The Fire Everyone Thread

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe someone posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it. What makes Bettman think he can do something like this? The Steve Dangle Podcast was discussing this on yesterday's podcast at the 58 minute mark. They also discussed Shane Doan and his shitty split from the Coyotes.

"Pistol Pete might be back in the saddle sooner rather than later.
According to a note from Steve Simmons in a column in the Toronto Sun a few days ago, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would like to have Peter Chiarelli help steer the Arizona Coyotes out of the neverending swamp of mediocrity they’ve been trapped in for years.
For some reason, and we’re not sure why, commissioner Gary Bettman wants former Oilers and Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli back working in the NHL. He’d like to place him with the historically dysfunctional Arizona Coyotes."​
We need Shane Doan a part of the organization. I don't see that happening as long as Barroway is around.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well Cohen going is a first step. Apparently they didn’t get along.
Wait? I thought Cohen gave the speech at the ceremony because Doan and Chayka/Barroway didn’t get along. That’s why Cohen had a larger than expected presence I thought?

Too much soap opera to keep up with.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well Cohen going is a first step. Apparently they didn’t get along.
I didn't hear about Doan and Cohen not getting along. I always thought it was Barroway that told Chayka to tell Doan he is no longer wanted.:dunno: If Cohen was a part of the gang that wanted Doan gone, then good ridence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wait? I thought Cohen gave the speech at the ceremony because Doan and Chayka/Barroway didn’t get along. That’s why Cohen had a larger than expected presence I thought?

That's what I thought also.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Yeah, I thought Cohen was the one guy in the AZ front office Doan did get along with.....

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I didn't hear about Doan and Cohen not getting along. I always thought it was Barroway that told Chayka to tell Doan he is no longer wanted.:dunno: If Cohen was a part of the gang that wanted Doan gone, then good ridence.
I just recall Morgan commenting on the Nattie Hattie about his relationship with Doan. Maybe I’m wrong. I’d gladly love to be corrected.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Cohen wasn’t CEO yet. He was the team’s attorney at that time. Steve Patterson was CEO when Doan was given the omelette treatment.

Besides.... Barroway only controls 5% of the franchise. If Meruelo wanted Doan back in I don’t think there would be an issue.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cohen wasn’t CEO yet. He was the team’s attorney at that time. Steve Patterson was CEO when Doan was given the omelette treatment.

Besides.... Barroway only controls 5% of the franchise. If Meruelo wanted Doan back in I don’t think there would be an issue.
The decision would be Doan's not Meruelo's. If Doan is still pissed at Chayka and AB, and I wouldn't blame him if he is, Meruelo would be pissing up a rope until those two are gone. Doan doesn't need the Coyotes, the Coyotes need Doan.

Reactions: doaner

rt

May 13, 2004
I would like to have Doan back but I’m not sure why the team would “need” him. He was a good hockey player, and a great role model, face of the franchise type. But what would his value-add be, besides figurehead, goodwill ambassador, and marketing tool?

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would like to have Doan back but I’m not sure why the team would “need” him. He was a good hockey player, and a great role model, face of the franchise type. But what would his value-add be, besides figurehead, goodwill ambassador, and marketing tool?
You can't have enough good people in your organization. Not sure what Doan is looking for, but he could be a Yzerman like addition. I will tell you one thing, his involvement will be much greater than a "figurehead or marketing tool or goodwill ambassador". Like Yzerman, Doan is respected, and demands respect. We don't have that.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The decision would be Doan's not Meruelo's. If Doan is still pissed at Chayka and AB, and I wouldn't blame him if he is, Meruelo would be pissing up a rope until those two are gone. Doan doesn't need the Coyotes, the Coyotes need Doan.
Always get a chuckle out of this take. It’s not unusual, in fact it’s normal for player termination to go down like this did. Just because Doan wears his heart on his sleeve and everybody loves him, skews the entire process.
Dick Van Arsdale was treated same, just had a different attitude.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You can't have enough good people in your organization. Not sure what Doan is looking for, but he could be a Yzerman like addition. I will tell you one thing, his involvement will be much greater than a "figurehead or marketing tool or goodwill ambassador". Like Yzerman, Doan is respected, and demands respect. We don't have that.
Doan does not demand respect, he gives respect in order to get it. Has said this himself.

rt

May 13, 2004
No, no. I have zero comfort with Doan being involved with actual hockey operations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Always get a chuckle out of this take. It’s not unusual, in fact it’s normal for player termination to go down like this did. Just because Doan wears his heart on his sleeve and everybody loves him, skews the entire process.
Dick Van Arsdale was treated same, just had a different attitude.
You never liked Doan but you liked Riberio so I will take you opinion with a grain of salt.:)

No, no. I have zero comfort with Doan being involved with actual hockey operations.

You have your opinion, I just don't agree with it. Players change their mind set when they enter the management field. It happens all the time.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You never liked Doan but you liked Riberio so I will take you opinion with a grain of salt.:).
:laugh: Your memory fails you old man. I love Doan as a player and a person. “We should all be more like Shane Doan” - me.
I understood Ribero’s frustration, playing with fools who did not share his vision - does not mean I condone his actions.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
:laugh: Your memory fails you old man. I love Doan as a player and a person. “We should all be more like Shane Doan” - me.
I understood Ribero’s frustration, playing with fools who did not share his vision - does not mean I condone his actions.
It seems to me that Doan should be the face of the organization and be mentored in both the business and hockey side. Who knows? He may have the chops for the business or the ops side. Maybe not, but he is worth his weight in gold for this organization.

Reactions: lanky and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It seems to me that Doan should be the face of the organization and be mentored in both the business and hockey side. Who knows? He may have the chops for the business or the ops side. Maybe not, but he is worth his weight in gold for this organization.
He could be a Yzerman, or a Gretzky, but I think the upside is far greater than the downside.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd easily give Doan a job that wouldn't have final say on big decisions such as Ass. GM, regional scout, or consultant. At least until there's a better idea how he would run a team. If Steve Yzerman can do a great job I wouldn't rule out Doan with no reason.
Having a player respected and liked as much as Doan is could very well be a great asset in contract negotiations with players as well. So in a more minor role he could be a bigger positive than negative

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Doan is an icon in AZ, most other could care less. They still call him a racist in Quebec. Young free agents to be may not even know who he is, the exception Matthews. He is not a HOF player so other than being a nice guy he would bring nothing to the bargaining table.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Doan is an icon in AZ, most other could care less. They still call him a racist in Quebec. Young free agents to be may not even know who he is, the exception Matthews. He is not a HOF player so other than being a nice guy he would bring nothing to the bargaining table.
Matthews being the exception is a pretty huge exception. That said I think you're viewing it more from a NHL fan perspective. Shane Doan is an infectious person period, not just to local fans but with damn near everyone he meets, there are stories after stories after stories backing this up. Considering how instrumental he was in ending the lockout and his current role with the NHL, I think it's fair to say he's a lot more well known than you're giving him credit for, especially in circles that matter (i.e. NHL front offices, players union, etc.).

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe he has learned some things as an owner of the Kamloops Blazers?
The principle reason this franchise has been an unmitigated failure for the last quarter of a century has been botched on the job training. Really and truly. From Gretzky to the Ice Edge Clowns to Tocchet and Chayka. Unqualified and inexperienced hobbiests are the primary reason we’ve NEVER been able to make meaningful progress.

I love Shane Doan. But seriously. f*** every chance he has to just waltz into the NHL in a decision making role. It’s wholly unearned. f*** that. Go pay your dues Shane. Earn it. And thing is...

...I bet he agrees with me.

Reactions: moosemeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad