OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Ton's of great cheese. All depending on preference,but if you ever get a chance to get your hands on Reypenaer, especially if you like aged.The crystals in it explode with flavor.

Never had the herring in Canada in the way the Dutch do it.I do it usually in the Netherlands when I'm playing guide.

The croquettes are famous,snack food at the Febo outlets all over. The apple flapen and oli bollen are found more around X-mas and new years.

Yes. With the exception of the cheese, typically we have the others during the holiday season.

I'm not sure where my in-laws got the herring, but assume it was from one of the local Dutch delis.

I haven't tried the Reypenaer, but I'll look for it now! Thank you @angusyoung!

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes. With the exception of the cheese, typically we have the others during the holiday season.

I'm not sure where my in-laws got the herring, but assume it was from one of the local Dutch delis.

I haven't tried the Reypenaer, but I'll look for it now! Thank you @angusyoung!

First time I tried the Repenaer I was sold. They don't give it away though. Wal mart used to, have 18 month Beemster,also very tasty and much more reasonable.

My pleasure,you're welcome. Being a cheese lover, been spoiled.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I've been watching a new food show on Netflix called The Chef Show. Starring Jon Favreau and Roy Chen, there's a lot of cooking being done and these guys are laid back and often quite funny. Recommended if you don't need a recipe to reproduce the featured dishes.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've been watching a new food show on Netflix called The Chef Show. Starring Jon Favreau and Roy Chen, there's a lot of cooking being done and these guys are laid back and often quite funny. Recommended if you don't need a recipe to reproduce the featured dishes.
I've binged it when it first came out. Loved it.. also loved that movie so was awesome seeing them talk about the recipes.
I did the scarlet pasta a few times..it is pretty good.
Would love to try their Cubano..my favorite sandwich, but tough to get it done here.

As for the cheese..anybody tried Kashlaval cheese? Has to be my favorite.
Pita bread...kashkaval..black kalamata..stick it in over, best grilled sandwich.

Reactions: groovejuice

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A very tasty vegan dish. Eggplant fried in olive oil with tomatoes and garlic sprinkled with feta. Had it the other night at this place down the street,one of my favs to dine at. Easy to make if inclined to do so.

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've binged it when it first came out. Loved it.. also loved that movie so was awesome seeing them talk about the recipes.
I did the scarlet pasta a few times..it is pretty good.
Would love to try their Cubano..my favorite sandwich, but tough to get it done here.

As for the cheese..anybody tried Kashlaval cheese? Has to be my favorite.
Pita bread...kashkaval..black kalamata..stick it in over, best grilled sandwich.

If you like the Kashlaval cheese,strongly urge you to try at the least Old Amsterdam.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
None of my business,but you prefer making healthy dishes over traditional ones?

Love olive oil, use boats loads of it,first press,that's what my friends produce and export. When we go out and eat in Greece,they rate the oil over everything. Years ago we got vegetable oil on a Greek salad,we still laugh about it.

Yikes, vegetable oil? Off with their heads!!

Even a lot of the olive oil is crap, you need to pay for the good stuff. Too often I've had stuff in restaurants that tastes like banana. Ewww

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yikes, vegetable oil? Off with their heads!!

Even a lot of the olive oil is crap, you need to pay for the good stuff. Too often I've had stuff in restaurants that tastes like banana. Ewww

Unbelievable no? in Greece using vegetable oil, sacrilegious! lol

A lot of olive oil is blended and still marketed as 100% pure olive oil,when it's not. Have to get that first press,that's the true olive oil. The best place to get olive oil is the same place where Kalamata olives come from.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
The true Dutch oven is a necessity,as is the modern one .Put them in their place. lol.
My mom had an awesome cast iron dutch oven from the ‘50’s, it was awesome, manly to the max, hand hammered lid and sides. I assumed I was getting it when she passed on but my niece ended up with it. My mom made great beef short ribs and Boston Baked Beans in it.

Reactions: angusyoung

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
:laugh: If you don't use duck fat for anything else, use it to fry potatoes. It's extraordinarily delicious, especially if you cook some onion in the fat first.

Yup, its the secret behind Belgian fries. I once got into a big argument with a Belge when I told him we use Canola oil to fry potatoes here in North America. He couldn't believe it. It seemed like the worst thing you could do in the world to him.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Unbelievable no? in Greece using vegetable oil, sacrilegious! lol

A lot of olive oil is blended and still marketed as 100% pure olive oil,when it's not. Have to get that first press,that's the true olive oil. The best place to get olive oil is the same place where Kalamata olives come from.

Oh, not too worry, I have many connections to the good stuff from the homeland. :)

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm no connaseur about olive oil,just go by what my friends think. So I have to abide by their opinion that oil from Hellas is tops.

Olive oil is like wine - extremely high quality products can have many countries as their place of origin. Great oils come from Spain, North Africa and the Middle East, as well as the US.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Olive oil is like wine - extremely high quality products can have many countries as their place of origin. Great oils come from Spain, North Africa and the Middle East, as well as the US.

I have no idea,just listening to what my friends say, they tell me first press is the best. Many of them produce and export it to other nations and they dilute it with theirs and market it as their own. They also do the black Kalamata olives, which people say are the best,but not being a huge fan of that sort of thing,not really up to speed. Have not really noticed oil from those regions while browsing,predominantly from Italy,Spain and Greece.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have no idea,just listening to what my friends say, they tell me first press is the best. Many of them produce and export it to other nations and they dilute it with theirs and market it as their own. They also do the black Kalamata olives, which people say are the best,but not being a huge fan of that sort of thing,not really up to speed. Have not really noticed oil from those regions while browsing,predominantly from Italy,Spain and Greece.

Those are the most common countries (and USA) of origin for superior olive oil that one can easily find in Canada. Shopping in smaller ethnic stores can yield more uncommon ones.

Israel produces some fantastic EVOO, for example, but as expected, the comparitively low production makes it very hard to find.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Those are the most common countries (and USA) of origin for superior olive oil that one can easily find in Canada. Shopping in smaller ethnic stores can yield more uncommon ones.

Israel produces some fantastic EVOO, for example, but as expected, the comparitively low production makes it very hard to find.
I never heard of American Olive Oil. Are they gown locally or do they import them?

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Israel produces some fantastic EVOO, for example, but as expected, the comparitively low production makes it very hard to find.[/Q

I always considered that anything around the Med would produce similar oils seeing as similar climate,not withstanding first press etc.

Can only imagine seeing as Israel is so small,comparatively speaking that is. A few friends stayed there after their time on Kubbitz, and some of them cook for profession now. Never discussed oil when getting together now though.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
All these Mediterranean countries produce high quality EVOO, it's weeding out the garbage that's important. You need to pay for the good stuff, i.e. $20 for 500 ml.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
All these Mediterranean countries produce high quality EVOO, it's weeding out the garbage that's important. You need to pay for the good stuff, i.e. $20 for 500 ml.

Even that is no guarantee. I've bought expensive EVOO that was bitter and redolent of pine tar. I've also happened to discover olive oils so damn good that all I wanted to do was dip crusty bread in them.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Even that is no guarantee. I've bought expensive EVOO that was bitter and redolent of pine tar. I've also happened to discover olive oils so damn good that all I wanted to do was dip crusty bread in them.

Must have been repugnant.Curious as to the origin of that oil. I've had Retsina and was not a fan of that pine flavor. Wonder if there was a cross contamination during the process somehow.

So good dipping bread in the oil. Every meal that has a Greek salad, dip away!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad