OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sounds pretty good. Curious of your impression of Halong Bay.
Only did the one night cruise. Was very pretty, but after a certain point, you just see mountain and then....another one...and another....all the same.
Cruise ship was nice...kayaked and swam around that was nice. Water was very warm.
Meant to visit a cave but the tide was too low so the boats couldn't cross over.

Not sure I'd do it again though, was fun and romantic with my girl, but am much more of a city boy.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Only did the one night cruise. Was very pretty, but after a certain point, you just see mountain and then....another one...and another....all the same.
Cruise ship was nice...kayaked and swam around that was nice. Water was very warm.
Meant to visit a cave but the tide was too low so the boats couldn't cross over.

Not sure I'd do it again though, was fun and romantic with my girl, but am much more of a city boy.

That's a warm body of water always,kind of like the Gulf of Mexico. Just was curious as well as if mis -leading representation as heard that actual image of Holong Bay is over populated with boats. Does sound nice and romantic though.

So no interest to go to the Sundarbans then? A bit boring being on tiger watch and never seeing one. But small boat with good food.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Traditional Indian food is really healthful with the big exception of the huge amount of ghee used in so many classic dishes, even otherwise vegetarian ones.

I usually substitute olive oil for at least half of the ghee (and bump up the spice), and typically never use it in more than a single dish.

None of my business,but you prefer making healthy dishes over traditional ones?

Love olive oil, use boats loads of it,first press,that's what my friends produce and export. When we go out and eat in Greece,they rate the oil over everything. Years ago we got vegetable oil on a Greek salad,we still laugh about it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
None of my business,but you prefer making healthy dishes over traditional ones?

Love olive oil, use boats loads of it,first press,that's what my friends produce and export. When we go out and eat in Greece,they rate the oil over everything. Years ago we got vegetable oil on a Greek salad,we still laugh about it.

I often cook with only healthful ingredients, but just as often with whatever I'm craving. My weight is stable and my health is outstanding for my age, so I feel free to do so.

I love olive oil and use it more than other kitchen fats. But I also use butter, coconut oil and duck fat depending on what I'm making.

Reactions: angusyoung

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You sure know your food! Not a lot of people are familiar with either.

That's how I learned to make bibimbap,crisp rice.

My former mother in law was Dutch, so she cooked a lot of Indonesian food since it was once a Dutch colony, and it is a greatly superior cuisine than rustic Dutch food. Very much the same thing as England with Indian food.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I often cook with only healthful ingredients, but just as often with whatever I'm craving. My weight is stable and my health is outstanding for my age, so I feel free to do so.

I love olive oil and use it more than other kitchen fats. But I also use butter, coconut oil and duck fat depending on what I'm making.

One does need to be mindful of what is consumed. Glad to know that health is not an issue for you.

Again,none of my business about age or anything,just nice to know there are self conscious people out there. I prefer to eat as I like and to keep up a healthy regime in other ways that permit me to do so.

I've seen a few dishes I'd like to,prepare with duck fat,but as of yet have not tried. Perhaps from duck trauma as a youth?. lol

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
:laugh: If you don't use duck fat for anything else, use it to fry potatoes. It's extraordinarily delicious, especially if you cook some onion in the fat first.

Last edited:

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My former mother in law was Dutch, so she cooked a lot of Indonesian food since it was once a Dutch colony, and it is a greatly superior cuisine than rustic Dutch food. Very much the same thing as England with Indian food.

Hopefully you got a chance to visit the Netherlands. Indonesian food all over the place. Used to get shark fin soup in the day but don't see it anymore. I'm from there and there is a lot of good food beside Indonesian. But the Indonesian really set it apart form some other European nations. Ya,the rustic Dutch food is plain,more or less,hearty though!. Baked goods are some of my best memories.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hopefully you got a chance to visit the Netherlands. Indonesian food all over the place. Used to get shark fin soup in the day but don't see it anymore. I'm from there and there is a lot of good food beside Indonesian. But the Indonesian really set it apart form some other European nations. Ya,the rustic Dutch food is plain,more or less,hearty though!. Baked goods are some of my best memories.

My mother in law used to make a braised pork roast with nasi goreng (with fried egg) and endive as the vegetable. It was always a tremendous meal.

I plan to visit the Netherlands one day. My ex was from Utrecht.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My mother in law used to make a braised pork roast with nasi goreng (with fried egg) and endive as the vegetable. It was always a tremendous meal.

I plan to visit the Netherlands one day. My ex was from Utrecht.

Endive eh? that jumps out at me. A Dutch staple along with spouts. I recall a lot of pork over the years from home and my relatives as well as smoked eel. Not sure but I think you have to use egg in nasi goreng.

It's a pretty and safe place to travel and most speak English well. Always difficult to know when to visit as the weather is so not predictable. From Utrecht? my pa is from there.

Got to try poffertjies and strop waffles.

Dec-8.jpg

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Endive eh? that jumps out at me. A Dutch staple along with spouts. I recall a lot of pork over the years from home and my relatives as well as smoked eel. Not sure but I think you have to use egg in nasi goreng.

It's a pretty and safe place to travel and most speak English well. Always difficult to know when to visit as the weather is so not predictable. From Utrecht? my pa is from there.

Got to try poffertjies and strop waffles.

Dec-8.jpg

Nice! Yeah, I think the spiegelei is a standard addition to the nasi.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Probably,it's in a lot of Asian food in various ways.

I also had the Dutch version of herring, which is a thousand times better than the awful vinegar saturated product we find here in Canada.

Not to mention the croquettes and apple balla. Well aged Gouda may be as good as any cheese I've ever eaten.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Speaking of health, wtf is up with adds at the bottom of the forum? I’m scared to look at them! Last time I did? A sore ankle leads to stroke!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Speaking of health, wtf is up with adds at the bottom of the forum? I’m scared to look at them! Last time I did? A sore ankle leads to stroke!

I assume you're on a phone, which is considerably worse than a computer for the ads.

It's a free service to post here, so the ads are inevitable, I'm afraid.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I assume you're on a phone, which is considerably worse than a computer for the ads.

It's a free service to post here, so the ads are inevitable, I'm afraid.
I know, but? How about some adds selling lawnmowers or paint.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I also had the Dutch version of herring, which is a thousand times better than the awful vinegar saturated product we find here in Canada.

Not to mention the croquettes and apple balla. Well aged Gouda may be as good as any cheese I've ever eaten.

Ton's of great cheese. All depending on preference,but if you ever get a chance to get your hands on Reypenaer, especially if you like aged.The crystals in it explode with flavor.

Never had the herring in Canada in the way the Dutch do it.I do it usually in the Netherlands when I'm playing guide.

The croquettes are famous,snack food at the Febo outlets all over. The apple flapen and oli bollen are found more around X-mas and new years.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad