OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I suspect the hot sandwich goes further back. Most dishes were "inspired" by being the only things on hand. It's just a simple use of leftovers.
Chicken sandwich - Wikipedia
The hot chicken sandwich or simply "hot chicken" (Quebec French: sandwich chaud au poulet) is a type of chicken sandwich consisting of chicken, sliced bread, and gravy (which is generally poutine sauce). The sandwich is usually served with green peas and commonly found in Eastern Canadian cuisine. It's especially popular in Quebec and is often considered one of the province's staple dishes.[7][8] Since it is so commonly found in eateries of Quebec (Rôtisserie St-Hubert, Valentine, e.g.) and less seen outside the province, many Québécois regard it as a part of Quebec cuisine and believe it to have originated in the province.[7] This combination of chicken, gravy, and peas is known by its own term: galvaude,[7] seen in poutine galvaude.
Although less featured in other areas of North America, the sandwich is also found in small diners from the Canadian Maritimes[9] and throughout the Southeastern United States.[10]
The sandwich was a working-class dish already common and well established in North American cuisine by the early 1900s[11] and featured on the food menus of pharmacists and druggists of the time.[12] Due to its ease of preparation and its minimal costs, the sandwich was also widely served in the mess halls and cafeterias of the mid-1900s.[13][14]
This style of sandwich often makes use of leftovers from a previous meal. Substituting turkey for the chicken would make a hot turkey sandwich[15] and substituting roast beef makes a variety of the roast beef sandwich.[16]

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I suspect the hot sandwich goes further back. Most dishes were "inspired" by being the only things on hand. It's just a simple use of leftovers.

Well we got the answer from whats his name above,kudos and thanks for that.

All for leftovers and maximizing yield,but draw the straw with haggis.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well we got the answer from whats his name above,kudos and thanks for that.

All for leftovers and maximizing yield,but draw the straw with haggis.
I surprisingly really liked haggis, nothing what I expected when you hear what it’s made of

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
TOETO of course,just not a fan. Was introduced to kokoretsi ions ago and can still taste it. lol.
I’ve never tried kokoretsi, looking at some of the pics appears to be a little more ‘miscellaneous’ looking which would probably throw me off too. My ex-boss was Scottish and used to host an annual charity golf tournament with the whole haggis ceremony, was terrified the first time but after a few shots of Scotch courage found it to be like a spiced dry mince pudding. Started to crave it after, even resorted once to canned haggis, would not recommend the latter

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Make on at home it takes like 5 minutes if you're lazy enough
What, I'm going to cook a chicken just to make a sandwich? Then I got to go out and buy a can of peas? And do I have any brown sauce? No. French fries? damn I forgot... C'est ben du trouble pour une estie d'sandwich. :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What, I'm going to cook a chicken just to make a sandwich? Then I got to go out and buy a can of peas? And do I have any brown sauce? No. French fries? damn I forgot... C'est ben du trouble pour une estie d'sandwich. :laugh:

Rotisserie chicken
Sachet of sauce/pot of sauce at provigo
Fries at provigo
Tite canne of peas
Bread

Consume

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Hot chicken = dish served on Mondays at the school cafeteria with the leftover chicken from the week before

Or at least that's what I remember from 25 years ago

Reactions: MXD

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I just opened my Publisac, in it is a delivery menu from the local pizza joint, on their menu a nice picture of a hot chicken sandwich, 2 for 19$. :laugh:

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad