Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You should stock up on these:

chili_seeds_carolina_reaper.jpg

Carolina Reaper. No big deal, just around 1,600,000 on SHU scale. :sarcasm:

I've tried a few of those ridiculous peppers and sauces / extracts. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns. :laugh:

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
20200810_190157.jpg

Success!

Sweet potatoes mash with shallots, garlic, butter and fresh coriander. Boiled in half water, half chicken stock for extra taste

Garlic white wine reduction cream sauce.

12 hours marinated pork chop with minced garlic, thyme, paprika, star anise, coriander seeds, marjoram, dill, red pepper flakes, oinion powder, soja sauce and white wine. Seared in a ultra hot pan and finished for a few minutes in the oven.

It was delicious!!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That'll do in a pinch. Ouch, man it burns. :madfire:
That much heat is extremely dangerous and is not meant to be consumed by humans, outside of micro-dozes or when diluted. I've read of people administered to hospitals with various, sometimes serious symptoms (seizures) after consuming Carolina Reaper in large enough quantity (like one whole pepper).

The pepper itself does not occur in the nature and was artificially bred only to become the world's hottest pepper. It's a cross between some Caribbean pepper (can't recall its name) and the Pakistani Naga Viper (nasty stuff).

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
View attachment 359887
Success!

Sweet potatoes mash with shallots, garlic, butter and fresh coriander. Boiled in half water, half chicken stock for extra taste

12 hours marinated pork chop with minced garlic, thyme, paprika, star anise, coriander seeds, marjoram, dill, red pepper flakes, oinion powder, soja sauce and white wine. Seared in a ultra hot pan and finished for a few minutes in the oven.

It was delicious!!
Presentation is nice. I really need to up my presentation game. I tend to overcrowd my plates when trying to make something fancy looking (even if after taking pictures, I put more stuff in the plate). I need some black plates too, they're fantastic for contrast.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Reminds me of my cousin who didn't know what Wasabi was and put a big dollop on a chip or cracker. 10 minutes later he was on his way to the ER. :laugh:
Wasabi can definitely cause extreme discomfort and pain in your nasal passages, but the saving grace here is that the effect is not a long-lasting one.

With some of the world's spiciest chiles the heat keeps building up over time and gets more and more intense.

P.S. My step-dad ate a spoonful of Ghost peppers in New Delhi years ago by accident. He hasn't been the same since. His pores have been permanently open ever since.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
View attachment 359887
Success!

It was delicious!!

Nice job on the pork chop symmetry. The whole plate looks great!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Wasabi can definitely cause extreme discomfort and pain in your nasal passages, but the saving grace here is that the effect is not a long-lasting one.

With some of the world's spiciest chiles the heat keeps building up over time and gets more and more intense.

P.S. My step-dad ate a spoonful of Ghost peppers in New Delhi years ago by accident. He hasn't been the same since. His pores have been permanently open ever since.

That's a one-time mistake. I recall being at a restaurant in Cuba with a buffet, and they had bowls of various chiles. I grabbed a few and one was terrifying. It was some hybrid of a scotch bonnet and was deadly. :laugh:

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Presentation is nice. I really need to up my presentation game. I tend to overcrowd my plates when trying to make something fancy looking (even if after taking pictures, I put more stuff in the plate). I need some black plates too, they're fantastic for contrast.
Plating is the hardest part for me. I always have these plating visual ideas while I am cooking and the presentation rarely turns out pretty like I want. Like you said, for many years my biggest mistake was overcrowding. Also a cooking rule is anything of something you put in a plate as to be an odd number. Never even numbers. But again taste is king, I'm just a little to perfectionist and fail often with presentation and get disapointed. :laugh:

Edit: Also YES. Buy new plates with different colors to contrast with food/sauces you make. Makes a gigantic difference you are right!

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Reminds me of my cousin who didn't know what Wasabi was and put a big dollop on a chip or cracker. 10 minutes later he was on his way to the ER. :laugh:

Must have the imitation wasabi which is predominantly horseradish and rather the norm than authentic wasabi.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Went to my local Boustan yesterday to grab a vegan pita (a veg pita minus egg, garlic/tahini sauces of theirs) and found out that they debuted not only a vegan kebab, but a vegan garlic sauce as well.

The "kebab" is shiitake-based. The new sauce is canola oil, garlic, soy milk and spices.

Ordered that in a pita and was pleasantly surprised. Tons of flavour in it, even if on the oily side. Still junk food, but does the job when in a rush.

The only downside is that this vegan option costs more than any other meat pita on their menu. Nearly double that of my go-to vegan pita. That's been a trend lately, so not unexpected.

I wish Boustan finally fixed what they call falafel. Those dense flavourless balls are like chewing on sand.

251c0e2a-a891-4cd6-a494-9dd54e086947.jpg
Boustan do a lot of things well, but falafel is not one of those things. I made these a few times, and really like them: Fresh Herb Falafel Recipe

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I've tried a few of those ridiculous peppers and sauces / extracts. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns. :laugh:
I don't mind some really hot sauces in small doses, but as far as actual peppers, I'll never use anything hotter than a habanero. They taste really good, and are spicy enough where even if you take too much, you'll be uncomfortable for a while, but you won't think you're about to die.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't mind some really hot sauces in small doses, but as far as actual peppers, I'll never use anything hotter than a habanero. They taste really good, and are spicy enough where even if you take too much, you'll be uncomfortable for a while, but you won't think you're about to die.

My tolerance is probably a bit higher than most, but I also am careful not to ruin a nice meal by overestimating the chile content. If I`m trying a new type of chile, or even one I`m familiar with, I`ll taste them first to decide how much to use.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Who has authentic wasabi outside of Japan unless you are in a high class sushi restaurant?

Pertaining to Montreal,I used to have a list of that very particular information as it was supplied by the Japanese consulate to its's members. They might still provide that information regardless though but I suspect you'd have to inquire to all of the consulates of a specific area.

Reactions: Fenris

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Pertaining to Montreal,I used to have a list of that very particular information as it was supplied by the Japanese consulate to its's members. They might still provide that information regardless though but I suspect you'd have to inquire to all of the consulates of a specific area.

Very hard to get since it loses quality within an hour of being grinded. I'm sure some restaurants can get it in Montreal, but you won't get 15$ sushi plates there ( unless there is a single piece on it :laugh: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad