OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have a combo air fryer/toaster oven/ convection oven. Saved me in the summer because if I would have used the regular oven the whole apartment gets warm. It's very fast as well and the fries I have tried so far have been pretty crispy.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA-65-AirFryer-toaster-oven-6/dp/B07MRG5F4J

I might add that if a recipe calls for 200 C degrees, 150 degrees is enough in the air fryer and time is approx 60% of the time it takes in a regular oven. I actually bought frozen fries from Trader Joe's and they were excellent after air frying them. Otherwise you peel potatoes, fry cut them and put them into ice water for an hour to get some of the starch out. Dry them and I use a little bit of cooking oil in the fryer.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Given the heatwave from today until middle of the coming week I made a gigantic Mexican mango ceviche , more like a punch bowl size. I also added papaya since it goes so well with lime (papaya w/o lime has very little flavor. add some lime or lemon and it turns into something really good). I use both Greenland shrimps (aka maritimes lobster shrimps) and scampi tails (2 lbs frozen from Costco).

Untitled.jpg

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Given the heatwave from today until middle of the coming week I made a gigantic Mexican mango ceviche , more like a punch bowl size. I also added papaya since it goes so well with lime (papaya w/o lime has very little flavor. add some lime or lemon and it turns into something really good). I use both Greenland shrimps (aka maritimes lobster shrimps) and scampi tails (2 lbs frozen from Costco).

View attachment 361489
Seems like a good and fresh meal for a hot day. Try next for for some zestiness and fresnesh, Tabouleh.
Healthy, tasty and light. Quite easy to do too, just make sure you buy a 7 spices arabic shaker.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

View attachment 361489

Looks delicious Per!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Seems like a good and fresh meal for a hot day. Try next for for some zestiness and fresnesh, Tabouleh. Healthy, tasty and light. Quite easy to do too, just make sure you buy a 7 spices arabic shaker.

Love Tabouleh. I always get that as a side order when I order kafta (ground sirloin), chicken or lamb kabob! Never made it though, but I will now!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's really nice. Good in falafel and hummus but also in numerous other dishes. The sumac adds a pleasant sourness.

Sour and salt. Love sumac, they grow everywhere. I remember we had sumac bushes when I was a kid, always thought they were poisonous though. Did not know then but when I worked at the Persian kabob restaurant back in 2000 I learned to eat it, same with strong black tea with cardamon! I still make Persian tea off an on, cardamom is such a wonderful spice.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
The art of spices combination elevates meals in such a tasty and elaborate way. Gotta give it to India and Arabic countries.

I am portuguese and we unproudly fought for that spice route. Combining spices by using a mortar and pestle is one of my favorite ways to surprise my guest with rich flavors.
Haha
I love cooking. Especialy for others. So tired of being single.
:laugh:

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sour and salt. Love sumac, they grow everywhere. I remember we had sumac bushes when I was a kid, always thought they were poisonous though. Did not know then but when I worked at the Persian kabob restaurant back in 2000 I learned to eat it, same with strong black tea with cardamon! I still make Persian tea off an on, cardamom is such a wonderful spice.

There are toxic and nontoxic varieties of sumac. It's used a great deal in Middle Eastern cooking.

I drink tea that's flavoured with cardamom also. It's my favorite spice and is incredibly versatile for sweet and savoury dishes.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The art of spices combination elevates meals in such a tasty and elaborate way. Gotta give it to India and Arabic countries.

I am portuguese and we unproudly fought for that spice route. Combining spices by using a mortar and pestle is one of my favorite ways to surprise my guest with rich flavors.
Haha
I love cooking. Especialy for others. So tired of being single.

Portuguese Portuguese or North American with Portuguese roots? Do you like Fado?

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Portuguese Portuguese or North American with Portuguese roots? Do you like Fado?
Both parents are portuguese. I was born in montreal but wasn't suposed to. My parents were in Canada for a temporary work contract and my mom was pregnant. Just before they were suposed to leave back to Portugal I poped out haha. She delivered while only on the 7th month. So they ended up staying for longer since I needed incubators. Once I grew strong enough, we flew back to Portugal and lived there for the next 7 years and Togo for 2 more.

After some thoughts my parents decided that Quebec city was a great choice for the business venture they wanted to start. And since I was born here well, I already had a passport, which also helped them. So we came back established here some 30 years ago.

And yeah, I don't like fado haha
I mean on a musical point of view I think it is special and filled with sadness. Almost a gothic vibe. But not for me.

Edit: My life story in a food thread, sorry to all the foodies in here. Lol

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Both parents are portuguese. I was born in montreal but wasn't suposed to. My parents were in Canada for a temporary work contract and my mom was pregnant. Just before they were suposed to leave back to Portugal I poped out haha. She delivered while only on the 7th month. So they ended up staying for longer since I needed incubators. Once I grew strong enough, we flew back to Portugal and lived there for the next 7 years and Togo for 2 more.

After some thoughts my parents decided that Quebec city was a great choice for the business venture they wanted to start. And since I was born here well, I already had a passport, which also helped them. So we came back established here some 30 years ago.

And yeah, I don't like fado haha
I mean on a musical point of view I think it is special and filled with sadness. Almost a gothic vibe. But not for me.

Edit: My life story in a food thread, sorry to all the foodies in here. Lol
Portuguese women are beautiful. Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad