europe is called English cucumber in the US and they are all grown in hot houses in Canada. :) US is all about size, 20 meters of shelves with cereals. At least they have decent bread in the grocery stores now, when I moved here it was mainly sliced bread like wonder bread which is good to clean church paintings with but hardly fit for consumption, coffee used to be horrible as well.

Reactions: groovejuice

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Something caught my attention in last night's GDT. White vinegar with fries.

That's been a standard in Quebec since forever. It read like some of you had never heard of that or found it disgusting. Yet every hot dog joint has a bottle right next to the salt and ketchup.

Reactions: Mrb1p

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think the white vinegar with fries is a bastardization of the malt vinegar served with fish and chips in England. A genuine malt vinegar is a very nice condiment with that dish. Regular white vingar is not at all.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

That's been a standard in Quebec since forever. It read like some of you had never heard of that or found it disgusting. Yet every hot dog joint has a bottle right next to the salt and ketchup.

It was a thing in Ontario as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Thats from my mother! She loved her fries with white vinegar (and her ruffle chips with vinegar.)

Never liked it myself. Ketchup, salt and mayo. Aioli if I wanna get fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad