OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So yesterday I sous vided ribs then breaded and fried them.

The concept wasn't bad but for anyone who would ever try this type of odd rib dish I recommend searing the ribs between sous vide and deep frying.

Some fat did not render and it dropped the quality a bit.

Yeah searing is often a very important step of sous vide to give a crust and render fat.

I don't do sous vide yet though, I just follow a sous vide cooking channel (Sous Vide Everything). New stuff every week and he always has all the ingredients/equipment for his stuff in the description. Also has a few guides as well.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah searing is often a very important step of sous vide to give a crust and render fat.

I don't do sous vide yet though, I just follow a sous vide cooking channel (Sous Vide Everything). New stuff every week and he always has all the ingredients/equipment for his stuff in the description. Also has a few guides as well.

Guga is the reason I bought a Sous vide machine.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Made more toum and needed egg-white to thicken,so made and another batch with fresher garlic and it thickened. Told it to the mrs and she got all science y on me and started up with the molecular structure and drawing charts and explaining hydrogenation yadyadyada:pullhair:at times I think she purposely goes out of her way being so anal.:rant:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

My parents got me a sous vide for my birthday this year, and I've hardly known what to do with it. I'll give the channel a follow.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Everything! :naughty:

Oooh-Myyy-George-Takei-Reaction-Gif.gif

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Everything! :naughty:
So far I've done steaks a few times, and have always been happy with it. Did pork once and it was great. Did fish and.. meh, it was good, but I could've just cooked it in a pan or on the grill for a few minutes and it would've been the same. It was salmon which is super forgiving if it's a little over or undercooked anyway.

The coolest thing I could think of that I did was a 65 degree egg (or whatever it's called). Just slowly cooked an egg and added it to ramen and it was really good.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So far I've done steaks a few times, and have always been happy with it. Did pork once and it was great. Did fish and.. meh, it was good, but I could've just cooked it in a pan or on the grill for a few minutes and it would've been the same. It was salmon which is super forgiving if it's a little over or undercooked anyway.

The coolest thing I could think of that I did was a 65 degree egg (or whatever it's called). Just slowly cooked an egg and added it to ramen and it was really good.

Ramen!

In this one, he didn't do sous vide eggs, but he did in other videos.

Also, instant ramen:

Reactions: Le Tricolore

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Smoked wild caught salmon pate, preserved duck and deer sausage.

Who from here is f***ing with me? :laugh:

P.S. I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm just vegan. There's literally nothing in there I could try. This is going to a food bank.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Eggs, pork, chicken, turkey, beef, bone marrow, fish, cheese, cheese sauce, yogurt, dessert, rabbit, lamb, lobster, meatloaf, crab...

Gotta tell ya,feel a little let down after seeing the ''naughty'' emoji used in conjunction with a sous vide device only to find out that it's more of the same. Was kind of curious as to what freakish out of the world type fetish could possibly be used involving a sous vide.:laugh:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I just did some Googling on sous-vide. Looks like a great way not to ruin food. How does chicken turn out?

How do you ruin food? I can only think of depending on the company you're having it with.:dunno:

What type of chicken dish you after? Chicken that has been in brine or marinade usually turns out great,tender,juicy.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

P.S. I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm just vegan. There's literally nothing in there I could try. This is going to a food bank.

Too funny! a close good friend of yours?
BTW,Santa is leaving his reindeer with you too.;)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How do you ruin food? I can only think of depending on the company you're having it with.:dunno:

What type of chicken dish you after? Chicken that has been in brine or marinade usually turns out great,tender,juicy.

You can overcook meat.

Sous vide is a great way to avoid that. It is also usually more tender due to the slower cooking process.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You can overcook meat.

Sous vide is a great way to avoid that. It is also usually more tender due to the slower cooking process.
That's usually how I ruin it, overcook.

I was thinking marinated chicken breast.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You can overcook meat.

Of course you can if you're inept.

Meat that has been sous vide usually requires direct contact heat to finish thereby giving the same inept person an opportunity to once again spoil and ruin food.

Cut out the time consuming sous vide and ruin it right away.:laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Plenty of people in here would love it. But, good on you for your altruist gesture.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Can you please share the source where you got the 8 year old cheese from in Quebec? What type of cheese was it?
Sorry for the delay. Getting busy at work. I happen to live near a gourmet cheese shop. Not sure exactly who makes the Quebec 8 year old cheddar. I’ll find out next time I’m there. It is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad