OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Must have been repugnant.Curious as to the origin of that oil. I've had Retsina and was not a fan of that pine flavor. Wonder if there was a cross contamination during the process somehow.

So good dipping bread in the oil. Every meal that has a Greek salad, dip away!.

Retsina is a definitely an acquired taste. I really enjoy it now, but it took several attempts to appreciate that resiny taste.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Retsina is a definitely an acquired taste. I really enjoy it now, but it took several attempts to appreciate that resiny taste.

Perhaps,as are many things I suppose. I've only had Retsina in Greece,had no idea it was available elsewhere , was expecting wine actually,so it takes me by surprise when something unexpected ends up in my glass. Got in to Ouzo and Tsipouro easily though.

As for some food that I still can taste ions later is Kokoretsi,talk about an acquired taste. lol. Not for me.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Back to NL for a sec,but try Advocaat and Schevispeckl,not to mention the Genever.

The NL is no place to give up vices. lol.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Back to NL for a sec,but try Advocaat and Schevispeckl,not to mention the Genever.

The NL is no place to give up vices. lol.

I love Genever, especially the "young" version. The "old" one tastes a little too close to Aquavit for me.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I love Genever, especially the "young" version. The "old" one tastes a little too close to Aquavit for me.

As do I. When I saw what they charge in Canada for Bols I was so surprised. Never had or heard of Aquavit. NL has some nice tasting rooms for a variety of things.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
A very tasty vegan dish. Eggplant fried in olive oil with tomatoes and garlic sprinkled with feta. Had it the other night at this place down the street,one of my favs to dine at. Easy to make if inclined to do so.

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
Instead of feta, try sprinkling some sumac. Add fried cauliflower with a touch of salt (since sumac can come off a bit salty some times) in a pita bread and you have yourself one hell of a sandwich.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
As do I. When I saw what they charge in Canada for Bols I was so surprised. Never had or heard of Aquavit. NL has some nice tasting rooms for a variety of things.

Aquavit is a Danish schnapps flavoured with caraway. It's nice with Danish food, but not something I'd party with.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Instead of feta, try sprinkling some sumac. Add fried cauliflower with a touch of salt (since sumac can come off a bit salty some times) in a pita bread and you have yourself one hell of a sandwich.

Sounds pretty good. Never tried making a sandwich with what ever they call this eggplant dish. But the suggestion you mentioned sounds like it would be great even without a pita. Gonna have to give it a go.

I do use a fair amount of Sumac when I marinade my meat.... that sounds terrible while I type this. lol. but when making Shish Taouk

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Even that is no guarantee. I've bought expensive EVOO that was bitter and redolent of pine tar. I've also happened to discover olive oils so damn good that all I wanted to do was dip crusty bread in them.
Yup, meant to say that you even have to weed out the crap expensive bottles as well. Go to a good specialty shop that will let you taste a sampling of their products.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yup, meant to say that you even have to weed out the crap expensive bottles as well. Go to a good specialty shop that will let you taste a sampling of their products.

I've never seen that, outside of tasting wines at a winery or cheeses at a cheese shop. It would be awesome though.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Any recommendations? been to a many tastings but never with oil. Very intrigued though,want to see how my friends oil rates.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Had the most succulent lamb chops the other night grilled on charcoal,to die for! They must be wizards on that grill! nice grill marks on the outside,pink and juicy on the inside,with fries that are top notch,fried in olive oil. Good Greek salad with top oil and some Tirokafteri to dip that great bread in.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
- I've had some Quebec Aquavit lately. Unaged. I definitely prefered Aged Aquavit. Aged Aquavit fells like something between Gin and Whiskey. Unaged Aquavit feels like a different take on the Gin.

- There are definitely good OO from California.

- Rainier Cherries were on sale in IGA's for the last month or so and I think I've ate about 10 kilos.

- Also, can anyone tell me why my attempts at Housemade Huli-Huli Marinade ended up completely destroying the chicken? The marinade ended up pureeing (for a lack of a better word) something like 2.5mm of the pieces and made the whole thing utterly unappealing and gross. The chicken did spend something like 8 hours in the pineapple-heavy marinade, which is usually not an issue but might be too much with this one.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
- I've had some Quebec Aquavit lately. Unaged. I definitely prefered Aged Aquavit. Aged Aquavit fells like something between Gin and Whiskey. Unaged Aquavit feels like a different take on the Gin.

- Rainier Cherries were on sale in IGA's for the last month or so and I think I've ate about 10 kilos.

- Also, can anyone tell me why my attempts at Housemade Huli-Huli Marinade ended up completely destroying the chicken? The marinade ended up pureeing (for a lack of a better word) something like 2.5mm of the pieces and made the whole thing utterly unappealing and gross. The chicken did spend something like 8 hours in the pineapple-heavy marinade, which is usually not an issue but might be too much with this one.

Had no idea it was available in Quebec,at the SAQ? Cheaper than Bols?

Considering California has a similar climate to the Med, guess some OO would be produced. Not sure which is cheaper though if wanting top oil.

What the heck was in that marinade? was the meat marinated in the refrigerator?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Had no idea it was available in Quebec,at the SAQ? Cheaper than Bols?

Considering California has a similar climate to the Med, guess some OO would be produced. Not sure which is cheaper though if wanting top oil.

What the heck was in that marinade? was the meat marinated in the refrigerator?

I've had Aalborg Taffel and Aalbord Jubileums (spelling). And Linie. At LCBO.

There's at least one distiller who makes Akvavit in Quebec. Sivo Valkyrie Aquavit | SAQ.com

I smashed the bottle before having some, but I did soak Oak Chips with the Stuff for Homebrewing purposes. So I have an Aquavit Saison now. I think it would've been better with a Sour Saison.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I'm assuming the texture of the chicken was mushy. Fresh pineapple has an enzyme called Bromelain which tenderizes meat. If you try again, marinate with all the ingredients except the pineapple, and use that only for the last hour or so.

That will hopefully help your next attempt be successful

Reactions: MXD and angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm assuming the texture of the chicken was mushy. Fresh pineapple has an enzyme called Bromelain which tenderizes meat. If you try again, marinate with all the ingredients except the pineapple, and use that only for the last hour or so.

That will hopefully help your next attempt be successful

Anticipate the follow up to see if it was at room temperature or not.

Reactions: MXD and groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland