Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Jeeze, I knew it'd be expensive, but didn't think it'd be that much. Is it possible to buy seeds and grow it yourself?

I'm glad that I don't even like wasabi too much.

Doable but not that easy:
You Can Grow Wasabi In Your Back Yard — The Wasabi Store

Last time I had it, it came out of a small tube. Was pretty potent too.

That's fake wasabi. Wasabi loses it's hotness like 15 minutes after being grated, so it needs to be done to order just before eating.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend caught some of these guys,has to be the easiest type to catch and eat,skin and all!

Saddled-Sea-Bream-Oblada-Melanura002.jpg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Last time I had it, it came out of a small tube. Was pretty potent too.

Should have elaborated more replying previously but time constraints,c'est la vie! Had I know it would have spawned lectures and advertising blitz I would have refrained:laugh:

Those type ''wasabi'' condiment have varying degrees of bite depending on the materials and formula utilized concocting said condiment. Always prudent to start with a small dab before going all out and regretting it.

Reactions: peate

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Very hard to get since it loses quality within an hour of being grinded. I'm sure some restaurants can get it in Montreal, but you won't get 15$ sushi plates there ( unless there is a single piece on it :laugh: ).

How much wasabi do you put on a single piece of fish,typically a pea sized amount suffices which is negligible in the overall scheme of things when factoring the actual fish which might cost and arm and a leg depending on type of fish and grade.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That's a one-time mistake. I recall being at a restaurant in Cuba with a buffet, and they had bowls of various chiles. I grabbed a few and one was terrifying. It was some hybrid of a scotch bonnet and was deadly. :laugh:

Love Cuba! hope to get there again some day. Nice people and no offense to the maritime people,but the best lobster. The fantastic beaches don't hurt either.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How much wasabi do you put on a single piece of fish,typically a pea sized amount suffices which is negligible in the overall scheme of things when factoring the actual fish which might cost and arm and a leg depending on type of fish and grade.

If it's a restaurant with delivery, you can be 100% sure it's not real wasabi as it would go bad by the time it is delivered. Same thing with pre-made. It's pretty much only for omakase style sushi places as it pretty much requires you to grate it to order.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If it's a restaurant with delivery, you can be 100% sure it's not real wasabi as it would go bad by the time it is delivered. Same thing with pre-made. It's pretty much only for omakase style sushi places as it pretty much requires you to grate it to order.

No doubt! Not sure I'd ever have that type of food delivered to be honest,prefer making it ourselves,well she prefers doing it all by herself anyways.:)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Any of you have an air fryer ? How do you like it ?

How quick is it to heat up
Does it generate a lot of heat from the outside?
How crispy are things?
Is it worth it?
What model do you have?

I dont run AC in my appartment so the oven is a big no-no for me in the summer, debating a charcoal or an air fryer right now.

Ive been looking for a Weber original or a master touch but theyre impossible to find right now, probably due to Covid.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Doable but not that easy:
You Can Grow Wasabi In Your Back Yard — The Wasabi Store

That's fake wasabi. Wasabi loses it's hotness like 15 minutes after being grated, so it needs to be done to order just before eating.

How crispy are things?
Is it worth it?
What model do you have?

I dont run AC in my appartment so the oven is a big no-no for me in the summer, debating a charcoal or an air fryer right now.

Ive been looking for a Weber original or a master touch but theyre impossible to find right now, probably due to Covid.

I have a combo air fryer/toaster oven/ convection oven. Saved me in the summer because if I would have used the regular oven the whole apartment gets warm. It's very fast as well and the fries I have tried so far have been pretty crispy.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA-65-AirFryer-toaster-oven-6/dp/B07MRG5F4J

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars

How crispy are things?
Is it worth it?
What model do you have?

1. Heats faster than an oven. It is fast!
2. Does not generate much heat outside.
3. It is surprisingly really crispy!
4. It is really worth it. If you wanna recreate the oil fried foods add a spoon of oil of your choice in the airfryer basket. No need to change oil, no crazy indoor smell, no mess and healthier.
5. Brand is Insignia. Mine is a cheap a one around 100$ but very reliable.
15974302843893223012171634497994.jpg

Reactions: Runner77 and Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad