TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm through Season 2 definitely has some great moments and characters.

Shohren absolutely kills it in every scene, I'm not sure how I'll like her role moving forward that it's changed. Amos, I'm happy they expanded his character a bit outside of a thug - great one liners.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That episode dragged a bit. I really couldn't care less about Amos on Earth now.

Its a very, very important part of his development, atleast in the books.

Peaches is probably the most important person in his life, next to Holden.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I like the latest episode, it was a bit slow at times but it was mostly a character development episode.

A bit too much walking with Amos and Peaches, but I thought the part at the end was really good. Amos is a person who has been trying to "be good" and help people for a while now, but he completely lacks any kind of moral compass. So throughout the series he has tried to identify good people and he puts his efforts towards helping and following them, i.e. Naomi, Holden, Anna, Prax, etc. He's off on his own again and here he's just murdered someone to take his stuff, and when Peaches tells him that was wrong he realizes he needs to get back to his crew ASAP because he's lost without someone else being his moral compass, he just falls back into survival mode.

The scene where the pirates tried to board the Razorback was great. I don't think they were expecting a Martian Marine to be greeting them at the airlock...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I like the latest episode, it was a bit slow at times but it was mostly a character development episode.

A bit too much walking with Amos and Peaches, but I thought the part at the end was really good. Amos is a person who has been trying to "be good" and help people for a while now, but he completely lacks any kind of moral compass. So throughout the series he has tried to identify good people and he puts his efforts towards helping and following them, i.e. Naomi, Holden, Anna, Prax, etc. He's off on his own again and here he's just murdered someone to take his stuff, and when Peaches tells him that was wrong he realizes he needs to get back to his crew ASAP because he's lost without someone else being his moral compass, he just falls back into survival mode.

The scene where the pirates tried to board the Razorback was great. I don't think they were expecting a Martian Marine to be greeting them at the airlock...

Amos didn't kill the guy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Man I had almost forgotten how good this show is. One episode into season 5 and all the memories of the first four I binged rushed back. Might give it a full rewatch sometime. Great show. Excited to see where the season goes.

Still think this show is slept on by many.

I'm thinking of starting this show soon, does it start off slow or is it easy to get into?
I know asked and answered. But I though the first couple episodes were pretty bad when I first watched. Felt like the pacing and writing was sloppy and unsure of itself and was matched by actors that felt...uncomfortable in their new roles is the best way I can put it. Considering how good it gets and how fast, I really put this in the highest tiers of television programming and it has, in my opinion one of the rockiest starts in that tier of shows. But it's 100% worth sticking with.

Reactions: Osprey and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Man I had almost forgotten how good this show is. One episode into season 5 and all the memories of the first four I binged rushed back. Might give it a full rewatch sometime. Great show. Excited to see where the season goes.

Still think this show is slept on by many.

I know asked and answered. But I though the first couple episodes were pretty bad when I first watched. Felt like the pacing and writing was sloppy and unsure of itself and was matched by actors that felt...uncomfortable in their new roles is the best way I can put it. Considering how good it gets and how fast, I really put this in the highest tiers of television programming and it has, in my opinion one of the rockiest starts in that tier of shows. But it's 100% worth sticking with.
Yea the first few episodes are almost all slow world building, and it's required to establish the series but it isn't the most gripping television.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched Episode 4 the other night and agree that it's one of the best of the entire series.

That was my reaction when I started the season last week. I forgot how good the show is. It was also quite a shock after sitting through 12 weeks of Star Trek: Discovery. I can only imagine that people who think that that show is good haven't seen any good sci-fi recently to compare it to.

I actually wasn't a big fan of the first season and a half. The "detective noir in space" arc seemed hokey and didn't appeal to me (and the muted colors that went along with it didn't help, either). Once that resolved halfway through Season 2, though, the series really picked up and the next 10 or so episodes (from halfway through S2 to halfway through S3) were my favorite of the first three seasons and, maybe, the series. My advice to new viewers who aren't feeling the show early, then, is to stick with it at least until the midway point of Season 2. If it doesn't hook you then, it probably won't ever.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched Episode 4 the other night and agree that it's one of the best of the entire series.

That was my reaction when I started the season last week. I forgot how good the show is. It was also quite a shock after sitting through 12 weeks of Star Trek: Discovery. I can only imagine that people who think that that show is good haven't seen any good sci-fi recently to compare it to.

I actually wasn't a big fan of the first season and a half. The "detective noir in space" arc seemed hokey and didn't appeal to me (and the muted colors that went along with it didn't help, either). Once that resolved halfway through Season 2, though, the series really picked up and the next 10 or so episodes (from halfway through S2 to halfway through S3) were my favorite of the first three seasons and, maybe, the series. My advice to new viewers who aren't feeling the show early, then, is to stick with it at least until the midway point of Season 2. If it doesn't hook you then, it probably won't ever.
There was way more Jared Harris in season 1 though, so that was a high point. Unfortunately he is so high in demand now that getting him guest appearances probably isn't practical.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I watched the pilot and this comment is right on the nose. You can tell the show has tons of potential and the budget is great -- no issues with the cinematography, effects, etc. Everything looks great. But yeah, the actors didn't look that comfortable in their roles.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No f***ing kidding about episode 4 being the best to date. Whew.

Bummed that
Fred Johnson bit it. I don't always feel like Fred's narrative is consistent but Chad Coleman's screen presence was welcome in every scene he was in. Right up there with Jared Harris as Anderson Dawes and Shohreh Aghdashloo as Avasarala in terms of actors who just scene stole every chance they get.

I watched the pilot and this comment is right on the nose. You can tell the show has tons of potential and the budget is great -- no issues with the cinematography, effects, etc. Everything looks great. But yeah, the actors didn't look that comfortable in their roles.
I really only stuck with it because of all the praise I'd seen online. And I guess the production value hinted that the praise may have been correct. As I watched the stiff, almost nervous energy from the cast all I could think was "well it was a SyFy channel show" but the longer it went on the more the pacing and acting found its footing. And the funny thing is it's not like the actors didn't understand their characters' traits or anything. Everyone just sort of settled into them. No one had some dramatic character change outside of maybe Avasarala who starts off reserved, stately and pensive and becomes more hot tempered, foul mouthed, and generally gregarious (for the better I'd say).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Its a very, very important part of his development, atleast in the books.

Peaches is probably the most important person in his life, next to Holden.

Didn't get that at all from ep5. They really don't seem to know each other that well. I thought they were siblings or a former couple, but they were in the woods talking about whether or not their parents were still alive and making other getting to know you kind of chitchat.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Please don't tell me the ending scene of this week's episode was in the books as well? Because if people had issues with Leia scene in TLJ, they should be furious with this one. :facepalm:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Please don't tell me the ending scene of this week's episode was in the books as well? Because if people had issues with Leia scene in TLJ, they should be furious with this one. :facepalm:
I assume you are referring to the Naomi scene. Was probably a bit long, but not completely absurd. You can stay conscious for about 15-20 seconds in space apparently until all the oxygen in your blood is used up, I assume that injection was supposed to oxygenate her blood and keep her conscious for longer. It would have been better if the ships were closer together though, and we'll see how messed up she is in the next episode because a lot of blood vessels on her skin should be swollen or have burst.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I assume you are referring to the Naomi scene. Was probably a bit long, but not completely absurd. You can stay conscious for about 15-20 seconds in space apparently until all the oxygen in your blood is used up, I assume that injection was supposed to oxygenate her blood and keep her conscious for longer. It would have been better if the ships were closer together though, and we'll see how messed up she is in the next episode because a lot of blood vessels on her skin should be swollen or have burst.

Absolutely. The distance was far too long to make the scene believable.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Absolutely. The distance was far too long to make the scene believable.
The thing is it's still probably the most realistic depiction of a person exposed to space I have seen in a tv series or movie.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm a little bit into season 5 and pretty much just binged the entire series the last couple of weeks. A few thoughts as this season is very good so far. Great show with outstanding characters, depth and quality writing. Almost every character exhibits intelligence, I guess there are no dummies in the future, just people with different agendas.

Season 1 was a challenge, I think mostly the introduction felt more like a bad detective show for a bit. Speaking of that, whatever happened to water is more valuable than gold.... They barely mention the scarcity of water anymore. I really enjoyed the setup and cold war between Mars and Earth, the look and feel on the Martials overall Season 1. I feel like they have taken Mars down too quickly and would have preferred they fleshed out that story longer. They almost seem like a non-factor at times vs. what I thought they were going to be.

I did not enjoy many of the episodes when they 1st entered the ring. I kind of wish they would move on from the proto molecule story a bit. The entire Miller talking Holden... ect.... It kind of provides the writers with this anything can happen at any moment option to get out of a jam. I much prefer the politics and jocking for power and the realistic depiction on space. I don't mind that different factions are trying to weaponize it, some of the rest of it is silly. The wormholes are fine and could lead to other great storylines but I feel like they didn't even need to to there, there were so many good things going on between Earth, Mars and the Belt.

Reactions: Osprey

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm a little bit into season 5 and pretty much just binged the entire series the last couple of weeks. A few thoughts as this season is very good so far. Great show with outstanding characters, depth and quality writing. Almost every character exhibits intelligence, I guess there are no dummies in the future, just people with different agendas.

Season 1 was a challenge, I think mostly the introduction felt more like a bad detective show for a bit. Speaking of that, whatever happened to water is more valuable than gold.... They barely mention the scarcity of water anymore. I really enjoyed the setup and cold war between Mars and Earth, the look and feel on the Martials overall Season 1. I feel like they have taken Mars down too quickly and would have preferred they fleshed out that story longer. They almost seem like a non-factor at times vs. what I thought they were going to be.

I did not enjoy many of the episodes when they 1st entered the ring. I kind of wish they would move on from the proto molecule story a bit. The entire Miller talking Holden... ect.... It kind of provides the writers with this anything can happen at any moment option to get out of a jam. I much prefer the politics and jocking for power and the realistic depiction on space. I don't mind that different factions are trying to weaponize it, some of the rest of it is silly. The wormholes are fine and could lead to other great storylines but I feel like they didn't even need to to there, there were so many good things going on between Earth, Mars and the Belt.

I'd guess there's no or few dummies involved in actual space work who are the only people we really see.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

My thoughts are similar. I groan slightly whenever Holden is on screen and am not much of the fan of the proto molecule or rings. I very much prefer the cold war between Earth, Mars and the Belt, since it's more relatable and realistic. I love the idea that, 100 years from now, different points in the Solar System could be at war with one another. I could do with more episodes like S05E04.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
On a side note, Camina has to be one of my favourite characters. I thought for several seasons some Russian actor was playing her, shocked to see an interview with her as she looked so different.

The best-repeated line from the series, "Here comes the juice!"

Amos after Chrisjen asked him how what he knew about wearing pumps, "I didn't always work in space." I was dying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad