The Fire Everyone Thread

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
@rt for the record I agree 100% this organization needs to bring in a bonafide hockey person (please not Chiralli) or three.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan is an icon in AZ, most other could care less. They still call him a racist in Quebec. Young free agents to be may not even know who he is, the exception Matthews. He is not a HOF player so other than being a nice guy he would bring nothing to the bargaining table.
Could not disagree more. Doan will have to prove his worth on the business side of things, but make no mistake, the agents know Doan as a person. Players want to be associated with winners, and if Doan can demonstrate that, like Yzerman did, he will attract many free agents. You don't have to be a HOF player to be successful in the NHL management side of things.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The principle reason this franchise has been an unmitigated failure for the last quarter of a century has been botched on the job training. Really and truly. From Gretzky to the Ice Edge Clowns to Tocchet and Chayka. Unqualified and inexperienced hobbiests are the primary reason we’ve NEVER been able to make meaningful progress.

I love Shane Doan. But seriously. f*** every chance he has to just waltz into the NHL in a decision making role. It’s wholly unearned. f*** that. Go pay your dues Shane. Earn it. And thing is...

...I bet he agrees with me.
Doan knows that. I don't think he would accept a job if he knew he wasn't qualified for it. I would not want Doan as our GM at the moment, but looking at who we have now running our front office does not give me any confidence either.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Saw this deal proposed by a Minny fan...
  1. Schmaltz, Nick
  2. Raanta, Antti
  3. Goligoski, Alex
Additional Details:Wild get a good top 6 center and a stop-gap in net while Kahkonen develops.
ARI

1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Greenway, Jordan [RFA Rights]
  3. Stalock, Alex
Additional Details:Coyotes save nearly $9M in cap so they can re-sign Hall. They get a young RD that has shown he can play on the top pairing. Greenway has some good upside if he can hone his aggression. Stalock isn't as good as Raanta, but he's way cheaper and the Coyotes have Kuemper as their starter anyways.

Absolutely I would do this deal if just for the CAP relief but I think Dumba would be a great addition and I like Greenway.

Hall - Hayton - Garland
Keller - Dvorak - Greenway
Crouse - Stepan - Kessel
Grabner/Hinostroza - Pedersen? - Fischer

OEL - Dumba
Chychrun - Demers
Hjalmarsson - Soderstrom

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would like to have Doan back but I’m not sure why the team would “need” him. He was a good hockey player, and a great role model, face of the franchise type. But what would his value-add be, besides figurehead, goodwill ambassador, and marketing tool?
The Coyotes have to rid themselves of our current situation, bring in a proven, successful hockey person who Doan can learn from. Doan is no dummie, and he is light years ahead of Chayka in understanding the game and people. Doan has some business experience in the NHL as Sinurgy pointed out a few posts ago. We all know the NHL is not happy with the Coyotes with what has happened and I think they are putting pressure on Muerelo to bring in someone new.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Coyotes have to rid themselves of our current situation, bring in a proven, successful hockey person who Doan can learn from. Doan is no dummie, and he is light years ahead of Chayka in understanding the game and people. Doan has some business experience in the NHL as Sinurgy pointed out a few posts ago. We all know the NHL is not happy with the Coyotes with what has happened and I think they are putting pressure on Muerelo to bring in someone new.
No more OJT. Proven track-records, having grown through the ranks, paid dues, and learned lessons. Those are the only candidates I’d consider.

Gretzky was handed a coaching job at that highest level in the world, the NHL. He had zero experience. Never coached anything before in his whole life. He was a disaster.

Rick Tocchet retired and was immediately handed an NHL coaching job. Never coached in juniors or the minors. Just given an opportunity with no experience. He seemed to be a good assistant despite this. He’s been a disaster as a head coach.

Chayka went from private statistics tracking and analysis consultative services to an NHL front-office. Boom. Just like that. Grad-school to NHL. Did one year OJT and then was handed the keys to an NHL front-office. I can’t say if he’s been a disaster yet. I can say he’s made some tremendously costly mistakes due to inexperience. We’ve suffered as he’s learned the ropes.

No more f***ing OJT. If Doan wants a job with the Coyotes where he actually makes decisions, then he needs to go demonstrate that he can make really good, really productive decisions with t he Kamloops Blazers. If he develops a track-record of shrewd decision making and demonstrable success, then he can go try to to repeat those successes in Tucson. If he can do that, then he can have the keys. Not before that.

Damn. Do we NEVER learn?!?!?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No more OJT. Proven track-records, having grown through the ranks, paid dues, and learned lessons. Those are the only candidates I’d consider.

Gretzky was handed a coaching job at that highest level in the world, the NHL. He had zero experience. Never coached anything before in his whole life. He was a disaster.

Rick Tocchet retired and was immediately handed an NHL coaching job. Never coached in juniors or the minors. Just given an opportunity with no experience. He seemed to be a good assistant despite this. He’s been a disaster as a head coach.

Chayka went from private statistics tracking and analysis consultative services to an NHL front-office. Boom. Just like that. Grad-school to NHL. Did one year OJT and then was handed the keys to an NHL front-office. I can’t say if he’s been a disaster yet. I can say he’s made some tremendously costly mistakes due to inexperience. We’ve suffered as he’s learned the ropes.

No more f***ing OJT. If Doan wants a job with the Coyotes where he actually makes decisions, then he needs to go demonstrate that he can make really good, really productive decisions with t he Kamloops Blazers. If he develops a track-record of shrewd decision making and demonstrable success, then he can go try to to repeat those successes in Tucson. If he can do that, then he can have the keys. Not before that.

Doan can learn in the NHL, but if he starts in Tucson, so be it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why the hell would you want that? Why have yet another completely unqualified person just “figure it out later”?
I didn't say that. I don't want Doan to be our GM now, but he is more than qualified to start as an AGM is Tucson and work his way up.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd rather see Doan in more of a PR type of job to start out. Like special assistant to the President of the organization or something like that. Let him float around and learn from all the management, coaches, GM, president, etc. He can do a bunch of media stuff to try and get the community pumped up and work with some of the power forwards in organization from time to time. After he does a few years of that, he and the team would have a better idea of the best path for him, coaching or management.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd rather see Doan in more of a PR type of job to start out. Like special assistant to the President of the organization or something like that. Let him float around and learn from all the management, coaches, GM, president, etc. He can do a bunch of media stuff to try and get the community pumped up and work with some of the power forwards in organization from time to time. After he does a few years of that, he and the team would have a better idea of the best path for him, coaching or management.
If he want to make management decisions he can do it in Kamloops. If he’s good enough at it, he can try in Tucson. If he’s good enough then Phoenix. He’s not going to want to pay his dues. He won’t want to move away from home. So forget it.

He should have a figurehead job. Goodwill ambassador. At most, he could work his way up to a prospect development position. Like Steve Sullivan’s last job with our organization before moving up to AGM (a position he only got because we were broke and Pickens were slim-totall bargain hunting dive).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hope you’re all aware for the last two years Doan has been working directly under Colin Campbell in the NHL’s hockey ops department.

If he wanted to learn the business end of things then he’s already in the right place for it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s absolutely not even close to qualified for that job.
We don't know what Doan is thinking, but if he is eyeing management he will have to prove himself, and I would love for him to do that with the Yotes. If that means scouting for a few years, AC with Tucson or whatever, but we need good people in this organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nothing wrong with this plan, but I'm not sure I want him learning from our current group of management and coaches.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Read my post again. I wasn't talking about Doan the player. You are "fake news".
Okay, I read again. You still make no sense here. The only winning he's done on the front that can even remotely be considered management is when he played a key role in getting the lock out to end. Hardly a scenario where players are going to feel they are associated with a winner of the ilk of Steve Yzerman.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Okay, I read again. You still make no sense here. The only winning he's done on the front that can even remotely be considered management is when he played a key role in getting the lock out to end. Hardly a scenario where players are going to feel they are associated with a winner of the ilk of Steve Yzerman.
Yzerman proved himself, or at least he had some experience with Detroit until he went to Tampa. Again, I'm talking front office, not the player. I also said Doan would have to prove himself BEFORE he gets a chance to be GM of any NHL team. There is a learning curve, no doubt about it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

As you might remember I hated Gretzky as a coach and said that he coached as a hobby and not as a profession. Gretzky saved this franchise from relocating and coaching was what he demanded in return. C’est la vie.
I’m advocating bringing back Doaner the way the DBacks brought back Luis Gonzalez. If Doan has the chops for more he can show it by working his way up the ladder.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think this play-in has bought Tocchet next season. He's signed anyway, so he'll go in as a lameduck. We're not tied down if we're sucking a month or two in and want to fire him then.

I could see him getting dumped after the play-in if we get embarrassed. Or he gets an extension if we win a round or two.

Edit: What will these big name coaches like Boudreau or Laviolette command? 5 million? Keep in mind we're paying Tocchet 1.5 mil either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad