TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
To people who have not yet read the books, but enjoy the show, or at the very least want to get into it, Season 5 is going to be the 'Empire Strikes Back', the 'Season 3 of GoT', the 'Season 1 of Lost' of this show.

So much is going to happen that I urge anyone who is even remotely interested in Sci-fi to give the show a go and catch up before Season 5 drops.

Reactions: TaLoN

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Best show on TV is back. Great trailer and I'm really excited for the new season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it's a pretty impressive achievement.

The books are great, but the visuals and the style of the show really add a lot in terms of providing a fascinating canvas to the universe.

The space sequences are on par with Battlestar Galactica (even better, really, considering the advancements in technology) and the political intrigue and character development is equal to it as well IMO.

What is exciting about Expanse is that, given it's based on adapted material, you have more confidence that it will end in a manner that works.

Reactions: Blender

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know nothing of the books so based on them how many seasons can the show last for?

Well, it's Season 5 and we're on Book 5. The series is currently at 8 books with a final 9th book pending.

I'm not sure if they will try to combine books if it looks like they can't follow the series as closely with the show.

There are also prequel type novellas that may be brought into the plot.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Well, it's Season 5 and we're on Book 5. The series is currently at 8 books with a final 9th book pending.

I'm not sure if they will try to combine books if it looks like they can't follow the series as closely with the show.

There are also prequel type novellas that may be brought into the plot.

Season 1 did most of Book 1 (Leviathan Wakes)

Season 2 finished up the remainder of Book 1 and followed through on most of Book 2 (Caliban's War)

Season 3 finished the remainder of book 2 and completed all of Book 3 (Abaddon's Gate)

Season 4 finished all of Book 4 (Cibola Burn) and covered a bit of the novella (Gods of Risk)

Season 5 will probably finish all of Book 5 (Nemesis Game) and include quite a bit if not all of the novella (The Churn), which covers Amos' history.

For the most part the series has stayed true to the books. All of the major plot points have been replicated and shown on screen. Some characters and plots have been changed or dropped. Probably the most notable of these is Ashford. In the books he's a very forgettable part-time antagonist.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Watching that trailer it felt like the political drama of the three seasons have returned. Season 4 really was all about what was happening on the planet that it really lost some of that big picture feel of the previous 3. I'm excited the show seems to be going back to that.

I have not read the books, so the above comment is really about the show only.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To people who have not yet read the books, but enjoy the show, or at the very least want to get into it, Season 5 is going to be the 'Empire Strikes Back', the 'Season 3 of GoT', the 'Season 1 of Lost' of this show.

So much is going to happen that I urge anyone who is even remotely interested in Sci-fi to give the show a go and catch up before Season 5 drops.
It's going to be THE BEST season of THE BEST show on television

Love the books! I've been reading them again, currently rereading Cibola Burn

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It's going to be THE BEST season of THE BEST show on television

Love the books! I've been reading them again, currently rereading Cibola Burn

NM was my favorite of the books, up until Tiamats Wrath. Man, those first 4 words :help:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I started watching this show this past weekend based on this thread. I'm loving it so far. I'm about halfway through season 2. I never read the books but the show's settings and atmosphere remind me of Mass Effect (one of my favorite video game series).

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Almost finished with season 2. Jared Harris is really an incredible actor. The guy is speaking an accent that isn't even real and it sounds completely authentic, much more than anyone else speaking belter creole to this point.

Love the comment about Miller, the subtle lack of concern over what happens to Earth and how he keeps trying to bypass Holden to get to Naomi.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Season 6 will be the last. Cas Anwar won't be back for that.

The Expanse Renewed for Sixth and Final Season — Who's Not Returning?

I imagined that Anvar would not be returning, which I was ok with. However, I can't wrap my head around why they're stopping the show after season 6. Amazon and Ty and Dan have been silent on that bit, though they've mentioned that the Anvar situation nor the events in PR were factors.

My theory is that they couldn't get most of the actors to renew their contracts after season 6.

Reactions: Blender

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Season 1 did most of Book 1 (Leviathan Wakes)

Season 2 finished up the remainder of Book 1 and followed through on most of Book 2 (Caliban's War)

Season 3 finished the remainder of book 2 and completed all of Book 3 (Abaddon's Gate)

Season 4 finished all of Book 4 (Cibola Burn) and covered a bit of the novella (Gods of Risk)

Season 5 will probably finish all of Book 5 (Nemesis Game) and include quite a bit if not all of the novella (The Churn), which covers Amos' history.

For the most part the series has stayed true to the books. All of the major plot points have been replicated and shown on screen. Some characters and plots have been changed or dropped. Probably the most notable of these is Ashford. In the books he's a very forgettable part-time antagonist.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't do the full-on horror show on Eros Station that we saw in the books... but otherwise, yeah it's been pretty much right on.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Almost finished with season 2. Jared Harris is really an incredible actor. The guy is speaking an accent that isn't even real and it sounds completely authentic, much more than anyone else speaking belter creole to this point.

Love the comment about Miller, the subtle lack of concern over what happens to Earth and how he keeps trying to bypass Holden to get to Naomi.

Jared Harris is an amazing actor, so many great performances.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw a story headline on my phone yesterday that read "Amazon cancels The Expanse, but leaves fans a parting gift." Yeah, a "parting gift" of two more full seasons. I've seen a lot of clickbait, but that might take the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender and Fripp

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Season 6 will be the last. Cas Anwar won't be back for that.

The Expanse Renewed for Sixth and Final Season — Who's Not Returning?
The weird thing is Alcon Entertainment hired someone to investigate and amid those investigations, they dropped him for the 6th season, so I mean...I guess he is guilty?

Otherwise, they would just say his status is currently suspended after investigation, right?

Because Alcon did their investigation starting June 2020.
November 2020, he's booted from the show in the 6th season.
The Expanse's Cas Anvar Won't Be in Season 6 | Den of Geek

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
One of two things likely happened.

Either they couldn't get some or all of the main actors on board for 9 (maybe more seasons)

Or

Alcon and the production and writing teams didn't want to commit to 9 seasons or more.

As much as I hate this, I can understand that the people involved have other wants/interests aside from the Expanse.

Edit: Everything after BA would be incredibly difficult to portray on screen. I'm not going to spoil anything, but alot of what happens would require massive budgets, and while Amazon is far from poor I doubt the production teams want to create a bazillion sets and commit to Hollywood block buster level CGI

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Really good so far. I love the long single shot takes that have taken us around a multitude of vistas so far, you can really tell the budget has been increased by quite a bit.

Wes Chatham continues to absolutely nail Amos out of the park, even though I always envisioned him looking more like the actor playing Cyn, Brent Saxton.

Was not expecting Erich to look like a scrawny Mark Zuckerberg. They nailed the arm, however, they did not nail the ceiling turret I was hoping for. To bad we may never get to see Erich's upgraded arm.

I am beyond elated they brought Bull in. He's exactly as I envisioned him in the books.

One of Drummer's crew members/family being named Michio is awesome fan service.

*Don't click this one unless you have read Nemesis Games
Goodbye, Earth *welp*

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched the first three episodes of the new season, great stuff as expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->