OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Weird thing happened last time making toum, it thickened without adding any egg-whites:huh:
Similar type of immersion blender,garlic,oil,salt,lemon juice,container. Moon effect? sea level as opposed to higher elevation? blitz it all together expecting it to be thin and then adding the egg,but upon pulling out,thick and creamy.:thumbu:Screw those people that post recipes on the net saying to slowly drizzle oil alternatively with lemon juice which should endure 30-45 minutes when it can be done in under 5 minutes,add another 60 seconds if requiring those egg whites.:rant:

You're basically make aioli, which is yolks only. If you're hyper religious about the texture, it may make a difference, but I wouldn't sweat it myself. I like to use roasted garlic in aoili /toum and round out the flavor with a bit of dry mustard with a dry spice (coriander) or a fresh herb from time to time. Italian parsley is nice.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You're basically make aioli, which is yolks only. If you're hyper religious about the texture, it may make a difference, but I wouldn't sweat it myself. I like to use roasted garlic in aoili /toum and round out the flavor with a bit of dry mustard with a dry spice (coriander) or a fresh herb from time to time. Italian parsley is nice.

I was just rather amused at the whole thing more or less as the toum got thick when it never has before following the ''guidlines'' and shaved off a fair amount of minutes. I'll see what happens next time though before declaring this particular immersion blender a magic wand.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
How to make aioli :
1) Buy garlic
2) Crush garlic with some coarse salt in pestle and mortar
3) Slowly add some oil while continuing to crush
4) Don't add anything else
5) Eat
6) (Only when COVID is gone!) Breathe in everyone's face

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's the booze that really jacks the price up though. It's criminal what they can charge for simple beverages some times.
There will obviously always be an upcharge for eating out since the restaurants need to make money, pay their staff and such, but people also don't realize how easy most cocktails are to make. People always compliment me when I throw a few ingredients into a shaker and shake for 20 seconds as if it's difficult. Cocktail making is even easier than cooking for the most part.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There will obviously always be an upcharge for eating out since the restaurants need to make money, pay their staff and such, but people also don't realize how easy most cocktails are to make. People always compliment me when I throw a few ingredients into a shaker and shake for 20 seconds as if it's difficult. Cocktail making is even easier than cooking for the most part.

Ya,not too hard to make drinks with the right ingredients and tools.BTW was that you in the film with Thomas Cruise?:)

giphy.gif

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How to make aioli :
1) Buy garlic
2) Crush garlic with some coarse salt in pestle and mortar
3) Slowly add some oil while continuing to crush
4) Don't add anything else
5) Eat
6) (Only when COVID is gone!) Breathe in everyone's face

upload_2020-8-28_11-24-53.jpeg

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
For all of you carnivores and all those are love smoke perfuming their food:

I enjoyed this a lot..

Some legendary pit masters here.

I've been to Rodney Scott's BBQ (long before he became famous and perhaps the best pit master in the entire US) a long time ago and it was the best BBQ I've ever had.

This is "Chef's Table". What more could be said. It's a must-watch.

Last edited:

Overtime Period

OvertimePeriod
Jun 20, 2008
Montreal
Beef.jpg

Beef Filet Tataki
Filet Mignon seared and marinated sous vide
With a mixture of soy sauce, mirin, sambal oelek, green onions, fresh ginger. Served with marinated mushrooms in red wine vinegar and maple syrup, with a light mayonnaise with the a bit of the sauce of the filet mignon, garnished with fresh chives, fleur de sel...

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Had an IPA last night that's in the big leagues. TDH New England TIPA by the name of the Hopburglar, a collaboration between Brewskey and Emporium Microbrews. 10% ABV, hopped with Strata, Idaho 7, Cryo Idaha 7 and Rakau. I'll get some pictures from a can I brought home at a later date, but it's bursting with flavour.

Edit: Finally added the can + beer. Worth noting that my camera sucks, the color is a touch deeper than as seen here.

Attachments

• 20200908_150258 (2).jpg
    20200908_150258 (2).jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone fall for this?

Saw some reviews from Twitter users. One of them said that he prefers Wendy's chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad