OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's made like regular kimchi. Rubbed with ground hot chile (usually in a paste) and a bit of salt and sometimes scallions. Left in a sealed bucket for a couple of days before being refrigerated.

Daikon itself develops a strong flavour when pickled or fermented. It's really delicious.

Appreciate that,thanks!. Was curious if it was paste or from scratch and fermented or used immediately. So the daikon is tossed with the kimchi and then let to ferment for a few days before being refrigerated?

It's a shame daikon is not more popular in NA than it is. It was a huge eye opener when Okaasan showed me her fields, impressive! can grow all year long.

Reactions: groovejuice

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Congrats, second country after Uruguay I believe.

:clap:

I was in Uruguay last fall, they were talking about Canada being the second country legalizing it. It was weird being there the day it happened it was a hot topic over there. There was a mix of pride (leading the way) and also a small, healthy dose of doubt. I don't think I heard anyone saying it shouldn't be legal, but there were some discussions about accessibility and possible regulations. Very special country.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Appreciate that,thanks!. Was curious if it was paste or from scratch and fermented or used immediately. So the daikon is tossed with the kimchi and then let to ferment for a few days before being refrigerated?

It's a shame daikon is not more popular in NA than it is. It was a huge eye opener when Okaasan showed me her fields, impressive! can grow all year long.

Kimchi is a just the style, think of stew. Chicken, beef, lamb... Classic kimchi is made with Napa cabbage.

Other vegetables like daikon and other radishes, scallions, mustard leaf are all prepared the same way. The flavors are somewhat similar, but each is unique due to texture and their own individual nuances.

Reactions: angusyoung

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Kimchi is a just the style, think of stew. Chicken, beef, lamb... Classic kimchi is made with Napa cabbage.

Other vegetables like daikon and other radishes, scallions, mustard leaf are all prepared the same way. The flavors are somewhat similar, but each is unique due to texture and their own individual nuances.
I LOVE KIMCHI! Lol. I have a Korean Aunt

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was in Uruguay last fall, they were talking about Canada being the second country legalizing it. It was weird being there the day it happened it was a hot topic over there. There was a mix of pride (leading the way) and also a small, healthy dose of doubt. I don't think I heard anyone saying it shouldn't be legal, but there were some discussions about accessibility and possible regulations. Very special country.

Curious what is legal in this thread,my bad if I missed something.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Curious what is legal in this thread,my bad if I missed something.

We're currently talking mostly about food, but originally alcohol was the popular topic. I assume that anything legal would be fair game.

However, since some things are legal in one country or state doesn't make it so in others. Perhaps check with a Mod, before posting about bud.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I used to think Montreal was a great foodie place even till my last trip a month ago but I was disappointed this time around.
Other than my obvious sweet spots, I wasn't wowed by any place. Some good food but you know...meh...
My lebanese food was great because we don't have any good stuff in asia, and the poutine of course, but outside of it...wasn't particularly impressed.
Even Mythos let me down a bit. Wasn't as great as I remembered it.
Veuve Chalet was a cute spot, food was alright.
La Habanera really disappointed me with their Cubano sandwich. That was such a let down.
Grumman 78...love the spot, but again, food disappointed me a bit.

Kinda happy to be back in Asia where some food still blows my mind.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We're currently talking mostly about food, but originally alcohol was the popular topic. I assume that anything legal would be fair game.

However, since some things are legal in one country or state doesn't make it so in others. Perhaps check with a Mod, before posting about bud.

I see, and alcohol was permitted to be discussed? Mods should clarify matters somewhat considering there are many dry communities and counties where alcohol is forbidden,just saying.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I used to think Montreal was a great foodie place even till my last trip a month ago but I was disappointed this time around.
Other than my obvious sweet spots, I wasn't wowed by any place. Some good food but you know...meh...
My lebanese food was great because we don't have any good stuff in asia, and the poutine of course, but outside of it...wasn't particularly impressed.
Even Mythos let me down a bit. Wasn't as great as I remembered it.
Veuve Chalet was a cute spot, food was alright.
La Habanera really disappointed me with their Cubano sandwich. That was such a let down.
Grumman 78...love the spot, but again, food disappointed me a bit.

Kinda happy to be back in Asia where some food still blows my mind.

I think a lot depends on where one is coming from. Montreal was renowned for food back years ago,but other places in NA have caught up. Always found that after being abroad and then back in Montreal,food lacks flavor and freshness.
La Louisianne hasn't disappointed yet,if Cajun/Creole is to ones liking.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I see, and alcohol was permitted to be discussed? Mods should clarify matters somewhat considering there are many dry communities and counties where alcohol is forbidden,just saying.

I think alcohol is so mainstream and widely accepted that its a no brainer.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
21628C25-A2C6-4473-AB97-5F7160E62E7D.jpeg
Mwahahaahahhaaaa!

Attachments

• 69F89009-25C5-4F00-945E-199EA7CBF2A7.jpeg
    69F89009-25C5-4F00-945E-199EA7CBF2A7.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 6

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Nursed my tomato plant back to health and knucklehead did this...

Attachments

• 7A21FA69-316B-42DC-9B4C-AAC79018F545.jpeg
    7A21FA69-316B-42DC-9B4C-AAC79018F545.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 3

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not a bad part of town, it's Old Montreal. There are a lot of restaurants in that area that favor that kind of grungy look.

Is it grungy? looks fine,but a short visit,not a place to linger form what I understand. Love going to old Montreal! certainly a preferred favorite when in town and doing some PR.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is it grungy? looks fine,but a short visit,not a place to linger form what I understand. Love going to old Montreal! certainly a preferred favorite when in town and doing some PR.

Looks like a place for a quick bite and you're out. Too much of a hole to be hanging around in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No first hand experience yet? So designed for more locals that tourists? or tourists on a budget?

There are probably a ton of these kinds of places, so not surprised we don't have a review from anyone that posts here. I'm sure another one of these joints opened as I was typing this. :laugh:

Last edited:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Jalapenos and scotch bonnets from my garden are just magical. So good.

What are your favorite homemade sauces?

I've been making a bbq sauce for ribs that is great. Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, palm sugar, oyster sauce, fresh orange juice and zest, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil and thai chile to taste.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There are probably a ton of these kinds of places, so not surprised. I'm sure another one opened as I was typing this. :laugh:

Haven't really visited a lot of the establishments in old Montreal,but the ones that have been,were outrageously overpriced.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What a prick,why? I have to deal with asps on occasion,but at least they don't ruin the crop.

The in laws Korean correct? so let them dole out the punishment. lol.
I've been making a bbq sauce for ribs that is great. Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, palm sugar, oyster sauce, fresh orange juice and zest, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil and thai chile to taste.
Put some red pepper flake in it!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How'd you come up with it? Also, isn't it a balancing act in terms of quantities?

Just for practicality, I'd prefer putting together a dry rub since you can produce a ton of it in advance and store it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Haven't really visited a lot of the establishments in old Montreal,but the ones that have been,were outrageously overpriced.

I haven't been in Old Montreal in quite some time. The places you're referring to sound like tourist traps.

So much affordable food in Montreal, if you know where to find it. Maybe when you're a tourist, you settle for what is readily at hand.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Care to share the recipe,sounds great! And how are the ribs prepared with this method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->