OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Spent a week in Rhodes. Food, drink, and culture was incredible. Jealous!

Most places in Greece are good for food and wine,lousy for fishing though! Was a lot better before the Olympics and converting to the Euro,like many nations. Haven't been to Rodos since the 80's,will be back maybe next year possibly. Usually great weather between April and October,a little hot and no rain,but ideal for the water.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Reactions: groovejuice

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Will certainly check this out when possible. Looks like strictly Spanish oil,but warrants a look in to it. 30$ for 500 ml? ouch! Gonna have to have a conversation with a few friends about this for sure! Sounding like it has rather lucrative possibilities.

I visited the store at Marche Jean-Talon, it's quaint. Can't go wrong with Milano and Berchicci either. Douceurs du Marche at Marche Atwater also has an interesting collection of oils. Five Seasons in Outremont and Westmount have some fancy ones too.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I visited the store at Marche Jean-Talon, it's quaint. Can't go wrong with Milano and Berchicci either. Douceurs du Marche at Marche Atwater also has an interesting collection of oils. Five Seasons in Outremont and Westmount have some fancy ones too.

So these places have premium oil I gather? Comparable prices? I have to taste some to see if they are close to what my friends produce and yet sell for just over 2 Euros a Kilo.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I buy my oil at Berchicci, from their dispensers. You can sample them as you know, they provide bread for you to dip.

It’s good value for the price. And you can save a little if you bring back your bottle for a refill.

Reactions: groovejuice

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Most places in Greece are good for food and wine,lousy for fishing though! Was a lot better before the Olympics and converting to the Euro,like many nations. Haven't been to Rodos since the 80's,will be back maybe next year possibly. Usually great weather between April and October,a little hot and no rain,but ideal for the water.
Are you suggesting that the Mediterranean is “poor” fishing?

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal

I've never fished in Greece but I'm assuming stocks are depleting there too. Last time I was in Greece a few years ago the local fisherman at the port was complaining he doesn't catch anything anymore (I'm sure he's been saying that for 30 years but that's a different story...lol). All he had were some little Red fish Koutsomoura (red mullet type fish) which is exactly what I wanted and just out of the water.

Anyway, I saw a bunch of fish farms in the area I was staying at so I guess fish farming is big even in Greece. All the "Mediterranean Sea Bass and Sea Bream" you see at your local fish monger that are in the $20/kg price point are all farmed, I don't believe any of them around here bother to mention that they are farmed. The price of wild fish has gone through the roof.

Reactions: angusyoung

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Will certainly check this out when possible. Looks like strictly Spanish oil,but warrants a look in to it. 30$ for 500 ml? ouch! Gonna have to have a conversation with a few friends about this for sure! Sounding like it has rather lucrative possibilities.

I didn't say I buy from there. LOL
Just suggested it for tasting purposes.
I have family that brings over oil for us from Greece so I've never paid for EVOO in my life. Plus I know someone who sells their oil in these types of stores. This store shouldn't be exclusive to Spanish oils, that might just be their online catalogue but maybe they've changed their business, I'll check it out when I'm there this weekend.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I didn't say I buy from there. LOL
Just suggested it for tasting purposes.
I have family that brings over oil for us from Greece so I've never paid for EVOO in my life. Plus I know someone who sells their oil in these types of stores. This store shouldn't be exclusive to Spanish oils, that might just be their online catalogue but maybe they've changed their business, I'll check it out when I'm there this weekend.

Was thinking someone has deep pockets! lol. So you might know how good that oil is in comparison to what you get from Greece. Just curious as I also get mine from friends in Greece at a much better rate than that store. That's why I get ideas.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

In comparison to other waters that I've fished,without a doubt. I do diving and from what I see down in any depth, there is not nearly as much as other places.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

And these places permit tasting?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've never fished in Greece but I'm assuming stocks are depleting there too. Last time I was in Greece a few years ago the local fisherman at the port was complaining he doesn't catch anything anymore (I'm sure he's been saying that for 30 years but that's a different story...lol). All he had were some little Red fish Koutsomoura (red mullet type fish) which is exactly what I wanted and just out of the water.

Anyway, I saw a bunch of fish farms in the area I was staying at so I guess fish farming is big even in Greece. All the "Mediterranean Sea Bass and Sea Bream" you see at your local fish monger that are in the $20/kg price point are all farmed, I don't believe any of them around here bother to mention that they are farmed. The price of wild fish has gone through the roof.

To be fair,a lot of the fishermen were not the hardest working. See a lot of fish farms near Pylos area. The fish in Greece are so overpriced when eating out. Better to stick with Chicken and pork and give that liver a work out! lol.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So these places have premium oil I gather? Comparable prices? I have to taste some to see if they are close to what my friends produce and yet sell for just over 2 Euros a Kilo.

They definitely have some good oils from across Europe, some from Greece, some from Italy, some from Spain, occasional from France as well. Milano and Berchicci are full on Italian stores, the former being a grocery store and the other being a warehouse market. As Runner 77 states:

I buy my oil at Berchicci, from their dispensers. You can sample them as you know, they provide bread for you to dip.

It’s good value for the price. And you can save a little if you bring back your bottle for a refill.

I think that's your best option.

And these places permit tasting?

You should be able to get samples at Douceurs du Marche and Olive et Olives. Milano and 5 Seasons do have tastings on occasion, but I would not bet on them for that.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They definitely have some good oils from across Europe, some from Greece, some from Italy, some from Spain, occasional from France as well. Milano and Berchicci are full on Italian stores, the former being a grocery store and the other being a warehouse market. As Runner 77 states:

I think that's your best option.

You should be able to get samples at Douceurs du Marche and Olive et Olives. Milano and 5 Seasons do have tastings on occasion, but I would not bet on them for that.

It's more out of curiosity than anything else. I have my oil as it is,but seeing the exuberant prices of what they sell it for in some regions,crazy! Kind of considering some potential here.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My dude. Do yourself a favor and go to hodads for a burger in SD. Might be the best ones you ever have.
DONE!

It was great. The bacon is so good on it.

VSxuNEx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille