OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Got offered some just freshly caught calamari and we went for it,super! Uncooked but done just right. Had to inquire how they prepped it,and will go hunting for some now, now that I know how they do it.
Have to add they did a great flambe saganaki done with I believe Metaxa,not sure,but flambe saganaki is never disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Got offered some just freshly caught calamari and we went for it,super! Uncooked but done just right. Had to inquire how they prepped it,and will go hunting for some now, now that I know how they do it.
Have to add they did a great flambe saganaki done with I believe Metaxa,not sure,but flambe saganaki is never disappointing.

I agree. I've had very few Greek meals that didn't start with saganaki. Delicious every time!

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I agree. I've had very few Greek meals that didn't start with saganaki. Delicious every time!

It might be me,but anything flambed always seems to be an experience in gastronomy. Banana Foster has to be one of the great desserts.

Metaxa on its own,especially 5 star plus is always nice.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
3C6ED621-F028-487A-B611-F85494DB5887.jpeg

Canned pickles from Israel? Had to get them! Wish me luck!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
They taste like crap. Metallic pickled taste with a hint of fish? No idea, but I’d eat them if there were no other pickle options. Just my opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looks a little claustrophobic if you ask me.

Pretty much have your burger and leave. And hope none of those dingy surroundings end up as extra condiments on your plate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had a bit of time and made some of this for the crew,never a bad time to eat some of this.

2018_07_06_greek_stuffed_peppers_6.jpg

You can also substitute the meat or put less of it by using a mix of quinoa, assorted minced veggies, bread crumbs and mozzarella.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Pretty much have your burger and leave. And hope none of those dingy surroundings end up as extra condiments on your plate.

Is it that bad that part of town? So guessing it's not a place to linger,right? No liquor license?

Not a fan of " foreign" objects in my swill. lol.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You can also substitute the meat or put less of it by using a mix of quinoa, assorted minced veggies, bread crumbs and mozzarella.

Ya I suppose so,good alternative to meat. Just out of habit,make Yemista the way I learned it and the way I get it when in Hellas.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is it that bad that part of town? So guessing it's not a place to linger,right? No liquor license?

Not a fan of " foreign" objects in my swill. lol.

Not a bad part of town, it's Old Montreal. There are a lot of restaurants in that area that favor that kind of grungy look.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ya I suppose so,good alternative to meat. Just out of habit,make Yemista the way I learned it and the way I get it when in Hellas.

It works. You can still use meat but less of it. For some people, it's more palatable.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It works. You can still use meat but less of it. For some people, it's more palatable.

Never tried it that way but am curious to the ratio. Certainly a healthier procedure,but the familiar taste and flavor is hard for me to be swayed from. Not even sure I can get quinoa where I'm situated at times,let alone know how to call it in the local tongue.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Never tried it that way but am curious to the ratio. Certainly a healthier procedure,but the familiar taste and flavor is hard for me to be swayed from. Not even sure I can get quinoa where I'm situated at times,let alone know how to call it in the local tongue.

Might be easier to try when you’re back in Canada.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Went for some fish and had some cod,bacaloa,and man,what they charge for fish is nuts! At least it comes with frits and some salad and they made a good kafteri.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That looks fantastic! Could go for some of that now actually. Curious as to the prep of the kimchi daikon

It's made like regular kimchi. Rubbed with ground hot chile (usually in a paste) and a bit of salt and sometimes scallions. Left in a sealed bucket for a couple of days before being refrigerated.

Daikon itself develops a strong flavour when pickled or fermented. It's really delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad