OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had the most succulent lamb chops the other night grilled on charcoal,to die for! They must be wizards on that grill! nice grill marks on the outside,pink and juicy on the inside,with fries that are top notch,fried in olive oil. Good Greek salad with top oil and some Tirokafteri to dip that great bread in.

Your cooking or you ate out?

Reactions: groovejuice

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm assuming the texture of the chicken was mushy. Fresh pineapple has an enzyme called Bromelain which tenderizes meat. If you try again, marinate with all the ingredients except the pineapple, and use that only for the last hour or so.

That will hopefully help your next attempt be successful

...Wow, I definitely learned something here :)

It's not something I can do with that sauce, and I already made a boatload. There's really A LOT of pineapple in it.

Next time I'll just brine the chicken along with some of other flavours (lime, ginger, garlic and chilies -- I'll figure something out) and marinate the thing for something like 20 minutes, and add further marinade/sauce while cooking the chicken.

Anticipate the follow up to see if it was at room temperature or not.

Come on, it's not my first rodeo :)

I assumed it was refrigerated. Raw meat shouldn't be marinated at room temp. for more than an hour or so.

Always marinate in the fridge, but I tend to take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before starting to cook.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
8 hours in a pineapple marinade is far too long. I did the same thing myself many years ago (only 3 hours) and the pork had a horribly soft texture.

That's quick. Defiantly strong enzymes in pineapple but that is scary fast. Too soft for a hot wok stir fry even?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
...Wow, I definitely learned something here :)

It's not something I can do with that sauce, and I already made a boatload. There's really A LOT of pineapple in it.

Next time I'll just brine the chicken along with some of other flavours (lime, ginger, garlic and chilies -- I'll figure something out) and marinate the thing for something like 20 minutes, and add further marinade/sauce while cooking the chicken.

Come on, it's not my first rodeo :)

Always marinate in the fridge, but I tend to take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before starting to cook.

Maybe use those pineapple based ingredients as a glaze while you're grilling the meat after brining.

Obviously, cut down on the liquid and up the flavour components. Also add some brown sugar to assure good carmelization.

Reactions: angusyoung

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are there any foods you absolutely despised as a kid, but you now love?

I used to get disgusted by olives. I totally love them now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whole boiled carrots and boiled onions. Still hate them both unless the boiled carrots are puréed and the boiled onions thin-sliced in a soup.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Must have missed the posts prior to the one I answered. Did not know you meant traveling in Greece, my apologies.

No need for that,so easy to get all discombobulated here. lol. Not usually a fan of lamb,but the timing must have been right,could have been the vats of wine?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Next weekend I'll be flying out to San Diego with a friend for five days. 95% of the reason for the trip is beer and tacos. Can't wait!

If you the time,take an overnight trip to Ensanada for some cheap deep sea fishing,plenty of tequila and cheap senoritas, arribay!

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My dude. Do yourself a favor and go to hodads for a burger in SD. Might be the best ones you ever have.

Tempting! gonna have to keep it in mind if ever back to that neck of the woods. I recall Conde Naste mentioning a burger joint in Oahu back in the day,was good,but being Oahu,overpriced. The shrimp
trucks however were great.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Tempting! gonna have to keep it in mind if ever back to that neck of the woods. I recall Conde Naste mentioning a burger joint in Oahu back in the day,was good,but being Oahu,overpriced. The shrimp
trucks however were great.

I was there in 2012 working the comic con, never has a food item tempted me to cross the continent so much. I had done a ton of research on restaurants and set up a really cool resto itinerary, but then completely scrapped it once we tried hodads on day 2, and then just kept eating there until day 5 when we left. Life changing burgers IMO and our entire party agreed.

If you end up wanting breakfast fare, hash-a-gogo was also really good, and my principal introduction to American portion sizes. :eek:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I was there in 2012 working the comic con, never has a food item tempted me to cross the continent so much. I had done a ton of research on restaurants and set up a really cool resto itinerary, but then completely scrapped it once we tried hodads on day 2, and then just kept eating there until day 5 when we left. Life changing burgers IMO and our entire party agreed.

If you end up wanting breakfast fare, hash-a-gogo was also really good, and my principal introduction to American portion sizes. :eek:
Hodads is 7 minutes from my AirBNB. Plus multiple locations at the ballpark. Added to my itinerary!

Reactions: overlords

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hodads is 7 minutes from my AirBNB. Plus multiple locations at the ballpark. Added to my itinerary!

My one and only experience with AirBNB was a very positive one.

Having seen how some of their property clients have not been excluded for racism, I regettably will look elsewhere for rentals.

It's an unfortunate reality today that I absolutely will not endorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad