TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Just watched the latest episode.

Space epi-pen. :facepalm: Yeah, okay. Sure.

A disturbing lack of Amos this week.

The show doesn't explain anything to you, you're expected to catch up on your own.

The 'space epi-pen', is an emergency pen full of oxygenated blood. Onboard most ships there exists an emergency tracking system. If one were to find them selves in vacuum and they shot themselves full of that oxygenated blood, then the ship (If the person is close enough) would be able to tell the person is still alive and subsequently overrides the access to the airlock to save them.

It was a gamble that could have easily failed, fortunately though the Chetzemoka was still within distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The show doesn't explain anything to you, you're expected to catch up on your own.

The 'space epi-pen', is an emergency pen full of oxygenated blood. Onboard most ships there exists an emergency tracking system. If one were to find them selves in vacuum and they shot themselves full of that oxygenated blood, then the ship (If the person is close enough) would be able to tell the person is still alive and subsequently overrides the access to the airlock to save them.

It was a gamble that could have easily failed, fortunately though the Chetzemoka was still within distance.

I think the biggest issue is that people are so used to seeing completely unrealistic depictions of people exposed to a vacuum that a more realistic scene comes off as "fake". This is a common occurrence with a lot of movie tropes when something else goes for realism.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I think the biggest issue is that people are so used to seeing completely unrealistic depictions of people exposed to a vacuum that a more realistic scene comes off as "fake". This is a common occurrence with a lot of movie tropes when something else goes for realism.

Indeed, which is why the Expanse is such a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Blender

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It's like hoe early on in the show there was a bunch of complaints about the ships going "backwards". :laugh:

Not gonna lie, I was fooled at first too but I quickly caught on. I hadn't read the novels yet so I was expecting more light SciFi.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I feel extremely un-observant for having never noticed ships going "backwards" on the show. I want to believe that it's just because it's never subconsciously struck me as wrong. I'll certainly pay attention to that from now on, though.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I feel extremely un-observant for having never noticed ships going "backwards" on the show. I want to believe that it's just because it's never subconsciously struck me as wrong. I'll pay attention to that from now on, though, which will be fun.
It's most common in traveling scenes where they are approaching a destination, and I guess it threw people off because in most sci-fi you never see ships turn around and burn to slow down for half of their trip.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's most common in traveling scenes where they are approaching a destination, and I guess it threw people off because in most sci-fi you never see ships turn around and burn to slow down for half of their trip.

I may know why it hasn't thrown me off. It's all of the not-so-misspent hours in my youth playing Lunar Lander!

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Who knows what will be possible in a few hundred years. Show someone from the 1800's your cell phone, pure sorcery. I think as long as the show is consistent and they have used this EpiPen prior to this episode. What typically happens in Scifi is writers feel they need to come up with some new surprise. So Season 6 is the final season, seems like there are so many opportunities still for this show.

I don't think there has been one scene with leadership from Mars other than those leaders on ships.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Who knows what will be possible in a few hundred years. Show someone from the 1800's your cell phone, pure sorcery. I think as long as the show is consistent and they have used this EpiPen prior to this episode. What typically happens in Scifi is writers feel they need to come up with some new surprise. So Season 6 is the final season, seems like there are so many opportunities still for this show.

I don't think there has been one scene with leadership from Mars other than those leaders of ships.
That pen isn't pure science fiction even, it is in development and exists in real life. @RobBrown4PM posted the tweet about the author discussing it above as well. What we have now hasn't been tested in space and isn't as advanced obviously, but the concept is sound.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That pen isn't pure science fiction even, it is in development and exists in real life. @RobBrown4PM posted the tweet about the author discussing it above as well. What we have now hasn't been tested in space and isn't as advanced obviously, but the concept is sound.

I get the O2 part of it but someone explain the lack of pressure and blood boiling to me. I want the say the 1st movie I recall showing us with any exposure to space in a realistic way was 2010. Also, it's cold as shit!. I'm curious about some of the other factors. Naomi had no pressure suit on, right?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I get the O2 part of it but someone explain the lack of pressure and blood boiling to me. I want the say the 1st movie I recall showing us with any exposure to space in a realistic way was 2010. Also, it's cold as shit!. I'm curious about some of the other factors. Naomi had no pressure suit on, right?
The cold won't kill you as vacuum is a very good insulator, you'll die from the pressure and lack of oxygen long before that. In a vacuum the only way you lose heat is from radiation, so it will actually take a while for the cold to have a serious impact, and if you are in direct sunlight it would take even longer. The episode correctly showed that Naomi got a sunburn from the solar radiation on the side of her face exposed to the sun.

The lack of pressure is the biggest issue, as on Earth you can hold your breath for a few minutes, but in a vacuum you want to exhale first or your lungs can burst, and you will pass out after 15-20 seconds due to deoxygenated blood reaching your brain and causing you to lose consciousness. That's what the pen was for, to oxygenate her blood and give her more time to stay conscious. Due to the lack of pressure, the boiling point of liquids is far lower, so you could see the water evaporating from her tear ducts in the scene, and the water in her blood begins to evaporate as well so you see her skin begin to swell and burst.

We'll see next week, but she probably should have burned her hand on the outside of the ship as well, depending on how exposed the ship was to the sun.

The human body in space: Distinguishing fact from fiction - Science in the News

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There's a lot to like about this season, but I feel like it's all overwhelmed by the personal drama of the individual main characters and most of that drama hasn't really been engaging. Naomi, Filip, and Marco (in relation to the other two) is melodrama in the worst sense of the word.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's a lot to like about this season, but I feel like it's all overwhelmed by the personal drama of the individual main characters and most of that drama hasn't really been engaging. Naomi, Filip, and Marco (in relation to the other two) is melodrama in the worst sense of the word.

That family squabble does feel a bit like a soap opera. I don't hate it, but it's just not as engaging as it should be for how much they're dragging it out. It doesn't help that it's hard to imagine it ending in anything but the most predictable way. I'd love to be wrong and have Filip do something truly irredeemable like kill a main character (please be Alex) or be solely responsible for killing millions (not just helping his dad do it), but, so far, it's been predictable and a bit soapy. I haven't finished the last episode yet, but, hopefully, we move on from that or mix things up soon.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That family squabble does feel a bit like a soap opera. I don't hate it, but it's just not as engaging as it should be for how much they're dragging it out. It doesn't help that it's hard to imagine it ending in anything but the most predictable way. I'd love to be wrong and have Filip do something truly irredeemable like kill a main character (please be Alex) or be solely responsible for killing millions (not just helping his dad do it), but, so far, it's been predictable and a bit soapy. I haven't finished the last episode yet, but, hopefully, we move on from that or mix things up soon.

Still 3 more episodes in the season, which is almost 1/3 of it, so there's plenty of time.

I guess I'd just say that there isn't much in the way of a purely science fiction storyline this season. The show is still science fiction given its setting. And there are sci fi moments and even segments of episodes, usually involving a quick problem solve or other application of tech. There's always elements of those. Last season had its share of the same kind of political drama... Avasarela's campaign, Drummer and Ashford, Bobbie's criminal interlude. Those stories continued on into this season, but they weren't all we were getting. We haven't gotten anything at all involving the protomolecule itself. We haven't seen anything in the rings. Last season, we got all of the protomolecule stuff on Ilus, the eye infections/slugs, and the extended question of orbital mechanics with the Roci towing up the Barbipiccola. Not that they need to necessarily revisit the challenges of settling a new planet, of course.

After the first 4 seasons, I expect those kinds of storylines to be somewhere in the show, woven in with all that other stuff. Nothing really doing yet in that regard. They've spent so much time on everything else that there really hasn't been room for it, but I do miss it to this point.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I like Alex! It seems like Filip is going to turn on Marco at some point, and then Camina will swoop in to clean it up.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Still 3 more episodes in the season, which is almost 1/3 of it, so there's plenty of time.

I guess I'd just say that there isn't much in the way of a purely science fiction storyline this season. The show is still science fiction given its setting. And there are sci fi moments and even segments of episodes, usually involving a quick problem solve or other application of tech. There's always elements of those. Last season had its share of the same kind of political drama... Avasarela's campaign, Drummer and Ashford, Bobbie's criminal interlude. Those stories continued on into this season, but they weren't all we were getting. We haven't gotten anything at all involving the protomolecule itself. We haven't seen anything in the rings. Last season, we got all of the protomolecule stuff on Ilus, the eye infections/slugs, and the extended question of orbital mechanics with the Roci towing up the Barbipiccola. Not that they need to necessarily revisit the challenges of settling a new planet, of course.

After the first 4 seasons, I expect those kinds of storylines to be somewhere in the show, woven in with all that other stuff. Nothing really doing yet in that regard. They've spent so much time on everything else that there really hasn't been room for it, but I do miss it to this point.

As long as do not have Holden spending half an episode talking to ghosts, I'd rather have what they are doing this season. The episodes with the protomolecule and ring were by far the worst for me.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As long as do not have Holden spending half an episode talking to ghosts, I'd rather have what they are doing this season. The episodes with the protomolecule and ring were by far the worst for me.

Different things for different people. Without the protomolecule, this is basically just any political power drama, but set in space. There's little that would distinguish the story, though the setting would still be interesting.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Different things for different people. Without the protomolecule, this is basically just any political power drama, but set in space. There's little that would distinguish the story, though the setting would still be interesting.

That is the story for me, a realistic version of a possible future and conflict between these three groups or nations. The way they view each other and how that story plays out with some concepts I would not have thought of otherwise. How someone raised on Mars would deal with gravity on Earth? The belt being the outcasts. It's been said before, but this show is great at expressing different viewpoints with no good or bad guys. It's House of Cards in space at some times and there is nothing wrong with that, but then we get a badass space battle mixed in with some one-liners from Amos.

The thing that concerns me about the protomolecule is there are no limits with that story, it could diminish the quality of the show. After Holden became this conduit for the protomolecule I did not like his character as much, it was bit cheesy. I really like some of the characters and the story should focus on them, not the mysterious blue goo, zombie... I'm sure they will get back to it but I hope it's well done because some of last season was not that great.

The Martians we met in Season 1 on the Doniger (sp) were outstanding. Too bad they didn't stick around longer. There have been so many quality short term characters.

Reactions: Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This has been my least favorite part of the season as well. It has dragged on too much.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That was an amazing episode, very haunting. Dominique Tipper is an outstanding f***ing actress.

For those of you complaining about the lack of protomolecule please go and read the books, all of them. I can't say anymore without getting into major spoilorific territory.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Great episode. Tense almost all the way through.

Haven't said it yet but I've taken quite a liking to Drummer as a character in general. Slowly becoming one of my favorites.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Great episode. Tense almost all the way through.

Haven't said it yet but I've taken quite a liking to Drummer as a character in general. Slowly becoming one of my favorites.

Drummer was one of my favorite characters almost immediately, right when she’s on the drop ship with Miller and gave her speech, told him not to puke. I’m just waiting for her space blue lipstick

this last episode was a bit slow. I honestly thought Naomi might be dead. I’m not a huge fan of the new UN head . He’s a step down from some of the previous characters

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm still on Episode 7 and trying not to admire what a master manipulator Marco is. I mean, sure, he's evil to the core and I hate his guts... but he's really good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm still on Episode 7 and trying not to admire what a master manipulator Marco is. I mean, sure, he's evil to the core and I hate his guts... but he's really good.
He's a narcissist and displaying pretty typical narcissist behavior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad