OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So I make my way down to Stowe a few times a year to lead up on Heady Topper and other Vermont IPAs. Yes I know HT has a lot of hype but it's legit my favorite beer and I just love it and look forward to the trip every time.

Now I have no idea when I'll be down there again, which sucks cause I have a place down there and I haven't even been able to check up on it post winter. But mostly cause I have no idea when I'll be able to taste the sweet nectar of Heady Topper again.

Anyone have some suggestions for beers that are similar here in QC? I have thus far not been able to find anything even remotely close.

Reactions: cphabs

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
So I make my way down to Stowe a few times a year to lead up on Heady Topper and other Vermont IPAs. Yes I know HT has a lot of hype but it's legit my favorite beer and I just love it and look forward to the trip every time.

Now I have no idea when I'll be down there again, which sucks cause I have a place down there and I haven't even been able to check up on it post winter. But mostly cause I have no idea when I'll be able to taste the sweet nectar of Heady Topper again.

Anyone have some suggestions for beers that are similar here in QC? I have thus far not been able to find anything even remotely close.

Basically none but my go to IPA is Moralité by Dieu du Ciel which was apparently originally a collab with John Kimmich of Heady Topper fame. In most grocery stores now and you can get it in cans.

This isn't exactly the classic NEIPA as it has some west coast character but it's a super solid IPA that you can normally get fresh so I would check it out.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Heineken may tide you over until things get back to normal. That’s about as hoppy as I get.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Still in the bowl.
cmg3Zyq.jpg

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Basically none but my go to IPA is Moralité by Dieu du Ciel which was apparently originally a collab with John Kimmich of Heady Topper fame. In most grocery stores now and you can get it in cans.

This isn't exactly the classic NEIPA as it has some west coast character but it's a super solid IPA that you can normally get fresh so I would check it out.
Was going to reply saying the same, but with much less detail. It's a great beer.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Made my version of vegan borscht for lunch today.

Ingredients include vegetable stock, lemon zest, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, cabbage, beets, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes.

I prefer mine on the hardier side (broth to veg ratio wise).

I like to garnish it with chopped parsley, dill, green onion and a dollop of vegan mayo (already mixed in on the picture hence the cloudiness of the broth and more orange-ish than deep red colour).

I eat the soup with a slice of toasted rye that has avocado crema (avocado puree and vegan sour cream) spread on it.

Makes for a very light and tasty lunch option.

IMG_0298.jpg

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Ingredients include vegetable stock, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, cabbage, beets, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes.

I like to garnish it with chopped parsley, dill, green onion and a dollop of vegan mayo (already mixed in on the picture hence the cloudiness of the broth and more orange-ish than deep red colour).

I eat the soup with a slice of toasted rye that has avocado crema (avocado puree and vegan sour cream) spread on it.

View attachment 351740

Haven't had borscht in a very long time. Looks very appetizing.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Haven't had borscht in a very long time. Looks very appetizing.
Perhaps you should try and make a version of it and see if you like it. Doesn't have to be vegan, you could use beef broth (home-made is the best, my veg stock was made in-house), caramelize the veg, dump it in a pot, season to taste and simmer until beets and potatoes soften up.

Easy peasy!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Ingredients include vegetable stock, lemon zest, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, cabbage, beets, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes.

View attachment 351740
Cabbage rules! Fantastic!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

View attachment 351740

Looks delicious! I make a very similar one but with smoked sausage or ham hocks, which of course isn't in your wheelhouse.

It's especially appreciated on snowy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad