The Fire Everyone Thread

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think Hall likes Tocchet. If I think I can re-sign Hall to a big long extension, I might wait until the trade is official before I fire Tocchet. It doesn't change the fact that Chayka made a mistake by not firing him in January. I don't think Hall would have liked Laviolette or Gallant less. Certainly not if the team started winning and made the playoffs. Then he'd like them a whole lot more, I'd wager.

I can't excuse Chayka for throwing away the season, and costing us a top 10 pick as a result. I won't. He deserves to be fired for that.

Yes and Yes, he deserves to be fired.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't know how anyone can blame our goalies for the poor second half. We added Kessel and Hall and we STILL can't score. When has a team that's needed the goalie to average under 2 goals per game to be slightly above 500 been considered a contender for anything? Fact is Chayka made a bunch of moves to take us from pathetic to a mediocre, old, non-playoff team that's up against the cap. That's not anywhere near how you're supposed to come out of a rebuild. Still no top line center or young star to build around and we'll be without several high picks the next couple years. It's like we need to sell off as many players as possible the next couple years and start the rebuild over AGAIN. The absolute worst part is Chayka and everyone else in the organization keeps saying we're going in the right direction. Ugh!

Reactions: Surfshop and MIG

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Hall likes Tocchet. If I think I can re-sign Hall to a big long extension, I might wait until the trade is official before I fire Tocchet. It doesn't change the fact that Chayka made a mistake by not firing him in January. I don't think Hall would have liked Laviolette or Gallant less. Certainly not if the team started winning and made the playoffs. Then he'd like them a whole lot more, I'd wager.

I can't excuse Chayka for throwing away the season, and costing us a top 10 pick as a result. I won't. He deserves to be fired for that.

Chayka missed an opportunity to remove Tocchet during the slide in January. However, they were a first place team at the start of the month and their all star goalie was injured. There are some optics. You can bet the folks in Toronto would not have painted that in any kind of favourable context. Cue the “Why would Hall sign an extension in that unstable environment” articles. Probably land the Coyotes the cover on The Hockey News. (A feat we can’t even muster when we have the top rated prospect in the game btw). I get the anger but I’m more of a macro thinker in my approach so I get Chayka’s approach. I don’t think he’s the problem and in a normal off season I would be inclined to push harder for a Tocchet dismissal (keep in mind Muerelo is bleeding cash in all his businesses) this off season. We may see Tocchet as a lame duck coach. If that happens I think you will see change next season.

Reactions: Surfshop

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
1. Fire Rick Tocchet and hire Bruce Boudreau. Let Boudreau decide what to do with the assistants.
2. Pull out all the stops to re-sign Taylor Hall. 80 mil for 8 years?
3. Unload the final year of Marian Hossa. It can be LTIR'd, but it's just easier and cleaner to move it.
4. Buy out Michael Grabner (he is done and no one is going to want him).
5. Pay Derek Stepan's signing bonus and move him to a floor team.
6. Trade Vinnie Hinostroza for a cheap, bottom-six physical presence.
7. Consider trading Antti Raanta (post-bonus to make him more attractive). Use the savings on a less talented but more reliable backup.
8. Re-sign one of Carl Soderberg or Brad Richardson.
9. Tell Phil Kessel that he can no longer get by on skill alone. Beg him to work with a Gary Roberts type or ask for his trade list.

I don't know what this looks like cap wise but here you go. Don't get caught up in the line combos, this is more of a depth chart:

Hall - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Hayton - Kessel
(Stepan trade return) - Schmaltz - (Hinostroza trade return)
Crouse - Soderberg/Richardson - Fischer

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Demers
Oesterle

Kuemper
Non-injured Backup

It's still kind of meh but hard to really say with so many blanks (trade returns). One positive, dirt bag Mike Ribeiro is off the books this summer.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Eventually the percentages even out.

They haven't in like 3 years running. The Coyotes have some of the worst high danger conversion rates in the league the last few years. It probably was the worst up until just last year which might have nudged us up a few spots.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A feat we can’t even muster when we have the top rated prospect in the game btw
I tried a quick google search to see the top prospects right now but not getting anything but 2020 NHL Entry draft articles.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hall - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Hayton - Kessel

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Demers
Oesterle

Kuemper
Non-injured Backup

So basically add Soderstrom and two thirdliners and try again?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have moved into the fire Tocchet group. His inability to adapt his system to his roster and his double standard with Kessel are my reasons. I am curious on how Hall would react to a change or if he would prefer to play next season for Tocchet but I’d be prepared to respond to that accordingly.

I have not given up on Chayka as GM.
If Chayka keeps RT then what? This team is soft, has been for two years and nothing has been done to solve that problem. Our mix is wrong, that is on Chayka. Goaltending saved this team early in the season and that led Chayka to believe that the addition of Hall would secure a playoff. He didn't see the warning signs. I love Hall and the way he plays, but it was not the time to trade for a player of his calibre. Now we lose a top ten draft pick for a few games of Hall. Dumb, dumb, dumb.Now we are a cap team with an aging D, soft as butter forwards. I start with bringing in a new coach, and see how the players respond. The only problem is that both our owner and Chayka like RT.

Reactions: Surfshop and rt

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So basically add Soderstrom and two thirdliners and try again?

Not much cap for much else I would think. Dvorak took a step this year. Kessel has more to offer. Other young players could take a big step under Boudreau.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tocchet is either gone or he is extended within a year. This problem will resolve itself.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
1. Fire Rick Tocchet and hire Bruce Boudreau. Let Boudreau decide what to do with the assistants.
2. Pull out all the stops to re-sign Taylor Hall. 80 mil for 8 years?
3. Unload the final year of Marian Hossa. It can be LTIR'd, but it's just easier and cleaner to move it.
4. Buy out Michael Grabner (he is done and no one is going to want him).
5. Pay Derek Stepan's signing bonus and move him to a floor team.
6. Trade Vinnie Hinostroza for a cheap, bottom-six physical presence.
7. Consider trading Antti Raanta (post-bonus to make him more attractive). Use the savings on a less talented but more reliable backup.
8. Re-sign one of Carl Soderberg or Brad Richardson.
9. Tell Phil Kessel that he can no longer get by on skill alone. Beg him to work with a Gary Roberts type or ask for his trade list.

I don't know what this looks like cap wise but here you go. Don't get caught up in the line combos, this is more of a depth chart:

Hall - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Hayton - Kessel

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Capobianco - Demers
Oesterle

Kuemper
Non-injured Backup

It's still kind of meh but hard to really say with so many blanks (trade returns). One positive, dirt bag Mike Ribeiro is off the books this summer.
You forgot Chychrun. Or did you assume he is injured :)

Reactions: Mosby

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Sure. But they had a 2.11 GF/GP. That's not going to get you wins. This team can't score goals. They can't score goals because they are soft, perimeter team, that rushes plays, and handles the puck like a live hand grenade. It's what Tocchet calls "playing fast". Which so far as I can tell is the same as "playing panicked".

Goaltending did NOT destroy out season. Coaching did.

Indeed. As it's been said .. it's a 3-2 kind of league now. Averaging 2 goals a game puts you on the 2 side of the 3-2 and that's not a goalie's fault. It's RT and his system at minimum.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Getting Hall gave me a buzz I've never had as a fan so Chayka has my goodwill. Although he didnt perform at superstar level, he was still different class on the ice. Just praying Chayka performs some magic to keep him. Fed up with Tocchet and the poor overall coaching other than the goaltending and drafting which has been excellent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Getting Hall gave me a buzz I've never had as a fan so Chayka has my goodwill. Although he didnt perform at superstar level, he was still different class on the ice. Just praying Chayka performs some magic to keep him. Fed up with Tocchet and the poor overall coaching other than the goaltending and drafting which has been excellent.
Does Chayka still have your goodwill if he keeps RT?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Does Chayka still have your goodwill if he keeps RT?

Wouldn't be happy but I'd have to think Chayka knows the situation better than me. He trades and negotiates like a GM but maybe doesnt handle coaches so well.

(Did I just use a Jakeyism to Jakey?) ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wouldn't be happy but I'd have to think Chayka knows the situation better than me. He trades and negotiates like a GM but maybe doesnt handle coaches so well.

(Did I just use a Jakeyism to Jakey?) ;)
I just wonder how much influence RT has over Chayka? The only thing that matters is "WINS". We have not being getting that. Proof is in the pudding. Running a hockey team is not like running some restaurant, so finding a proven, successful GM and coach is so very important. So far, both Chayka and RT have not had a winning record. Maybe Meruelo knows better than all of us and Chayka and RT will lead us to the promise land.:sarcasm:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
RT has had a long enough time as a head coach to get the book on him whether he is a good coach or not. The results would suggest that he isn't a very good Head Coach, he may be a great assistant coach and maybe that's where his premium lies, but it's certainly not as a head coach.

Fire Tocchet...Fire Chayka...he doesn't deserve to be the person to select the next Head Coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad