The Flyers Should Trade Wayne Simmonds

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Read your article on Bleacher Report... it’s under the flyers section as the top one. Awesome stuff! I didn’t even realize it was you until I came on here.

I do agree that Simmonds needs to be traded. My sentimentality tells me otherwise, but logic says to do it.

The return won’t be what we could once get for him. If he plays well enough, a team may be willing to pay a higher premium come trade deadline.

As you hinted in the article too, many players like TK, Provorov, Sanheim, Patrick, and other rookies need extensions soon. We have a good amount of cap space, but it may not be good to give 6.5-7.25 mil to a 30 year old for the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: Ted Brown

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Read your article on Bleacher Report... it’s under the flyers section as the top one. Awesome stuff! I didn’t even realize it was you until I came on here.

I do agree that Simmonds needs to be traded. My sentimentality tells me otherwise, but logic says to do it.

The return won’t be what we could once get for him. If he plays well enough, a team may be willing to pay a higher premium come trade deadline.

As you hinted in the article too, many players like TK, Provorov, Sanheim, Patrick, and other rookies need extensions soon. We have a good amount of cap space, but it may not be good to give 6.5-7.25 mil to a 30 year old for the next 3-5 years.

Thank you!

GM’s overpay for intangibles all the time (Tom Wilson, Milan Lucic, etc). Flyers could probably cash in on a trade with a GM who’s looking to make his team “harder to play against.”

Reactions: Morinisbear

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Guys that produce similar/more than Wayne are getting less than expected. We don't have a 3rd line RW in the system that appears to be ready for that role this next season. And I doubt a team will give up a good/young 3rd line RW + a quality prospect for Simmonds after the year he just had and considering his contract situation. I could see a team give up a protected late 1st round pick, just not both a decent roster player and prospect.

I rather just keep him and give him 3rd line minutes and 2nd PP unit time. Then thank him for his time here, and watch a team like the Oilers give him a 6M deal for 5 years.

Reactions: tymed and Tripod

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks for your article, Ted. I would agree with a trade that brings back real value but not a get-whatever-we-can approach. The Flyers are over the rebuild hump and can use Simmonds's talents to hopefully get past a first-round exit. I am tossing out last season as a metric of Simmonds' xonti he'd value but your 2016-17 stats are compelling, as is the question of his rebound season after being so banged up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I agree in theory, and I am definitely in favor of doing so. He's looking like he'll probably be a third liner with PP time, which is something we can get for cheaper while getting something in return for the here and now or future. That being said, I don't think the Flyers move him until the deadline at this point. He's our best option for that middle six spot at the moment and if he's crushing it this season they can either A) get more for him or B) keep him for a playoff run depending on where they are in the standings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thank you!

GM’s overpay for intangibles all the time (Tom Wilson, Milan Lucic, etc). Flyers could probably cash in on a trade with a GM who’s looking to make his team “harder to play against.”

If Calgary had a 1st in the 2018 Draft, I have a feeling Simmonds would have already been traded there. They specifically mentioned wanting to be tougher to play against after their season ended and need to improve on the RW. I also think Calgary would be a very easy to swallow location to move Simmonds for the Flyers brass. There is next to zero chance he is traded into the Eastern Conference.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're not going to get back enough from Simmonds to make a trade worthwhile, I mean you're assuming there are a lot of stupid GMs on playoff contending teams - because the only teams that will be interested in a one year rental will be a play off team that needs a 3RW who can play on PP1 - gee, can I think of such a team?

Flyers simply don't have a replacement for Simmonds at RW this year, MV? Weal? Raffl?
So he has more value to them as a bridge to the "next generation" than he does in terms of trade value.

TB87

May 30, 2018
If Calgary had a 1st in the 2018 Draft, I have a feeling Simmonds would have already been traded there. They specifically mentioned wanting to be tougher to play against after their season ended and need to improve on the RW. I also think Calgary would be a very easy to swallow location to move Simmonds for the Flyers brass. There is next to zero chance he is traded into the Eastern Conference.

Right-handed Defenseman Rasmus Andersson and Center Dillon Dube would look good in Orange & Black.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I agree in theory, and I am definitely in favor of doing so. He's looking like he'll probably be a third liner with PP time, which is something we can get for cheaper while getting something in return for the here and now or future. That being said, I don't think the Flyers move him until the deadline at this point. He's our best option for that middle six spot at the moment and if he's crushing it this season they can either A) get more for him or B) keep him for a playoff run depending on where they are in the standings.

It’s a tough situation to truly gauge. Deadline may be the best time to trade him. I would’ve explored every possible option to move him during the draft though. I think that was a missed opportunity

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd like to wait until the deadline and see where we are. If we can make a playoff push we keep him and probably let him walk in the off-season unless he takes shorter term then he can get from others. People will still over pay in a trade for Simmonds though, especially a team needing that net front presence on the PP and the hard nose attitude for the playoffs.

TB87

May 30, 2018
We're not going to get back enough from Simmonds to make a trade worthwhile, I mean you're assuming there are a lot of stupid GMs on playoff contending teams - because the only teams that will be interested in a one year rental will be a play off team that needs a 3RW who can play on PP1 - gee, can I think of such a team?

Flyers simply don't have a replacement for Simmonds at RW this year, MV? Weal? Raffl?
So he has more value to them as a bridge to the "next generation" than he does in terms of trade value.

You know for a fact that the Flyers won’t get back enough to make a trade worthwhile? None of us know that. Assuming that’s the case seems pretty pessimistic. You do you though.

Quite a few GM’s of upcoming playoff teams will make stupid decisions. It happens every year. Why would a GM overpaying for Simmonds be any different? Look at the Tatar trade...the list could go on and on.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmonds is 30, coming off a major injury, with declining production for two years, on a one year deal.
And the key question is who is our 3RW this season if you trade Simmonds?
No one is giving us an experienced NHL top 9 RW in return - that wouldn't make sense for a playoff team, at best a prospect who might be close to the NHL.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Playoff contending teams is like 3/4 the league

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If the flyers are making a playoff push to get past the 1st rd what kind of player would they be looking for? To me the return would need to be really good as we'd end up overpaying for Simmonds light at the deadline anyway. Brown(or Kapanen) plus Toronto's 1st is something id do but i don't think equivalent offers are really pooring in. If we're looking at something along the lines of skinner Simmonds value is higher to Philly even if he walks

TB87

May 30, 2018
Simmonds is 30, coming off a major injury, with declining production for two years, on a one year deal.
And the key question is who is our 3RW this season if you trade Simmonds?
No one is giving us an experienced NHL top 9 RW in return - that wouldn't make sense for a playoff team, at best a prospect who might be close to the NHL.

Bergevin of the Canadiens has a history of making bad trades. A Wayne Simmonds for Brendan Gallagher trade would help both teams (the Flyers moreso obviously). Bergevin gets his grit and Hextall gets his Simmonds replacement (who is a better all-round Right Winger).

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Right-handed Defenseman Rasmus Andersson and Center Dillon Dube would look good in Orange & Black.
I would rarther he is traded for picks down the road to keep the pipeline coming if he was traded for those two we just create more of a log jam in a year or two instead of extending it .

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If they can replace him at EV+PP seamlessly... which they should be able to... then he should be traded.

Patrick showed last year he could do as good a job 5v4 as Simmonds, over a decent sample.
Simmonds at 5v5 the last couple of years has produced less than Weal, and identically to Laughton. And he is just "meh" defensively at 5v5.

TB87

May 30, 2018
If they can replace him at EV+PP seamlessly... which they should be able to... then he should be traded.

Patrick showed last year he could do as good a job 5v4 as Simmonds, over a decent sample.
Simmonds at 5v5 the last couple of years has produced less than Weal, and identically to Laughton. And he is just "meh" defensively at 5v5.

Bjork or Heinen from Boston would be a nice return. I'd LOVE it if Hextall somehow wrangled Brendan Gallagher away from the Canadiens in a potential Simmonds trade. Bergevin has shown that he can be fleeced via trades...

Reactions: Appleyard

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Intimidation is still a part of the game. If we trade Simmonds, that leaves us with almost no one willing to drop the gloves for their teammates and serve as a deterrent to other teams looking to take liberties on our valuable young squad on a nightly basis. Simmer isn't going anywhere and shouldn't even if for this reason alone. Say what you will about a guy like Manning, but his willingness to fight for teammates, regardless of proficiency in doing so, was highly valued in the dressing room. Ill risk losing Simmer for nothing at year's end if he serves as an insurance policy in this regard, especially with returns looking as slim as they have been.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Simmonds fought all of 3 times last year and one of those times he got jumped and missed time after the fact.

You're not wrong about those facts. But what exactly are you suggesting though, that Wayne isn't a feared scrapper now or that he doesn't effectively serve as a deterrent for other NHL regulars looking to get under our player's skin? I doubt that's what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad