OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overtime Period

OvertimePeriod
Jun 20, 2008
Montreal
Screenshot_20200824_093037.jpg

Salmon Gravlax mixed with red onions and chives mixed with a honey whole grain mustard sauce.
Served with yellow beets with the honey mustard sauce and taro chips garnished with
Radish pink microgreens...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824_093037.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824_093037.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
You are a man of my taste, love Bernaise, need to be really careful when making it though when you whisk in the butter and it tastes at least 100 times better than making it from a powder. Just because of that I will make Swedish pancakes today (also thanks to Runner who has been posting crepes pics in the GDTs), looks a bit like crepes but they are much more filling since I use a lot of cream as well. Will go perfect with the the Avs/Dallas game. Need to go out and get some cider though. First I need to do the batter, it's better if it sits a while.

Will post a picture.
Yeah, always make em from scratch.
As long as you know the 5 mother sauces of cuisine you can do almost all the other sauces(variants). One that I don't make often is espagnole elevated to demi glace(espagnole sauce+roux+brown stock+mirepoix).
I've made it before with many shortcuts for a fake which is not as tasty for sure.
Demi glace for me is the most intimidating sauce if not the hardest/time consuming(or one of)
Ever tasted a real traditional demi glace with a steak? It has to be the biggest bomb flavor ever.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, always make em from scratch.
As long as you know the 5 mother sauces of cuisine you can do almost all the other sauces(variants). One that I don't make often is espagnole elevated to demi glace(espagnole sauce+roux+brown stock+mirepoix).
I've made it before with many shortcuts for a fake which is not as tasty for sure.
Demi glace for me is the most intimidating sauce if not the hardest/time consuming(or one of)
Ever tasted a real traditional demi glace with a steak? It has to be the biggest bomb flavor ever.

I have not to my knowledge tasted demi glace. Sounds interesting. Do you have a gas stove? Right now I have one of those horrible spiral heater stove, the oven itself is about 30 degrees warmer compared to what the knob says. I have an infrared thermometer and I have tested it. Before when I lived in a house I had a gas stove and they are great.

Reactions: Holystik

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I have not to my knowledge tasted demi glace. Sounds interesting. Do you have a gas stove? Right now I have one of those horrible spiral heater stove, the oven itself is about 30 degrees warmer compared to what the knob says. I have an infrared thermometer and I have tested it. Before when I lived in a house I had a gas stove and they are great.
I also had a gas stove and it was so much better than electric, especially the burners. It's on or it's off.

My best baking was done in an old kitchen wood stove. Best apple pie ever.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Not gaz but I do love my Samsung stove. It's a very nice 2019 model with 5 surfaces.
I wish I had a heat radar like you have. How much do those cost?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Small Dutch potatoes with Pacific code filet, Argentinian pink giant shrimps and scampi. Bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, cocktail onions (frozen), squeezed lime and dill twigs and a few peas. Took some creme fraiche whisked into the pan and the juices and made a butter creme fraiche sauce, fairly light..

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That food looks fantastic!
Yes, it might be overpriced, but it's what a vegetarian's and vegan's dreams are made of.

Flavourful, yet light. Their aged balsamic in the salad, in-house made sauces and breads. Basil is from their own garden in the backyard as are most mico greens Yum!

I went back there twice last week.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Weird thing happened last time making toum, it thickened without adding any egg-whites:huh:
Similar type of immersion blender,garlic,oil,salt,lemon juice,container. Moon effect? sea level as opposed to higher elevation? blitz it all together expecting it to be thin and then adding the egg,but upon pulling out,thick and creamy.:thumbu:Screw those people that post recipes on the net saying to slowly drizzle oil alternatively with lemon juice which should endure 30-45 minutes when it can be done in under 5 minutes,add another 60 seconds if requiring those egg whites.:rant:

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad