The Flyers Should Trade Wayne Simmonds

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not gonna lie, these threads are muuuuuuuch more bearable if you put select posters on ignore.

tenor-1.gif

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Recency bias is a bitch. It literally made Karlsson go from the biggest difference maker in nhl to I'm not taking that risk on his next contract category in span of one season.
Also speaking of perennial chokers don't forget hossa. Dude choked back to back cup finals amarite?

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are we ignoring that the team is clearly making large steps forward?

We’re going to pretend there’s a problem with how things are progressing?

Ok, that seems rational.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are we ignoring that the team is clearly making large steps forward?

We’re going to pretend there’s a problem with how things are progressing?

Ok, that seems rational.

I see your optimism and raise you one Royal Toilet Flush of Hakstol, Laperriere, Lehtera, Weise, and MacDonald.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I see your optimism and raise you one Royal Toilet Flush of Hakstol, Laperriere, Lehtera, Weise, and MacDonald.
Those are all bad things, but how many are here long term?

All three of those players are gone in the very near future and if they don't start seeing playoff success I fully believe both coaches will to be out soon too. I'm not worried about any of them.

Meanwhile, the roster and prospect pool are showing tons of reasons for optimism and Hextall has proven his focus has now shifted to present day by signing JVR. And Hakstol's beloved trash, Filppula and Manning, both got the boot.

No matter how pessimistic someone tries to be, there's no way this adds up to more bad than good. Saying the "makeup/direction needs to change" is just ridiculous.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I mean, in fairness, if Lappy hasn’t been fired by now we don’t have any real reason to believe he’ll ever be fired. The one metric needed to measure his success with has said he’s one of the worst in the league every year he’s been here and he’s survived multiple coaches technically.

Coaches never get fired when a team is winning short of being a contender that suffers multiple early playoff exits. Considering Hak has survived more than one ten game loss streak, a year of missing the playoffs, and two awful first round exits I would be surprised to see him gone any time soon. Only way I could see it happening is if w miss the playoffs entirely.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, in fairness, if Lappy hasn’t been fired by now we don’t have any real reason to believe he’ll ever be fired. The one metric needed to measure his success with has said he’s one of the worst in the league every year he’s been here and he’s survived multiple coaches technically.

Coaches never get fired when a team is winning short of being a contender that suffers multiple early playoff exits. Considering Hak has survived more than one ten game loss streak, a year of missing the playoffs, and two awful first round exits I would be surprised to see him gone any time soon. Only way I could see it happening is if w miss the playoffs entirely.
Well we know that Hextall doesn’t interfere with his coach, both by his words and actions. And an assistant coach like Lappy does fall under the head cosches control. It’s probably that Hakstol wants to keep him and since Hextall obviously hasn’t decided to get rid of Hakstol yet, he’s still allowing him full control over his staff.

Now to be clear, that isn’t a defense of Hextall at all. This is a massive mistake on his part and the one real issue I have with the job he’s done. It’s good to trust the people you hire, but at some point you need to step in and fix it when they make mistakes. They are his subordinates and their mistakes are his responsibility.

So, like I said, I fully believe that if the team doesn’t see significant success in the very near future, Hextall will run out of patience and make a change, which likely means a clean sweep of the entire coaching staff.

Reactions: macleish1974

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Well we know that Hextall doesn’t interfere with his coach, both by his words and actions. And an assistant coach like Lappy does fall under the head cosches control. It’s probably that Hakstol wants to keep him and since Hextall obviously hasn’t decided to get rid of Hakstol yet, he’s still allowing him full control over his staff.

Now to be clear, that isn’t a defense of Hextall at all. This is a massive mistake on his part and the one real issue I have with the job he’s done. It’s good to trust the people you hire, but at some point you need to step in and fix it when they make mistakes. They are his subordinates and their mistakes are his responsibility.

So, like I said, I fully believe that if the team doesn’t see significant success in the very near future, Hextall will run out of patience and make a change, which likely means a clean sweep of the entire coaching staff.
Hextall hasn’t fired any coach during his time here. He has only not renewed contracts and then hired his replacement. Lappy still falls under that. It’s a shame really cause berube should have never been a head coach and really did well with the pk.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall hasn’t fired any coach during his time here. He has only not renewed contracts and then hired his replacement. Lappy still falls under that. It’s a shame really cause berube should have never been a head coach and really did well with the pk.
He fired Berube

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall kept Lappy.
Y'all try so hard to deflect blame from Hextall to Hakstol.
Hextall is responsible for everything, the good and the bad.
Fortunately, there's a lot more good.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

We don’t know for a fact if Hextall interferes with his coaches. Yes he says he doesn’t but public declarations by GMs shouldn’t be taken as truth. As far as actions, there is the possibility he agrees with everything the coaches are doing. As you said, they are his subordinates so I have a hard time believing that he would just sit back and let them do things he really hates. Does you boss just sit back and let you just do your own thing against his preferred way?

Until proven otherwise, ie he actually fires them, the most likely situation is that Hextall and the coaches see things the same. I know this thought bothers fans of Hextall, but it is the most likely situation and it doesn’t make Hextall a horrible GM either. He can have a deficiency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad