TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm tempted to watch them, but I have a lot of stuff (mostly holiday related) that I want to get through this week, so I think that I may wait until after Christmas to begin. Then again, I have (coincidentally) three Star Trek: Discovery episodes that I was thinking of watching in the next week. Am I actually prioritizing Discovery over The Expanse? What's wrong with me?:help:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm tempted to watch them, but I have a lot of stuff (mostly holiday related) that I want to get through this week, so I think that I may wait until after Christmas to begin. Then again, I have (coincidentally) three Star Trek: Discovery episodes that I was thinking of watching in the next week. Am I actually prioritizing Discovery over The Expanse? What's wrong with me?:help:

Dude, you need to see a doctor.

Reactions: Blender and Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
giphy.gif

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Man, its too bad this show isn't getting the more love that it deserves. One of the best sci-fi shows ever, and could end up being the best sci-fi show ever. Sometimes it has low moments where episodes are not the greatest, especially season 1, but all that just builds up to moments that are just jaw-dropping edge of your seat stuff.

Today's episode was utter madness. I'm so disappointed they choose the weekly releases, this season is amazing so far.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Then again, I have (coincidentally) three Star Trek: Discovery episodes that I was thinking of watching in the next week. Am I actually prioritizing Discovery over The Expanse? What's wrong with me?:help:

As someone who is watching both, and even likes Discovery, you are doing yourself a disservice of epic proportions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As someone who is watching both, and even likes Discovery, you are doing yourself a disservice of epic proportions.

I was partly joking. I'm just saving The Expanse until I have free time after the holidays because it's a show that I want to give my full attention to. Discovery, on the other hand, is something that I just put on while I'm doing something else. I may knock it out sooner because of that, but The Expanse is going to get my most valuable time and fullest attention.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
God dammit! Fred still had one more book to go before he kicked the bucket. Oh well, at least Coleman is still on The Orville.

The destruction of Earth was pretty epic, that last rock was spectacular.

I was not expecting that spider robot. Other than fly able drones, I don't think we ever saw a proper robot in the books. It's good to see some true robots in the show.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wow, Shohreh Aghdashloo guessed the series length correctly, when she first toured the sets with Wes. "5 or 6 seasons minimum" she said to him. She had read the books before so...

Reactions: Blender

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm thinking of starting this show soon, does it start off slow or is it easy to get into?

It starts off somewhat slow, but quickly speeds up.

In the first season, the main plot centres around a noir, detective, kidnapping plot. The secondary and tertiary plots have lots of political wrangling and action.

Three things:

1) The show doesn't hold your hand and explain a lot to you. You're left on your own to find out why this or that thing is happening.

2) The show is rich in (mostly) accurate science. If you don't know anything about how travel in space works, you might be wondering why the ships are 'flying' forwards with their engines on.

3) The show is as grey as it comes. There are no specified good or bad guys. You, the viewer, are left to decide who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Depends. Lots of people say the first season is a bit hard to get into, but personally I was hooked on it right away. So if you end up the former it's definitely worth it to stick with it.

It starts off somewhat slow, but quickly speeds up.

In the first season, the main plot centres around a noir, detective, kidnapping plot. The secondary and tertiary plots have lots of political wrangling and action.

Three things:

1) The show doesn't hold your hand and explain a lot to you. You're left on your own to find out why this or that thing is happening.

2) The show is rich in (mostly) accurate science. If you don't know anything about how travel in space works, you might be wondering why the ships are 'flying' forwards with their engines on.

3) The show is as grey as it comes. There are no specified good or bad guys. You, the viewer, are left to decide who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

I tried once a while back and it failed to do anything for me. After reading up on the characters, setting, politics, I tried again and it clicked.

Cool, thanks guys! I'll check it out sometime this week while I have the time away from work. I wish I had the time to read the books first, they sound great.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I'm thinking of starting this show soon, does it start off slow or is it easy to get into?
I wouldn't say it starts slow, but I can see some people giving up at the beginning of season 1 (even though I liked it), maybe up to episode 6-7. Acting and writing can be inconsistent, but the show is trying to sort of find itself early on. But let me just tell you, end of season 1 and beginning of season 2 jumps to another level and if you're not hooked by that time, you'll never be.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 5 was mostly a catch up episode where we see everyone absorbing what happened in episode 4, but still really good.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm starting this show again. Didn't make it through season 1 the 1st time and there are several aspects of it I find really intriguing. It's heavy for sure, not something to casually pay attention to. I'm disappointed one of the characters I really liked got his head taken off early on :(. That guy was hilarious.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally started the season. I forgot how good this show is. I don't even particularly like the characters, outside of Amos, or even the storylines. It's mostly the general writing, settings, production values, seriousness and realism that grab me. In the first minute of the first episode, the camera flew into a space station while spinning around, flipping what's up and down, and I geeked out. It's so refreshing to get some honest science fiction again after watching so much space fantasy in the last year (Discovery, Picard, The Mandalorian, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagoskycam

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I envisioned Konecheck looking a lot different, but I really like his actor.

Two gripes about that particular storyline

1) I felt the guards should have acted a lot more terrified/angry to one of Thier own getting killed, especially like that.

2) They should have shown more of the hell scape that is now.... Well, every where.

Also, they mentioned millions in the death tolls.

Over 15 billion die in the books, not all at once, but Earth does get completely and utterly obliterated. There should be more than a couple million in the initial death tolls.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From Episode 2...

Amos: I'm not here to take anything that belongs to you.

*Swipes bottle of bourbon on his way out*

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad