The Fire Everyone Thread

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No, I don't think so. The Yotes front office is very weak of hockey knowledgeable people. Chayka is wearing too many hats as it is, with little experience.
Is Chayka on year 3 or 4? At some point he’s experienced.

I do agree though. The more good minds we can add to the front office the better. The issue is Chirelli’s track record is littered with bad moves and poor judgement. The Taylor Hall trade our of Edmonton being the worst case of asset management the league has ever seen. I also fear his love for Keith Gretzky in scouting. His track record in AZ was a debacle. Visentin. Trading up for Tikhonov. A second round history that likely ranks near the bottom of the league. Hell he even had Turris ahead of Patrick Kane in 2007. He’s god awful and I never want his associated with Yotes again.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is Chayka on year 3 or 4? At some point he’s experienced.

I do agree though. The more good minds we can add to the front office the better. The issue is Chirelli’s track record is littered with bad moves and poor judgement. The Taylor Hall trade our of Edmonton being the worst case of asset management the league has ever seen. I also fear his love for Keith Gretzky in scouting. His track record in AZ was a debacle. Visentin. Trading up for Tikhonov. A second round history that likely ranks near the bottom of the league. Hell he even had Turris ahead of Patrick Kane in 2007. He’s god awful and I never want his associated with Yotes again.
Compared to seasoned GM's in the NHL he is a baby learning how to crawl. Don't forget many GM's in the NHL worked there way up to that position before becoming a GM. Chirelli would be absolutely the worst move the Yotes could do. I would rather keep RT as coach than have a guy like Chirelli come on board.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Compared to seasoned GM's in the NHL he is a baby learning how to crawl. Don't forget many GM's in the NHL worked there way up to that position before becoming a GM. Chirelli would be absolutely the worst move the Yotes could do. I would rather keep RT as coach than have a guy like Chirelli come on board.
Where is Muta going? He’s been the “next guy” as long as I can remember.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Where is Muta going? He’s been the “next guy” as long as I can remember.
Could be a tremendous opportunity to fire Chayka and Sullivan and replace them with Lombardi and Futa. With an understanding In place that the 62 year old Lombardi is on one final 3-4yr contract and then he turns the keys over to his long-time protege and former heir apparent Futa. The prospect of this might be enough to entice both of them. Then we have a proven, legitimate NHL front office. Fire Tocchet, hire Laviolette and suddenly our bench gets credibility that it completely lacks. Especially when he fires the assistants.

Reactions: Surfshop

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Could be a tremendous opportunity to fire Chayka and Sullivan and replace them with Lombardi and Futa. With an understanding In place that the 62 year old Lombardi is on one final 3-4yr contract and then he turns the keys over to his long-time protege and former heir apparent Futa. The prospect of this might be enough to entice both of them. Then we have a proven, legitimate NHL front office. Fire Tocchet, hire Laviolette and suddenly our bench gets credibility that it completely lacks. Especially when he fires the assistants.
I wonder if the Owner's appetite for losing some money short term will be very low as business in other industries are also taking a beating? Might make status quo look attractive to him short term.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Winning games would help.
Winning games might help, we have no idea yet of the financial fallout from this pandemic. It's quite possible as an example that Canadians will not be in AZ next winter. That would be a lot of tickets not getting sold. TheOwner just might not have an appetite for eating contract dollars now while adding a bunch more. Or like you said he plays the long game and takes advantage of a chance to improve now for the benefit in 3 or 5 years?? Just pointing out a possibility that it isn't as simple as making changes.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
My dream scenario...

Out:
John Chayka
Steve Sullivan
Rick Tocchet
John MacLean
Phil Housley

In:
Dean Lombardi
Mike Futa
Peter Laviolette
Kevin McCarthy
Greg Cronin

Keep Chayka, but still add Lombardi. Let Lombardi do the talking and negotiating with other GM's, let Chayka lead the drafting.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I liked what Montgomery did in Dallas. Is it too soon to hire him? What's the comfort level there?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hasn’t McCarthy overseen the worst PP for the last two seasons?
Also, Dan Muse came in to run the PP a couple of seasons ago. The three years McCarthy was in Nashville before Muse came aboard, it was Laviolette, McCarthy and Housley. The Preds Net PP% was ranked 15th league wide in that span. They were 12th in PP goals. They were top ten in points during that time. For the record, their Net PK% was 12th.

Pretty sure McCarthy had forwards and PK (like MacLean this year) while Housley had D and PP (like this year). With Laviolette around, it seemed to work damn well. They took over after a three season drought, and made the playoffs year one. They won a round in year two. Then made it to the Cup finals in the third year. Not bad.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
After watching the firings and the Arizona fan reactions to them, I feel like somehow an Arizona fan got one of those "monkey's paw" cursed wishes and they wished for two leaders gone from Arizona but didn't specify which ones...

Reactions: RemoAZ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I guess Johnny Hockey's shine is worn off here. Analytics look good on paper but it's not how you build a winning hockey team. Speed, speed , speed says Johnny.
Rick Tochett is a very good coach. If he was with a decent organization that got him RT type players it would be different.
This team is where it usually is....the basement of the NHL or near it.
Same with attendance. Despite "winning" most of the year still no fans. (3rd worst in capacity pct).
Perhaps the worst organization with the worst arena location in the history of sports going all the way back to Athens Greece B.C.

Reactions: flying v 604

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess Johnny Hockey's shine is worn off here. Analytics look good on paper but it's not how you build a winning hockey team. Speed, speed , speed says Johnny.
Rick Tochett is a very good coach. If he was with a decent organization that got him RT type players it would be different.
This team is where it usually is....the basement of the NHL or near it.
Same with attendance. Despite "winning" most of the year still no fans. (3rd worst in capacity pct).
Perhaps the worst organization with the worst arena location in the history of sports going all the way back to Athens Greece B.C.
Maybe you shouldn't drink the cool aid so early in the day.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Maybe someone posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it. What makes Bettman think he can do something like this? The Steve Dangle Podcast was discussing this on yesterday's podcast at the 58 minute mark. They also discussed Shane Doan and his shitty split from the Coyotes.

"Pistol Pete might be back in the saddle sooner rather than later.
According to a note from Steve Simmons in a column in the Toronto Sun a few days ago, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would like to have Peter Chiarelli help steer the Arizona Coyotes out of the neverending swamp of mediocrity they’ve been trapped in for years.
For some reason, and we’re not sure why, commissioner Gary Bettman wants former Oilers and Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli back working in the NHL. He’d like to place him with the historically dysfunctional Arizona Coyotes."​

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe someone posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it. What makes Bettman think he can do something like this? The Steve Dangle Podcast was discussing this on yesterday's podcast at the 58 minute mark. They also discussed Shane Doan and his shitty split from the Coyotes.

"Pistol Pete might be back in the saddle sooner rather than later.
According to a note from Steve Simmons in a column in the Toronto Sun a few days ago, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would like to have Peter Chiarelli help steer the Arizona Coyotes out of the neverending swamp of mediocrity they’ve been trapped in for years.
For some reason, and we’re not sure why, commissioner Gary Bettman wants former Oilers and Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli back working in the NHL. He’d like to place him with the historically dysfunctional Arizona Coyotes."​
Well if we are truly facing 100+ violations in stretchgate and it’s $1M per incident then I think Bettman has a little leverage to minimize the fee/fine.

Of course we don’t know what exactly happened in stretchgate because the sports journalists are swamped.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Well if we are truly facing 100+ violations in stretchgate and it’s $1M per incident then I think Bettman has a little leverage to minimize the fee/fine.

Of course we don’t know what exactly happened in stretchgate because the sports journalists are swamped.
Well that is one way to punish the Yotes. Stick us with Chiarelli. Just as bad or worse than taking away our draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00