The Flyers Should Trade Wayne Simmonds

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
None of them have been stellar playoff performers, and I expect none of them to be key elements when this team finally becomes a real Cup contender.

Giroux's last good playoff, 2013-14 at age 26, since then 12g 1-3 4 -12
Voracek's last good playoff, 2011-12 at age 22, since then 20g 3-5 8 -5
JVR's last good playoff, 2012-13 at age 23, since then 13g 5-2 7 -3
Simmonds last good playoff, 2013-14 at age 25, since then 12g 0-4 4 -1

If this team takes a step up, it's gonna be players like Couts, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim that give them that lift.
The veterans have shown they can't carry the load in the money games, they need the kids to step up.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
None of them have been stellar playoff performers, and I expect none of them to be key elements when this team finally becomes a real Cup contender.

Giroux's last good playoff, 2013-14 at age 26, since then 12g 1-3 4 -12
Voracek's last good playoff, 2011-12 at age 22, since then 20g 3-5 8 -5
JVR's last good playoff, 2012-13 at age 23, since then 13g 5-2 7 -3
Simmonds last good playoff, 2013-14 at age 25, since then 12g 0-4 4 -1

If this team takes a step up, it's gonna be players like Couts, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim that give them that lift.
The veterans have shown they can't carry the load in the money games, they need the kids to step up.
The older core wont get it done thats why I want to move on from them.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The older core wont get it done thats why I want to move on from them.
Hatch, how many times do you think Capitals fans have said that in the last 5 years? They stuck with that older core of perennial chokers and I'd say it worked out pretty damn well for them. Here's to hoping our older core can have similar success.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
If Simmonds is traded, it means we are going to all going to be really unhappy this season because we will be nowhere near a playoff spot.

look at the bright side, if we miss the playoffs then Hak has to be fired. depth shouldn't be an issue this season. yeah, goaltending is still a question mark, but with all the talent on this team they still should be able to survive that and grab a wildcard spot at the very least.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
JVR is exactly what this team needs right now until they develop some young scorers.

lol what? you were against adding a scorer all year, and now you're flip flopping?

what happened to this from just a couple months ago?

We don't need a top 6 forward, we need a 3C and depth on the 4th line.

Giroux - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - 3C - Simmonds
Raffl - 4C - NAK/MV/Bardreau

Vorobyev will be that 4C at some point next season, so you could just go with MV/Bardreau and let them sink or swim, or even Weal.
Or start with Weal at 3LW and Laughton at 4C, then move Laughton up to 3LW.
This group would be a significant upgrade over last season as long as you upgrade Filppula, which won't be that hard.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
MacDonald - Myers
Hagg

This would also be a much improved group even with growing pains from Sanheim and Myers.

The big question is goaltending, but it's hard to imagine them being much worse than the last two years.

you're such a contrarian i don't even think you know half of what you say anymore. you literally just want to oppose people, no matter your feelings on a subject. how do you ever expect anyone to take anything you say seriously?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Jvr is the perfect compliment to voracek. Voracek can drive possession and set up while jvr puts the biscuit in the basket. I don't like the jvr addition in the absence of voracek and Jake has underperformed with players who don't compliment his style. If only hak had a better understanding of who fits with who and put players in a position to succeed

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
lol what? you were against adding a scorer all year, and now you're flip flopping?

you're such a contrarian i don't even think you know half of what you say anymore. you literally just want to oppose people, no matter your feelings on a subject. how do you ever expect anyone to take anything you say seriously?

There's a really useful tool for people that do that. The first word starts with I and the second word starts with L.

Reactions: bauer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Duh, Ron tried to sign Stastny before he signed JVR.
Stastny would have been preferable, but he wouldn't sign a two year deal.
So Ron settled for option "B".

"You can't always get what you want . . . "

JVR isn't the optimal move, but he's signed to a five year deal with no NTC.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
"JVR is exactly what this team needs...."

"JVR isn't the optimal move...."

giphy.gif

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

how do you ever expect anyone to take anything you say seriously?

no one does.
ive had discussions with people whom i mostly disagree with, but even the staunchest opponents will agree on something from time to time.
its fairly obvious the two main contrarians on this board are just arguing for ego sake.
i actually kind of pity them. ive seen that type of personality in person.

its a rough existence. having a pathological need to be correct, never having the strength and courage to admit when wrong, even when confronted with overwhelming evidence their argument is flawed.

Reactions: bauer and Striiker

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hatch, how many times do you think Capitals fans have said that in the last 5 years? They stuck with that older core of perennial chokers and I'd say it worked out pretty damn well for them. Here's to hoping our older core can have similar success.
Atleast the players played hard and good and just got beat. G,V,Ghost were f***in terrible in the games but got acouple points. Pens ruined the caps dream two yrs in a row but f*** they should won. Our core gets outplayed line to line. If you are expecting the 3rd and 4th lines to add more so do I but the top line is gonna play Crosby again this year or any top d pair and top line and the same result will happen. We dont have it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Atleast the players played hard and good and just got beat. G,V,Ghost were ****in terrible in the games but got acouple points. Pens ruined the caps dream two yrs in a row but **** they should won. Our core gets outplayed line to line. If you are expecting the 3rd and 4th lines to add more so do I but the top line is gonna play Crosby again this year or any top d pair and top line and the same result will happen. We dont have it.
I get what you're saying Hatch, but sometimes guys just have a bad series. It's f***ing frustrating to watch and leaves a bad taste in your mouth for an entire offseason. Then we get to stew about it for 4 months on a message board. They'll learn from it and come back hungrier next time. Stay positive dude.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I get what you're saying Hatch, but sometimes guys just have a bad series. It's ****ing frustrating to watch and leaves a bad taste in your mouth for an entire offseason. Then we get to stew about it for 4 months on a message board. They'll learn from it and come back hungrier next time. Stay positive dude.
I hope to be in that City if they can win it. Let's see what happens this year.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
False.

The irrational hatred of skill and all Flyers stars is amazing.

At some point you have to realize that you just don't like hockey and should move on to boxing or UFC or something like that.
Love hockey just not the flyers at this point but I don't switch teams ever win or lose. I train in boxing and mma for years now but not for competition but to be able to handle myself in today's f***ed up world and love both and weightlifting anda going crazy with cardio for endurance is what i love. I loved playing hockey and watching it. Flyers one day will get there but not right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"JVR is exactly what this team needs...."

"JVR isn't the optimal move...."

giphy.gif

We needed a 3C as a stopgap, that was the priority, but Ron didn't want to block his young centers by giving a 3 year deal.
We needed more scoring, when we couldn't get a 3C (allowing Laughton to move to LW where he has 20 goal potential), then a scoring winger was Plan B.
Stastny would have been a better choice than JVR. But JVR will help, though he wouldn't be my first choice, he knows how to score and isn't afraid to shoot the puck. He was the best that was available, he came at a reasonable cost with no NMC and only a 5 year term.

Now we have two top lines, but the bottom six is in flux until the kids start arriving the next two years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
False.

The irrational hatred of skill and all Flyers stars is amazing.

At some point you have to realize that you just don't like hockey and should move on to boxing or UFC or something like that.

Hatcher gets a bit emotional and can go overboard, but your knee jerk defense of highly paid players who go belly up is just as extreme.

When you look at the playoff careers of say the Caps top players, you see the difference.
At some point what a player did 5-6 years ago is no longer relevant.
The "stars" on this team would be supporting players on a Cup contender - the way Kessel is on Pittsburgh or Backstrom on the Capitals.
When the young players step up and take over, players like Giroux and Voracek and JVR will be more effective when they're not asked to carry the load.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Hatcher gets a bit emotional and can go overboard, but your knee jerk defense of highly paid players who go belly up is just as extreme.

When you look at the playoff careers of say the Caps top players, you see the difference.
At some point what a player did 5-6 years ago is no longer relevant.
The "stars" on this team would be supporting players on a Cup contender - the way Kessel is on Pittsburgh or Backstrom on the Capitals.
When the young players step up and take over, players like Giroux and Voracek and JVR will be more effective when they're not asked to carry the load.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad